There are a lot of facts and information about pit bulls that the public does not know. The media blows things way out of proportion with this breed of dog and doing simple research can shed some light. “There are three main types of ‘pit bulls,’ they are the Staffordshire Bull Terriers, American Pit Bull Terriers, and American Staffordshire Terriers” (Pit Bull Rescue Center). The Staffordshire bull terrier is originally from England. When it was brought over to the states it was bred with other terriers and the American Staffordshire came to be. Often times people classify dogs that look a certain way as pit bulls, when in fact they are an entirely different breed or a mix of some sort.
... middle of paper ...
...e should do the research before they judge a pit bull. Follow the guidelines, stay diligent and do not be afraid to own a pit bull.
Pit Bull Rescue Central. “Breed Information.” pbrc.net.2010
© 2010 Pit Bull Rescue Central, INC. 15 December 2010
Villalobos Rescue Center. “The Real Pit Bull.” vrcpitbull.com. 1993
© VRC 1993-2007. 15 December 2010
Daily Progress Staff. “Pit bulls: vicious or victims?” The Daily Progress 07 July 2008. 15 December 2010
Dengler, Amy. “Re: [pbrc] Response TO Tony Hernandez in Ohio. E-mail to Tony Hernandez. 27 January 2011
Correia, Becky. “Re: Fw: Fwd: Informational Interview for School Project. Email to Tony Hernandez. 4 February 2011
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Niko is a boxer mix from Kansas City, Kansas. Kansas City had a ban against owning a dog of the “pit bull” breed. Niko was taken from his home in 2007 by animal control, and wrongfully accused for the way he looked. He was held in a kennel at the pound during the entire eight month period it took for his owners to get him back. After multiple court hearings, Niko was finally released and sent home with his family (Campbell). Niko’s story is a great reference to the many controversial thoughts people have against the laws regarding breed bans for pit bulls.... [tags: Breed-Specific Laws]
1058 words (3 pages)
- The America Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) was breed to be a sport dog, they are athletic energetic and a good companion. That being said over the years their reputation has dropped dramatically form once being Americas most popular dog to Americas most hated and feared dog. Pit bulls are nothing like the poor reputation that they have, they are very smart, loving, and friendly dogs. In America, dogs have become part of families and it is not taboo to see them treated, loved and taken care of as if they were a blood relative.... [tags: dogs, doberman, ruthless dogs]
1621 words (4.6 pages)
- My Pit Bull I. Pit bulls are outlawed in Miami-Dade County because of their vicious nature. A. In 1990, the American Pit Bull Terrier was outlawed in Miami Dade County. B. There are many reasons why we fear this particular breed and one reason is because we fear what we do not understand. C. The pit bull dogs are outlawed in Miami Dade County because of the inbred susceptibility to attack other animals, and because of the danger posed to humans. II. One stereo type of pit bulls is that they are mean and vicious.... [tags: cause and effect]
1378 words (3.9 pages)
- “Animals have no voice. They can’t ask for help. They can’t ask for freedom. They can’t ask for protection. Humanity must be their voice.” This quote by A.D. Williams says everything about the cruelty of animal abuse. Have you ever given a thought to animal abuse. Its not just dogs or cats in a shelter it spans a greater community. Before stopping abuse, we need to consider why it happens. Hoarding isn’t just a show on T.V about stuff in your house. There are animal hoarders. Do you have a pet at home.... [tags: shelter, cruelty, pets]
855 words (2.4 pages)
- If you’re a pit bull owner in Sioux City, Iowa, you are faced with certain ordinances that make it more difficult to own and keep your dog. This is Sioux City’s attempt to keep its citizens’ safe and prevent the abuse and harm of the pitbull. The city is trying to promote safety and animal advocacy. This ordinance is not effective because it punishes the animal and not the owner; it also does not take into account the animals individual personality. Legislators should create laws that consider all dogs based on their individual behavior and hold owner accountable for their animals.... [tags: bsl, breed specific legislation, pit bulls, laws, ]
1684 words (4.8 pages)
- Never Mind the Dog Beware of the Owner The American Pit Bull Terrier is a good breed of dogs that has earned its popularity throughout the world. The Pit bull is well known to be a loyal, brave and a very good companion to its owner. However, caution should be taken to avoid these terriers from getting into the hands of unethical owners. According to the United Kennel Club (UKC), the standard for the American Pit Bull Terrier is a dog that is square and powerful with a blocky head, prominent cheeks and jaw, taut, and muscular body.... [tags: Animals Dogs Pit Bull Terrier essays papers]
578 words (1.7 pages)
- Owning a pit bull in today’s day and age has one of two reactions: Either the person loves them or is terrified of them. There are so many myths about Pit Bulls and they are just that. Myths. Some of the myths that surround pit bulls are that they have “lock jaw” and they have a killer instinct that does not stop at just killing other animals. Pit bull advocates, such as myself, know that Pit Bulls have always been known as the “nanny dog” throughout history because of how much they love children and their loyalty to their families.... [tags: Animal Research ]
943 words (2.7 pages)
- One of the most popular dogs owned by dog owners is the pit bulldog. They are said to have a friendly temperament and is remarked for being attached to their owners. Pit bull dogs are good pets, but they can cause severe problems if they are not trained correctly. Even with their friendly attitude towards human, they are aggressive and defensive towards their territory. This tends to threaten the society when considering how to control the pit bulls of mauling incidents. Pit bulldogs and other attack dogs should be banned to keep people safe from dog mauls in populated areas.... [tags: Dogs Pit Bulls]
1589 words (4.5 pages)
- What has four legs and an arm. A happy pit bull. What happens when you cross a pit bull with a collie. A dog who bites your leg off, then goes for help. Contrary to tasteless jokes and public opinion, it is not the breed of dog that makes a dog dangerous, rather it is the owner of a dog that makes dogs dangerous. But, let’s face it, there are certain dog breeds that demand their owners be aware of negative opinion; and it is the owners’ primary responsibility to implement careful training and socialization of their pups in order to bring an understanding and acceptance of the breed by the general public.... [tags: dog owners, pets, ]
1330 words (3.8 pages)
- Audience: • Uninformed people who believe in the stereotypes of “aggressive” dogs. • Parents of younger children because they are protective. Purpose: • Convince people that the stereotype of Pit Bulls being inherently aggressive is completely misrepresentative of the breed. • Convince parents that Pits are loving and a good family dog and not the vicious animal that people are led to believe because of media influence. • I want to open the eyes of others to the fact that any dog can be aggressive.... [tags: stereotype, aggressive, dog attacks, dogs]
929 words (2.7 pages)