Sexuality is both an attribute and constitutive (Cenzon, 2008). According to Thomas Hobbes (n.d.), “Man is a collection of base, animal urges. To act on them and experience sinful pleasures would be morally no different from taking a breath.” In a word, since “sexual desire is an instinctive reaction in animals” (Taflinger, 1996) and we are a collection of animal urges. There is something natural and innate, similar to animals, for human beings to have a certain sex appeal for others.
Sex in advertising or “sex sells” are advertisements that show either the female and male body in order to attract buyers. Ever since advertising was established as a moneymaking business, sex has been utilized with it since it was proven that it could improve interests and sales. Sexuality is considered to be one of the most reliable tools of advertising. However, some companies can overuse our natural sexuality. Thus, more and more sexual images are not connected with the object being advertised. Which leaves some humans cheated in a way sinc...
... middle of paper ...
...ng sexual innuendoes in advertisements help people to remember and buy the product that are being advertised? Does putting too much sexual images change our view towards sex? What are the positive and negative effects it can have to the people looking at it? Should marketers stop putting sexual images on their product and should they change the way in which they sell their products? Do putting innuendoes in advertisements work for both men and women? And is bombarding us with images change societies’ view about human body.
Beach, Tare. “T&A at Trade Shows.” Ebscohost. Wright State university Lib. Wireless Review.
11/01/99, Vol. 16 Issue 21, p84, 1p. 10 May 2010.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- When you go to Epifanio de los Santos Avenue (EDSA), we are bombarded with huge billboards in hope to catch the attention of passengers, which include pictures of people in lingerie or underwear. A few months ago, there was a controversy surrounding the Philippine Volcanoes, a Philippine rugby team, for posing too provocatively for an underwear company in EDSA. It was deemed “inappropriate” by the mayor of Mandaluyong, Benhur Abalos and Valenzuela mayor, Sherwin Gatchalian (Naredo & Pedrasa, 2011).... [tags: Advertising ]
976 words (2.8 pages)
- Sex should not sell Do not ever underestimate the persuasive influential power, of gorgeous women with more cleavage, or the power of a gentleman with a muscular body, to increase the consumer’s consumption. Tom Reichert in his book “The Erotic History of Advertising” emphasizes the idea that sometimes this frequent use of the sex sells technique increases some consumer interest and builds a strong brand identity (Reichert). In fact, Sex was used to advertisements since the 1900’s when the tobacco companies used some erotic images on their cigarettes’ boxes (o’bar).... [tags: The Erotic History of Advertising, Tom Reichert]
874 words (2.5 pages)
- How do things sell. Where do phrases like “sex sells” come from. Advertisements are all around us on a daily basis. Whether you are driving in your car and pass by a large advertisement on a building, or you see an Ad for jewelry in a magazine. The sole purpose of these advertisements is to reel in the consumers. Hook, line, and sinker. Advertisements help one visually memorize a product, and attract the consumer. They may use propaganda, hooks, repetition, claims, association, bandwagon, and promotions.... [tags: Advertising, Marketing, Beer, Sex in advertising]
805 words (2.3 pages)
- Madonna Madonna has been a very influential female "popstar" over the last 20 years: to sell her music she has publicised herself through the media, and through this media she has stuck to the concept that "sex does sell". Madonna was born on the 16th of August 1958 as Louise Veronica Ciccone, in Bay City, Michigan. She began her journey into the most influential industry and medium by moving to New York to become a ballerina. From this young age she was very aware of the human body and the way it is perceived.... [tags: sex does sell, sex and music]
1070 words (3.1 pages)
- When most of us think about the sex industry, we think of prostitution or pornography. Usually people in that line of work chose to be in it, but that is not always the case. Human sex trafficking has become the fasted growing business among organized crime, and the third largest enterprise in the world, generating more than $31 billion dollars in profit a year, according to the FBI. Sex trafficking is the most common form of modern day slavery; in the U.S. it consists of mostly women and children between the ages of 12-18.... [tags: sex industry, prostitution, sex trade]
651 words (1.9 pages)
- Sex Sells During the Superbowl in 2015, I remember watching an advertisement where Kate Upton was in a drive-in theater like in the 1990‘s. Out of nowhere, she started taking off her sweater which reveals too much skin and doing really sexual awkward poses while eating the burger. I didn’t realize after watching it, it was an advertisement for Carl’s Jr’s new Jalapeno burger. This advertisement was an example of sex appeal which is used as an effective marketing strategy to attract attention to a product.... [tags: Advertising, Marketing, Sex in advertising]
1570 words (4.5 pages)
- “The U.S. Congress defined and classified human trafficking into two categories sex trafficking and labor trafficking the TVPA. As stated previously, sex trafficking involves the recruitment, harboring, transportation, provision, or obtaining of a person for the purpose of a commercial sex act in which a commercial sex act is induced by force, fraud, or coercion, or in which the person forced to perform such an act is younger than age 18. A commercial sex act means any sex act on account of which anything of value is given to or received by any person.... [tags: Prostitution, Human trafficking, Sex industry]
2233 words (6.4 pages)
- The definition of advertising is outdated. It was previously, to endorse a product and praise goodness to induce the public to buy. They are now brainwashing consumers to buy their products using images to sell the product. The advertiser’s aim is to make the product look as good as it can through an attractive image. There are statistics, which I obtained from a Dolly Magazine, 16th May 2000, which proves that one out of four people in Australia buy a product because of the image shown in the advertisment.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
1205 words (3.4 pages)
- The Effectiveness of Sex Appeal in Advertisement Sex is everywhere. It's in every magazine, on every television station, and in every movie. Sex appears in advertisements for everything from shoes to food to computers. It is understandable why advertisers use sex appeal since it sets their ads apart from the countless others. Ads with sex can be more memorable, but sometimes too much sex overpowers the ad, drawing attention away from the brand. Overdone sex appeal can offend the target audiences, therefore causing the ad to be ineffective.... [tags: Sex Media Advertisements Essays]
655 words (1.9 pages)
- Sex is everywhere in our society. It is on TV, magazines, radio, billboards, and basically anywhere you look today. People cannot get away from sex in advertising because so many companies use it. Sex appeals are used in advertising all the time, and people love to look at it because 'Sometimes people listen better with their eyes' (Steel 137). Sex in advertising is an effective technique that is used today. It helps companies successfully sell their product in our market. Of course it has to be directed at the right audience, and sold at the right places in order for it to work.... [tags: Papers Media Ads Sex Appeal Essays]
1443 words (4.1 pages)