So, what does discernment even mean? I know I didn’t have any idea when I was in your place during my Kairos in June. Discernment is the practice of listening to God calling us through our deepest desires. However, everyone is different, so God’s desire for each individual is unique. Our job is to listen to where God is trying to guide us, and inviting us to greater freedom and love. This call may come in the form of a lyric that especially stands out to us, advice that a loved one has given us, or simply a gut feeling. But we all know that not all of our desires will lead us to freedom and love, some desires may lead us down a path of desolation, as you learned yesterday while forming your life graphs. God is here to guide us back to those moments of consolation. For me, God’s call is to be my most authentic self. Sure, I struggled with this, and I experienced many times where I felt desolated. But by listening to my own intuition, I was able to move towards God’s invitation to be my most authentic self, strengthening my relationships with the people around me so that I did not have to hide a piece of who I am.
I grew up in a community where homosexuality wasn’t really talked about, so homophobia was never an issue for me. I didn’t even know it was a problem until about fifth grade, when I was made fun of becau...
... middle of paper ...
...ng out. They just want me to be happy, and if it means being with a girl rather than with a boy, they understand and accept that.
I look back on all this stuff I had to sort out during my high school career, and I feel proud. I am proud of who I have become and what I had to deal with. I experienced many moments of desolation when I struggled with my image of God, and how and when I would come out. However, because I listened to my own desire, I was able to express myself. One quote that resonates with me is this: "When you become real you don 't mind being hurt." Before, I used to take any hateful comments toward homosexuals personally, but now I know better than that. Now that I am my authentic self, now that I am real, the opinions of others don 't matter to me because I know who I am, and I stay true to that. So, I am proud to be able to say that I’m coming out.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Integrating Discernment in Life and Spiritual Direction Practice In the book, Eyes To See, Ears To Hear, Lonsdale describes Ignatius’ way of decision making in the Spirit as consolation and desolation. Where the world plays out romantic heroism, success and individualism, as opposed to servanthood, feeding the poor and coming together in community. Spiritual blindness encumbers those who are willing to serve God, and at best, Christian life seems as though it is about making good choices, possible like other great Christians.... [tags: God, Jesus, Holy Spirit, Spirituality]
1173 words (3.4 pages)
- ... There might be great chaos all around her, but the mother stays focused on the child and the child’s needs. Another example is, picture two young lovers sitting on a park bench, they’re both at Level 2 with their attention completely focused on the other person, and they can be oblivious to the world around them. They are two people completely at Level 2, listening intently to every word and “listening” for every nuance in the conversation. As a listener operating at level 2 you are focusing totally on the speaker, listening to their words, tone of voice and body language and are not distracted by your own thoughts and feelings.... [tags: internal, focused and active listening]
1795 words (5.1 pages)
- Discernment What Is discernment . by Biblical definition discernment means to discover, to recognize discernment is realizing when to speak and when not to speak. It is choosing what is right,and what is good. Discernment is the inspired ability to separate our imperfect will, to the perfect will of God.To many people discernment is a word of knowledge,a word of wisdom, it may include understanding dreams. It is a manifestation gift, we often refer to it as a surprise gift. James tells us to be wise, gentle and to ask God for wisdom.... [tags: God, Holy Spirit, Christianity, Religion, Cheating]
918 words (2.6 pages)
- Discernment What Is discernment . by Biblical definition discernment means to discover, to recognize discernment is realizing when to speak and when not to speak. It is choosing what is right,and what is good. Discernment is the inspired ability to separate our imperfect will, to the perfect will of God.To many people discernment is a word of knowledge,a word of wisdom, it may include understanding dreams. It is a manifestation gift, we often refer to it as a surprise gift. James tells us to be wise, gentle and to ask God for wisdom.... [tags: Knowledge, God, Holy Spirit, Religion, Cheating]
913 words (2.6 pages)
- Whenever someone hears the word “listening”, they likely think of hearing what other people are saying. However; listening is far more than just hearing what someone is saying. There is a difference between listening and hearing. Hearing is the physiological occurrence when soundwaves hit a human’s eardrum. On the other hand, listening is more complex because the process contains being mindful, receiving the message, selecting and organizing the message, interpreting the message, responding and remembering the message.... [tags: Hearing, Active listening, Hearing, Mind]
1081 words (3.1 pages)
- Overview: The purpose of this appraisal is to draw attention to my very own active listening skills. Throughout my life I have been told several times that I am a “good listener,” up until recently. After thinking long and hard about this comment, I became aware that it is an issue that I will need to manage if I plan on effectively communicating with my friend’s family and future coworkers. I purpose a plan to change my mindless listening back into mindful listening by withholding judgment, interrupting less, asking questions and paraphrasing.... [tags: Mobile phone, Communication, Active listening]
997 words (2.8 pages)
- Guess who’s coming to Dinner A Review of Literature and Film Clip Listening and responding to others has a major role to play in good communication and as such, satisfy their own purposes in life. People communicate with each other for getting information across, for learning and evaluating purposes, for listening and observation purposes or for mere enjoyment or recreation. However, it is a well known fact, that no two people listen, communicate or respond in the same way, and we know that it is true because research in the field has proved that it is so.... [tags: article review, listening, communication]
1115 words (3.2 pages)
- In applying the skills to a case scenario, I found it difficult to focus and use my active listening skills. I do know that in an ideal situation, I will more than likely be one on one with my client and will generally conduct the interview in a quieter atmosphere, allowing me to focus better on what the client discloses. However, with continuous practice I believe I will be able to overcome becoming distracted by background noises. What skills do you feel you performed well. Overall I feel I preformed most of the skills well considering I interview caregivers of sexual assault survivors daily.... [tags: Learning, Sociology, Social work, Active listening]
789 words (2.3 pages)
- A skill, according the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, is a learned power of doing something competently: a developed aptitude or ability. The skill of listening is a skill that I believe everyone should have but most people lack. Many people do not realize that listening is not merely the act of hearing a sound but of paying close attention to what someone is saying and trying to understand the message that they are trying to relate to you. Most times people say they are listening when in all actuality they are merely hearing you but not even attempting to understand what is being spoken of.... [tags: Communication Listening Interaction]
759 words (2.2 pages)
- Listening Skills The importance of listening effectively is obvious to our everyday activities. The fundamentals of listening appear to be quite simple; however, with a little thought on the matter, the depth of the listening is far from basic. The similarities between hearing and listening can be deceiving. Hearing is a physical process and listening is both physical and psychological. There are several purposes of listening. If you are a good listener, it will be a huge help in school, at work, in relationship, and in other situations.... [tags: Listening Skills Listen Essays]
940 words (2.7 pages)