Ninety-seven percent of adolescents play video games. Among them are murderers responsible for recent school shootings. Many people have claimed that the violent content of these games will cause the players to experience heightened levels of aggression, leading them to commit violent crimes; conversely, numerous studies have been performed which contradict this claim. Research indicates that playing violent video games does not increase aggressive behavior, or lead to violent criminal acts.
In the first place, data exists proving that violent video games do not lead to crimes. Researchers have observed the correlation between video game sales and violent crimes. Evidence suggests that crime rates have fallen while video game sales have increased. “‘We found that higher rates of violent video game sales related to a decrease in crimes, and especially violent crimes,’ said Dr. Ward...of the Center for European Economic Research in Mannheim, Germany” (Carey). This excerpt reveals that the sales of violent video games directly correlate with fewer violent acts. This observation highlights that violent video games do not cause people to commit violent crimes, since the crime rate has fallen as video game sales have risen. The observation that the crime rate did not increase with the sales of violent video games proves that point. Other researchers have verified this observation in their own studies. In one report, a psychology professor discovered that violent video games did not increase the risk of young players committing violent social acts, such as bullying (Nauert). Some people continue to claim that violent video games do, in fact, inspire criminals to commit unfathomable...
... middle of paper ...
...e a Force for
Good?."Review of General Psychology. 14.2 (2010): 68-81. Web. 3 Mar. 2014.
Nauert, Rick. "In New Study, Video Games Not Tied to Violence in High-Risk Youth." PsychCentral.
Psych Central, 27 Aug 2013. Web. 27 Feb 2014.
Skoric, Marko, and Dmitri Williams. "Internet Fantasy Violence: A Test of Aggression in an Online
Game."Communication Monographs. 72.2 (2005): 217-233. Web. 2 Mar. 2014.
Vitelli, Romeo. "Can Video Games Cause Violence?."Psychology Today. Sussex Publishers, 1 4
2013. Web. 26 Feb 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Ever since the video game was invented many years ago, violent, bloody games have existed also. Some include killing zombies, shooting people, and fighting that ends in either someone dying or being hurt. The outcome remains the same, and a select few continue to live out these games throughout their daily life. These games can sometimes cause people to become angry. Although, some video games may have a negative effect on some people’s lives, other reasons such as their home life can be a factor in these people’s behavior.... [tags: child's behavior, violent games,video games]
1363 words (3.9 pages)
- Does playing video games cause aggressive behavior. Because children and teenagers spend an increased amount of time each day playing video games, they are shaping their values, attitudes, and behaviors. For people who do act out aggressively, the results can be deadly. Monthly, the news is filled with blood-chilling accounts of crimes committed due to a copy-cat obsession with violent video games. This paper will present a brief review of literature and reveal the difficulties in answering this question with certainty.... [tags: Media, Violent Video Games]
1347 words (3.8 pages)
- “Do violent video games cause people to perform violent acts?” The age old question that has been asked by concerned parents and scientists everywhere for as long as anyone can remember, and this question in turn has created a controversial debate over whether or not violent video games actually causes grotesque acts of violence or if it actually helps to discourage violent behavior. John Von Radwitz writes an article about why violence in video games is causing trouble in today 's society more than ever and warns people to take action sooner rather than later.... [tags: Violence, Crime, Video game controversy]
1377 words (3.9 pages)
- Will playing too many violent video games cause adolescents to commit crime or murder to another. In January 2006, there are two teenagers, both 18, who had raced a luxury car at high speeds on Toronto street. At the end of the race, a 46 year olds taxi driver was killed when one of the luxury cars struck his taxi. Police investigated the accident found out two adolescents who copy of the video game Need for Speed (Bonnell, Canadian Press NewsWire). In addition, there are a number of deadly school shootings in recent years and some of the crimes are caused by people who spend many times to play the violent video games.... [tags: Massively multiplayer online game, Video game]
1415 words (4 pages)
- Have you ever wondered if violent video games can cause aggression in children. Thousands of children all over the world engage in violent video games for a large amount of time during their day. According to ProCon.org 60% of middle school boys and 40% of middle school girls who played at least one Mature-rated (M-rated) game hit or beat up someone, compared with 39% of boys and 14% of girls who did not play M-rated games. I will be using naturalistic and case study research methods to determine if violent video games cause aggression in children.... [tags: Video game, Game, Case study, Seventh grade]
1389 words (4 pages)
- ... Of these articles I agree with Craig Anderson and Brad Bushman’s position and firmly believe that violent videogames cause violence in adolescents due to two reasons: Violent video games produce an emotional desensitization to aggression and violence, and misleads adolescents when violent acts are rewarded and repeated in the games. Violent video games produce an emotional desensitization to aggression and violence. In Brad Bushman and Craig Anderson’s study on teen aggression he states, “Normally, people have a pretty negative emotional reaction to conflict, aggression, and violence, and this can be seen in their physiological reactions to observation of violence, however repeated cons... [tags: Violence, Video game controversy, Video game]
1091 words (3.1 pages)
- When video games are mentioned, most people think of teenagers. In a like manner, people tend to look at violent video games as teenagers’ main source of violence. They seem to believe in the likelihood of a kid bringing Call of Duty gameplay into real life. Since video games and the people who play them vary in many different factors, it is extremely difficult to arrive at a simple yes or no answer as to whether violent video games make people violent. However, when considering that the question is if video games lead to violent people, I believe the answer is no.... [tags: Video game, Violence, Video game controversy]
1599 words (4.6 pages)
- (Add a quote to this paragraph)Several people believe that there is a connection between violent video games and increased levels of aggressive behavior, while others believe that video games don’t cause violence at all, but I believe that video games don’t have a direct correlation to violence because there has been no study that has yet to determine whether or not violent video games cause real world violence. However, several crimes have tried to show that video games were the main cause of these violent acts such as the Columbine High School massacre, the shooting of Marie Smothers and the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting, because whether it’s bullying, increased violent behavior, o... [tags: Columbine High School massacre]
906 words (2.6 pages)
- Several people believe that there is a connection between violent video games and increased levels of aggressive behavior, while others believe that video games don’t cause violence at all, but I believe that video games don’t have a direct correlation to violence because “no study has examined whether or not violent video games cause real world violence.” (Patrick Markey) However, several crimes have tried to show that video games were the main cause of these violent acts such as the Columbine High School massacre, the shooting of Marie Smothers and the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting.... [tags: Columbine High School massacre]
2397 words (6.8 pages)
- Do violent video games increase aggression in the people who play them. If so then video games could be responsible for much of the bad news we hear on television. Are video games responsible for school shootings. Do producers of video games need to tone down the violence. What will happen if video games become more and more violent and realistic. On the other hand, are video games to blame at all for the increase of violence in kids. When violence in video games started to increase, people started noticing an increase in the aggression of their children as well.... [tags: Violent Video Games 2014]
3044 words (8.7 pages)
- Wishful Thinking in Courtrooms: The Memory Extractor
- Renewable Energy: Photovoltaic Technology
- Analysis of Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara's Famous Quotation
- Death and Dying in Taiwan
- Physical, Psychological, and Organizational Consequences of Bullying Among Nurses in the United States and Australia
- School's Effect on Creativity and Curiosity