Justin Kao is the co-founder of Helix, which received $100 million to create the first app store for genetic information. Helix’s idea is to collect a spit sample from anyone who purchase a DNA app; from that sample they sequence and analyze the customers’ genes, and then digitizes the findings that are accessed by software developers. Helix calls the idea “sequence once, query often” (Regalado, 2016). Helix plans on decoding all 20,000 genes that are essential to a person’s genome. The app will provide animations and screenings and there will be a pay as you go option to make the test affordable for everyone.
The Punnett Square inheritance calculator reviews recessive inheritance and screens different carrier frequencies. The CEO of the world’s leading DNA sequencing company says "he knows how to finally get consumers interested in their genomes: by creating an enormous app store for genetic information" (Regalado, Genetic Literacy Project, 2015).The DNA app store allows people to figure out their genetic make-up and it helps an individual to learn about possible health risk and predispositions. Knowing...
... middle of paper ...
...d illness. Maybe one-day scientist can go in and correct that gene. It also offers an affordable way to test for certain genes.
Predisposition testing will help with cancer. Genealogy testing will reveal who you are related to and your ethnic origin. Genealogy test also will let you know how much Neanderthal DNA you have. The carrier screening will let you know if you are a carrier of certain diseases, such as diabetes or lupus. The co-founder lets us know that this app will be very affordable and secure. People will now be able to find possible genetic traits and information about their genetic make-up at their fingertips. Your genome determines a great deal about you, including your likelihood of getting certain diseases. (Regalado A. , n.d.) The DNA App Store is a very useful emerging technology to have implement, and it will make changes in today’s society.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The iPhone’s App Store has revolutionized the cell phone industry. The app store was launched in the summer of 2008. Since then it has more than 140,000 apps and those apps have been downloaded over 3,000,000,000 times. The app store’s influence is huge and it only continues to get bigger and bigger. The app store provides an outlet for developers to market additional games and utilities to consumers. Applications, or apps for short, add different features to a phone that allow it to be utilized in a multitude of different ways.... [tags: Technology]
1743 words (5 pages)
- This semester in for engineering by design we were assigned to design a product that we would work on for the whole semester and hopefully have complete by the end. Throughout this semester we also learned what the process of design entails. From learning how to choose a product for the market to figuring how the product would affect the environment. We learned a great deal this semester. Our group decided to design an application for the semester. This came with a lot of challenges but also a great deal of learning.... [tags: App Concept]
1128 words (3.2 pages)
- . DNA can be left or collected from the hair, saliva, blood, mucus, semen, urine, fecal matter, and even the bones. DNA analysis has been the most recent technique employed by the forensic science community to identify a suspect or victim since the use of fingerprinting. Moreover, since the introduction of this new technique it has been a large number of individuals released or convicted of crimes based on DNA left at the crime sceneDNA is the abbreviation for deoxyribonucleic acid. DNA is the genetic material found in cells of all living organisms.... [tags: DNA, DNA profiling, Alec Jeffreys]
1216 words (3.5 pages)
- Chapter One: Introduction 1.1 Rationale for the topic After the first smartphone application store was established by Apple in July 2008, Apple App Store has developed from only 500 to more than 425,000 applications and contributed 15 billion downloads (Dredge, 2011a). Moreover, the enormous sale of iPhone and application helped each other boost snowball effect. The innovation of Apple not only brings substantial profit to the company, but also establishes a new sale model of smartphone software.... [tags: Smartphone Software, iPhone]
1780 words (5.1 pages)
- The Retail industry includes establishments selling merchandise and offering services related to the sale of goods. Retailers sell goods to the end consumer. The retail sector consists of two main types: store and nonstore retailer. 1. Store retailers operate from fixed locations that sell merchandise to the general public. The purpose is to attract high number of walking in customers by using marketing. The merchandise sold by store retailers includes personal, electronic and household goods. Some types of stores also offer after-sale services.... [tags: Retailing, Department store, Wal-Mart]
1892 words (5.4 pages)
- Almost every cell in our body contains deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA). DNA can be defined as “a molecule that encodes the genetic instructions used in the development and functioning of all known living organisms…” (University of Utah, 2014). In other words, DNA is a genetic material that contains the information of how cells work. DNA can be used to identify people because everyone has different DNA sequences and varying lengths of DNA. Every human cell contains 3 billion DNA base pairs. We share about 99.9% of our DNA, but the remaining 0.1% is unique.... [tags: DNA, DNA profiling, Molecular biology]
1272 words (3.6 pages)
- Everyone knows Android and Apple have been rivals for years now. Each company has been developing new software and technology each year to prove who’s worthy of the #1 title. They have been competing with each other messenger, price difference, app store, product line, restrictions, and even marketing strategies. In 2012, Samsung, an Android represent, was forced to pay Apple $548.2 million for copyright infringement. This gives society a general idea of the rivalry between the two companies. I personally, along with many other consumers prefer Apple products due to its reliance and simplicity in design of software, iOS.... [tags: Apple Inc., App Store, Google, Marketing]
1367 words (3.9 pages)
- The International Telecommunications Union estimates there are 6.8 billion mobile subscriptions worldwide (mobiThinking). The growth of mobile computing in both the workforce and for personal use has also caused a growth in the malware and mobile botnets available to mobile devices (Symantec). To be able to properly protect the mobile device and environment, security teams should be looking at building in and not just bolting on security mechanisms. It is a fairly common saying now among security professionals that it is not if you will be hacked or breached it is a matter of when.... [tags: telecommunications union, itunes]
1125 words (3.2 pages)
- Biology today is used in various forms and ways, biology is all around us and in us. One of the areas in which biology is very helpful, is DNA forensics. DNA in forensic science is used to gather information and evidence for use in the court of law. DNA blood profile evidence can be collected through numerous ways like saliva, semen, blood, urine, feces, hair, teeth, bone, cells and tissue. DNA evidence can be collected from many items, examples are such as a mask, gloves, shoes, clothes, bedding, fingernails, cups, bottles, cigarettes, weapons and much more.... [tags: Organism, DNA, Bacteria, Gene]
972 words (2.8 pages)
- Unraveling the molecular mechanism of DNA binding by Transcription-activator like effectors Sequence-specific DNA targeting of nucleases, recombinases and transcriptional activators is a powerful tool to manipulate the sequence or regulate the expression of the gene of interest. While Zinc fingers specific to DNA trinucleotides, coupled to different effector domains have been employed for targeted manipulation of the genome with considerable success, we are limited by the off-target toxicity caused by trinucleotide specific zinc fingers.... [tags: DNA, TALE, Xanthomonas]
1082 words (3.1 pages)
- Walt Disney : A World Of Creativity
- The Effects Of Alcohol Addiction On The Family
- Feminism, The Belief That Men And Women Should Have Equal Rights
- Electric Cars : A Good For Our Environment
- Msg Bethel 's Development Of Standard Operating Procedures And Policies
- The Sinful Minister By Nathaniel Hawthorne