Imagine being discriminated against because of a preference or something that is unable to be changed. What would that feel like? Discrimination is happening all around the world, with all different kinds of people. People can be discriminated against by all types of things, such as age, sex, race, religion, sexuality, height, etc. I believe that discrimination is becoming a bigger cause in other countries as the United States (US) and that it should be addressed more than it is being. There are many types of discrimination going on throughout various places but, the three main ones happening are sexuality discrimination, race discrimination, and religious discrimination. The biggest one accruing right now is sexuality discrimination.
Sexuality discrimination is becoming a bigger and bigger issue in a few states in the US because some feel that their not getting the freedom to choose their sexual preference as others are. A few years ago gays, lesbians, bis, and transsexuals had no protection against them what so ever (Helfer). There are almost thirteen states in the United States that have passed laws that are dealing with the credit discrimination (LGBT). Some believe that they are being discriminated against because of same sex marriage and their rights to be able to adopt children (Melehi). Why are families and children being affected because of a persons sexual belief?
Mass violations against gays and lesbians are increasing as time passes. This is affecting some people’s employment in jobs. In other states they are discriminating against people that are in line with ones of the same sex, and are not wanting any of them working for their company. Rachel Murray says “with the exception of South Africa, where ...
... middle of paper ...
...ployment (Sex Discrimination). Mostly in the United States women fight and have to deal with sex discrimination (Shih).
Discrimination needs to be noticed more around the world than it is being. Discriminating against someone can be judging them by many things. Discrimination is mistreating and/or giving different treatment to various people because of sex, religion, color, ethnicity, race, sexuality, etc. Suicide is becoming a bigger deal because more discrimination is happening, and some feel the need to take their lives for it, therefore this needs to be looked more into and a bigger issue worldwide instead of just in some states. The three main types of discrimination accruing are racial discrimination, sexuality discrimination, and last but not least religious discrimination. They are happening in all different places of the world not just in the United States.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In our current society, racism is becoming a bigger problem than anyone could have ever predicted knowing what America went through during the civil rights movement. Racism and prejudice nowadays is much different than it was back in the 1950 's. Then, people of color had to sit in the back of the bus, or drink out of a different water fountain. Caucasian people could openly be rude to people of color and nobody would bat an eye and speak up to say that is wrong. After going through the civil rights movement, the minorities were given rights.... [tags: Race, United States, United Kingdom, Black people]
1090 words (3.1 pages)
- ... Although, the man was not negatively discriminated against, he was still being judged on the account of his actions. This story grabbed my attention because I come from a family with two brothers. My brothers are now married and have children of their own. When my parents and I visit my brothers for dinner, they often do most of the cooking, cleaning, and taking care of the children. Everytime we leave their house, my mother will say, “Their wives will never know how lucky they are!” Then she will proceed to talk about how things were much different when she was raising us.... [tags: Gender, Female, Male, Discrimination]
905 words (2.6 pages)
- Gender discrimination is prevalent and becoming the social norm in our current society. Right now America is in the middle of a presidential race, and there are several women currently in the running. The most visible of these candidates is Hillary Clinton. It is truly inspiring that just a mere ninety-five years ago the 19th amendment was passed, women had just received the right to vote and now they are able to run for president. Objectification, sexist comments, and unfair evaluation are all things that Hillary Clinton has to endure because she is a woman.... [tags: Bill Clinton, Hillary Rodham Clinton]
1233 words (3.5 pages)
- Introduction Writh noted that despite women becoming increasingly active in economic activities they are still under-represented when it comes to senior management position. She supported this argument by pointing out that 40% of the labour force comprise of women. However, when it comes to top management position; only 20% are women (Writh 2001). This is as a result of a number of barriers which prevent women from function effectively. Family responsibilities, stereotypes that have led to gender discrimination, are perhaps the most notable factors.... [tags: Life Work Balance Women]
1790 words (5.1 pages)
- ... 2011). This really became a problem when I was announced in the top ten, and as I moved up towards the number one spot the criticism got worse. People believed I had cheated my way to valedictorian because how could I, a girl with a learning disability, be number one. They never listened to my side of the story, they truly believed that I didn 't belong because of how society labeled me. In past studies adolescents with ADHD had trouble with normal classes and were prone to drop out. As stated, “Indeed, these adolescents have been found to be up to three times more likely than their peers to drop-out of high school”(Kent et all.... [tags: Educational psychology, Education, Teacher]
1130 words (3.2 pages)
Prejudice and Discrimination Depicted in "Graduation", "Myth of a Latin Woman", and "Letter from Birmingham Jail"
- Not everyone will like you in fact many will hate you for no reason because they don’t know anything about you other than what you look like. This is the case in many stories like Graduation by Maya Angelou, Myth of a Latin Woman by Judith Cofer and Letter from Birmingham Jail by Martin Luther king Jr. To any reasonable person these stories would seem very depressing because of the way these people are treated and most of the time they get this treatment because they are too afraid to speak up. Although some people are wrongfully treated as inferior knowing it doesn’t help stop it, only action can take away the prejudice and discrimination suffered by these people.... [tags: Literature Analysis]
684 words (2 pages)
- ... The French Government sent this PSA because they are trying to give attention to this issue. France thrives on their culture for food as it has become a top 10 country in Industrialized Obesity as 16.9% of France citizens are obese (Procon.org). This terrifying stat has alarmed the French Government as it is trying to spread the word about its ever increasing obesity rate. They want to begin by trying to change how people would diet, eat, and hope to effectively decrease its obesity rate of not just its own citizens, but its people too.... [tags: Obesity, Nutrition, Dieting, Cancer]
884 words (2.5 pages)
- ... They may make only minor, sometimes unnoticeable changes. Some people do not even realize that they copy or closely paraphrase other people’s work. Copyright infringement can be found when someone takes copyright holder work without authorisation or compensation, if compensation is appropriate, and it can include for example a song, a video or a photograph, while plagiarism is about copying whole sentences of other’s work. The main difference between plagiarism and copyright is that the plagiarism is an ethic issue while copyright is illegal.... [tags: Copyright infringement, Copyright, Plagiarism]
905 words (2.6 pages)
- ... Websites such as Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr all have the feature where the user is able to have all the power they desire at their fingertips. With this power users feel more hidden so they feel free to say more racist comments because of the fact that they feel “hidden” with a separate identity versus how they are in real life. It may not be because the user it actually racist but could be trying to get others to laugh and make them more likable by posting racist memes or stereotypes. The problem with this is that since users seem to believe to think that since they aren't actually face to face with someone they are discriminating against then it’s not as bad, thus being okay.... [tags: racial profiling, discrimination]
1415 words (4 pages)
- The Great War from 1914-1918 in Europe had a traumatic toll on Canadians. The soldiers in the fields were forever changed by the war but they weren’t the only ones who were changed. World War 1 had a significant impact on Canada’s homefront. The impact of the Great War on Canadian civilians can be easily seen through the increased rate and level of discrimination, growth of Canadian economy and the independence of women. The discrimination suffered by the “ethnic Canadians” increased during the war was inflicted by both society and the government.... [tags: discrimination, government, economy]
781 words (2.2 pages)