In some states, it has been illegal for adolescents under the age of eighteen to purchase violent video games. In Illinois, Governor Rod Blagojevich is trying to outlaw the sale of excessively violent video games to people under the age of 18, and he also states that the state of Illinois has a compelling interest in helping parents raise their children appropriately (Whitehead 1). Studies show that the number of children playing violent video games has risen greatly, and this has mainly been caused by an easier access to these games. Careless parents have caused this easier access by allowing their children to play these violent video games. Young adults are very impressionable, and when people are provided with violent video games such as Grand Theft Auto or other games that involve stealing cars and killing people, they can sometimes feel the need to perform the same activities in their lives. Parents should be more careful when providing their children with these games and pay closer attention to the ratings on the games. After all, these ratings are placed on the games by the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB), which is an organization that places different ratings on games in order to serve as a...
... middle of paper ...
Lieberman, E. James. "Grand Theft Childhood: The Surprising Truth About Violent Video Games And What Parents Can Do." Library Journal 133.6 (2008): 100. Literary Reference Center. Web. 26 Feb. 2014.
Lutze, SolomonOliver, BryantMark, DaveKearney, MichaelForgione, ChristianRobe, DustinSchiffman, AustinJarmon, VannAmos, Ryan. "Violent Video Games And Kids." U.S. News Digital Weekly 2.22 (2010): 16. MAS Ultra - School Edition. Web. 26 Feb. 2014.
Robbins, M. Brandon. "Games And Violence." Library Journal 138.5 (2013): 88. Literary Reference Center. Web. 26 Feb. 2014.
Peckham, Matt. "Researcher Says Linking Video Games To Gun Violence Is A 'Classic Illusory Correlation'." Time.Com (2013): 1. MAS Ultra - School Edition. Web. 26 Feb. 2014.
Whitehead, Barbara Dafoe. "Parents Need Help." Commonweal 132.2 (2005): 9-10. Literary Reference Center. Web. 26 Feb. 2014
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Many People have put their attention directly on the influence violent video games have on the bad behavior of children. People believe videogames intensify aggression in children, while others say it can be a safe getaway for a child to express his aggression. Many opinions on this issue are stated still today, and they remain divided amongst the people who claim videogames to be a cause of aggression and those who claim otherwise. A child’s behavior can not be determined by violent video games, but instead is caused by a variety of environmental and domestic factors.... [tags: education, behavior, psychology]
984 words (2.8 pages)
- Violent video games popularity heightens in today’s technological society, especially with children and teenagers. Many children and teenagers play these violent video games, and most parents worry about the side effects that will stem later in life from too much violence in these violent video games. Some children have trouble associating the difference between reality and fiction. Also, violent video games hinder the social growth of children. Many people and researchers worry that the violent video games have negative effects on teenagers and children, and these people and researchers believe that these violent video games are the cause of youth violence.... [tags: psychology, technology, violence]
1357 words (3.9 pages)
- At this day in age we bask in the luxury of having easy access to advanced technology at our disposal. From the World Wide Web, to cell phones, music, movies and video games the human race has thought of any and everything to keep us entertained. Over the years studies have shown reasonable concerns regarding the long-term effects of video games. These games can desensitize gamers to real life violence, which is usually seen in the younger crowd. The studies especially hit on the games containing player-on-player violence.... [tags: Anti Violent Video Games]
1537 words (4.4 pages)
- Violent Video Games: They are Bad for You Studies from around the world have proved and disproved the fact that the violent content in some games causes violent acts in people. The research and studies also show that this is not an issue of gender with almost as many girls playing video games as boys making them a large portion of people playing today. Boys though in this instance seemed to be more prone to violence than the females participating in the studies. Another problem I found in the gaming society is the fact that some parents were not abiding to the rating system put out by the ESRB.... [tags: shootings, crime]
1799 words (5.1 pages)
- Do violent video games increase aggression in the people who play them. If so then video games could be responsible for much of the bad news we hear on television. Are video games responsible for school shootings. Do producers of video games need to tone down the violence. What will happen if video games become more and more violent and realistic. On the other hand, are video games to blame at all for the increase of violence in kids. When violence in video games started to increase, people started noticing an increase in the aggression of their children as well.... [tags: Violent Video Games 2014]
3044 words (8.7 pages)
- It’s no question games are a big factor in teenagers lives and there’s no question that violence in these games amuse its audience. Which comes to the question do violent video games contribute to youth violence. Violent Video games can cause youth to pick up bad habits, quick tempers, and fighting as a way to solve problems. Violent video games do play a part in youth violence. When people play war games like Call of Duty the sole object of the game is to shoot and kill your opponent. Games like Grand Theft Auto have bad dialogue and horrible crimes that must be committed in order to pass to advance in the game.... [tags: Video game, Video game controversy]
1239 words (3.5 pages)
- Violent Games Do Not Cause Behavioral Problems in Teens. Violence has been around for quite a long time. Fights and wars are the interest of today’s society of entertainment. People are more likely to see a movie, where protagonists kill villains, over, a romantic movie, where a typical girl finds her “knight in shining armor.” This also applies to how teens feel when playing games. Teens have a sweet tooth for violent games, such as Call of Duty: Black Ops, Kill zone, Infamous, and other violent rated games.... [tags: psychology, social phobia]
1163 words (3.3 pages)
- One of today’s most debated topics is whether violent video games cause bad behavior. This topic has been researched for almost 30 years and there are still major opinion differences. Many psychologists say violent video games do cause bad behavior, and claim that games such as Manhunt, Grand Theft Auto, and Modern Warfare, desensitize people to violence, making it a norm in society. Others disagree, claiming that these games, although they can be very violent, can help people develop critical thinking skills.... [tags: Video Gaming]
1408 words (4 pages)
- Since the creation of video games blame has befallen them for violence. Some video games portray extreme violence, but video games come in a wide variety of genres. Genres of video games can range from innocent children games to violent adults only games. One of the most popular genre ,violent action games, allows people to do things that they can not in society. The playing of violent video games often represents a factor in motivating shockingly violent youth crimes such as high school shootings in the US.... [tags: Video game, Violence, Video game controversy]
1025 words (2.9 pages)
- It seems like everything coming out about video games is bad. A student tried to kill his fellow classmates, and he was an avid Call of Duty player. A study has been released that proves that playing video games will turn you into a criminal. The many benefits of games and gaming, such as their possible applications to education and their ability to tell more complex stories than other forms of media, are almost universally ignored. I know better, though. Between the lifetime I’ve spent playing and loving video games, and the articles I’ve found, I can tell you that video games do not cause violent behavior or thoughts.... [tags: Video Games]
1107 words (3.2 pages)
- Contributions of Cell Signalling Pathways In The Context of Early Eye Development
- Should Baseball Players who Used Steroids be Allowed in The Hall of Fame?
- Wind Power and Wildlife Issues in Kansas
- Photosynthesis and the Vital Role of Chlorophyll
- Faith Integration on Family and Intimate Relationships
- Abraham Lincoln's Greatest Accomplishments