The closest definition to individual behavior is personality which is "the totality of an individual's behavioral and emotional characteristics. Personality embraces a person's moods, attitudes, opinions, motivations, and style of thinking, perceiving, speaking and acting. It is part of what makes each individual distinct" (Answers, 2007). Diversity within organizations can positively or negatively impact individual behavior. Diversity includes all the ways in which individuals differ including race, gender, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation and child/elder care responsibilities (Census bureau, 2007). Organizations can create opportunities to draw upon people with different backgrounds, providing new perspectives for organizational and personal success (Census bureau, 2007). There are many diversity issues within the workplace however, ethnicity, gender, geographical differences, and religion highly impact individual behaviors within an organization.
Ethnic groups are often associated with race and incorporate the view of skin color differences with language, culture, or nationality (Lewis, 2003, para. 9). Racial groups are usually formed from two or more ethnic groups such as Hispanic-Americans, Irish-Americans, Japanese-Americans, African-Americans, etc (Lewis, 2003, para. 9). People of color are projected to be the majority of the U.S. population by the year 2060 and 30% of the population will be Hispanic (Schermerhorn, 2005, p. 30). With the numbers of different ethnic groups on the rise, organizations that employ individuals from many different ethnic groups may benefit from the differences in views and backgrounds that these individuals bring...
... middle of paper ...
...y 3, 2007
Personality. (2007). Answers. Retrieved February 3, 2007, from
Religion in the workplace. (2005, March). Business for social responsibility. Retrieved
February 3, 2007, from http://www.bsr.org/CDRResources/IssueBriefDetail.cfm?
Schermerhorn, J.R., Hunt, J.G., & Osborn, R. N. (2005). Organizational behavior (9th ed)
John Wiley & Sons, Inc. Retrieved February 3, 2007 from University of Phoenix
U.S. population living in urban vs. rural areas. (2004, February 9). Census 2000 population
Statistics. Retrieved February 4, 2007, from U.S. Department of Transportation Web
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Diversity: Individual Behavior Impact Individual behavior is the pattern of behavior, thought, and emotion, unique to an individual, and the ways he or she interact to help or hinder the adjustment of a person to other people and situations (The Columbia Encyclopedia, 2001). Within organizations, diversity can positively or negatively impact the behavior of individuals. Organizations are responsible and held accountable for making the overall work environment conducive for all within the diversified setting.... [tags: Work Diverse Behavior Essays]
1487 words (4.2 pages)
- Diversity Impact on Individual Behavior Behavior refers to the actions or reactions of an object or organism, usually in relation to the environment. Behavior can be conscious or unconscious, overt or covert, and voluntary or involuntary. Behavior is controlled by the nervous system; the complexity of the behavior is related to the complexity of the nervous system. Generally, organisms with complex nervous systems have a greater capacity to learn new responses and thus adjust their behavior. Human behavior is the collection of activities by human beings and influenced by culture, attitudes, emotions, ethnicity, gender, ethics, religion, authority, persuasion, and/or coercion.... [tags: Sociology Sociological Ethnicity Essays]
847 words (2.4 pages)
- This paper is going to look at four types of diversity and demographic characteristics that impact individual behavior in the work place and in everyday life settings. The four groups to be examined are Gender, Age, Geographical Differences, and Personality Traits. Gender When examining the differences between men and women in the work place women have made great strides in contributing their efforts in a positive manner when given the opportunity. In the past it has always been the men that controlled the working environment but as times change and more households started depending on dual incomes the need for women to participate in the work force has increased.... [tags: Workplace Diversity Behavior, demographics]
1326 words (3.8 pages)
- The Different Impacts Diversity Has on an Individual Diversity refers to the presence of individual human characteristics that make people different from one another (Schermerhorn, Hunt, and Osborn, 2005). Among these individual human characteristics are demographic differences, such as age, gender, sexual-orientation, ablebodiedness, race and ethnicity, and religion. Diversity and demographic differences can impact individual behavior by creating discrimination, stereotypes and prejudices in the work place.... [tags: Diversity Discrimination Stereotypes Essays]
1181 words (3.4 pages)
- Diversity is a term used most often to describe the different types of race, religion, and nationalities but in today’s business world, it is used to describe the different individual behaviors of employees. Diversity is about characteristics and demographics that differ from person to person and how they affect human behavior. To understand how diversity affects the work place let us look at four types of diversity--Differences in skill and abilities, Values and attitudes, Occupation differences, and Age.... [tags: Racial Diversity, Ethnic Diversity]
1217 words (3.5 pages)
- Diversity and Demographic Characteristics Introduction Diversity relates to gender, age, language, ethnicity, cultural background, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief, including that people are different in other respects such as educational level, job function, socio-economic background, personality profile, marital status and whether or not one has family. Diversity and demographic differences can impact individual behavior by creating conflict in the workplace. The success of an organization depends on the workforce of the organization.... [tags: Diversity Demographics Profiling]
1188 words (3.4 pages)
- How does diversity affect a team. Since each class in the online format requires working within a learning team, team diversity is an issue student's deal with all the time. In this course, learning team C is made up of three members. We have each lived our lives in different ways, but have all reached a plateau in our careers that has lead us to UOP to obtain our bachelor's degrees in accounting. In what follows, we will discuss the impact of diversity as it relates to our team in the areas of geographic differences, personality traits, age, and occupation.... [tags: Multiculturalism, Racial Diversity]
935 words (2.7 pages)
- Diversity Behavior is best defined as the unique behaviors, emotions and thought processes of an individual including the way that he or she interacts with others. While much of behavior may be thought to be innate, there are also external factors that can impact an individual's behavior. These factors have diversity and demographic characteristics; four of these factors will be discussed in this paper and the impact each has on individuals will be shown. Religion, personality traits, age and gender are thought to have the greatest impacts and therefore providing the best opportunity for discussion.... [tags: Diversity Culture People]
1125 words (3.2 pages)
- The Influence of Diversity Factors on Individual Behavior There are numerous influences that affect individual and group behavior in the workplace. A great many of these are external to the workplace, and include the influences of pervasive social forces that shape an individual's behavior from early childhood, such as religion, ethnicity, and socioeconomic status; physiological influences that impose both opportunities and constraints, such as age and gender; and the influences from life choices that individuals make, such as occupation and geographic location.... [tags: Behavioral Psychology]
1420 words (4.1 pages)
- Diversity Diversity can be defined as a situation that includes representation of multiple and ideally all groups within a prescribed environment, such as a workplace (University of Maryland, 2000). The success of an organization depends on the workforce of the organization. A workforce made up of diverse individuals from different backgrounds can bring the best talent to an organization. There are many types of diversity and demographic characteristics and each one has an impact on individual behavior.... [tags: Ethnicity Race Anthropology Diverse Essays]
844 words (2.4 pages)