Realistic shows that depict the horrifying life of surviving a disease prone society, such as: The Walking Dead (a popular television series on AMC), have citizens convinced that the pragmatic story telling of Hollywood’s finest is palpable. While, citizens have a healthy fear for the undead, there remains a high demand on the entertainment industry to provide more zombie folklore. Without delay authors, entertainers, and the like have developed a large zombie pop culture that surrounds books, movies, blogs, televisions series, fan fiction forums, and even realistic online groups geared toward preparing for such an event. With the growing alarm for the seemingly viable coming of the zombie apocalypse, it is no wonder Daigle came to his conclusion.
There is no question that when a natural, man-made or zombie disaster strikes, it is important to be prepared. However, the challenge for CDC was how to engage an audience in this seemingly lifeless –literally– and uninteresting information. The purpose of this case study is to (1) track CDC’s disaster preparedness zombie apocalypse campaign through relevant media outlets, (2) examine the key messag...
... middle of paper ...
Dillingham, I. (2014, April 5). Zombies invade local community center. Retrieved from https://www.michigandaily.com/news/zombies-invade-ann-arbor-train-public-health-students
Haiken, M. (2014, March 18). Is the CDC planning for a walking dead zombie apocalypse? Retrieved from http://www.forbes.com/sites/melaniehaiken/2014/03/18/is-the-cdc-really-preparing-for-a-zombie-apocalypse-not-exactly/
Holiday, R. (2012). Trust Me, I'm Lying: The Tactics and Confessions of a Media Manipulator. New York, NY: Portfolio.
Muncie Free Press. (2012, September 7). CDC and FEMA warn of impending zombie apocalypse. Retrieved from http://www.munciefreepress.com/node/26819
Shirky, C. (2008). Gin, television, and cognitive surplus. Edge, (255).
Zhang, C. (2014). CDC Creates 'Zombie Survival Guide'. Retrieved from http://www.newsy.com/videos/cdc-creates-zombie-survival-guide/
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Introduction Of the four phases of emergency management, mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery, perhaps the place that individuals can make the biggest difference in their own state of resiliency and survival of a disaster is in the preparedness phase. Being prepared before a disaster strikes makes sense yet many people fail to take even simple, precautionary steps to reduce the consequences of destruction and mayhem produced by natural events such as earthquakes, volcanos and tornados (see Paton et al, 2001, Mileti and Peek, 2002; Tierney, 1993, Tierney et al, 2001).... [tags: Disaster Preparedness]
1417 words (4 pages)
- Operatic Melodrama in Apocalypse Now The political and social unrest of the 1970s provided Hollywood with some of its most influential films, often stemming from unlikely sources; two decades after melodrama's heyday, the genre re-emerged in an original form that continues to affect modern filmmaking. The historical influences of Italian opera and Hollywood family melodramas spawned a type of film that has been described as "historical, operatic, choral or epic" (Greene 388). Filmmakers of the 1970s explored the traditional modes of melodramatic expression in order to address the socially charged times they lived in.... [tags: Apocalypse Now Essays]
2286 words (6.5 pages)
- Sut Jhally, a professor at the university of Massachusetts of whom won the distinguished teacher award, wrote in his essay “ Advertising at the Edge of the Apocalypse” that : 20th century advertising - the most powerful propaganda in human history - will destroy the world as we know it. The survival of the human race will depend upon our ability to minimize the harmful effects of Advertising. These effects will have lasting impacts on our culture, joy, and future. According to Karl Marx Capitalism depends on the sale of commodities.... [tags: sut jhally, apocalypse]
1091 words (3.1 pages)
- An Analysis of Geoffrey Hill’s Little Apocalypse Seamus Heaney’s “The Redress of Poetry” reveals the idea that “it is the imagination [of poetry] pressing back against the pressure of reality (1).” The two opposing forces of imagination and reality are active in Geoffrey Hill’s “Little Apocalypse.” The poem deals with the personal religious conflict of Friedrich Hoderlin (1770-1843), a German lyric poet. Hill focuses on Hoderlin’s struggle with his strong belief in Greek mythology and then Contemporary Protestant theology.... [tags: Little Apocalypse]
486 words (1.4 pages)
- A zombie apocalypse. It is something I worry about on a daily basis. Where would I hide. How would I survive. Well, the other day I was standing in the check-out line at Costco and I looked down at the contents of my cart. I had a bag of trail mix, a couple cans of corn and beans, a pack of water, a bottle of aspirin, and a memory foam mattress liner. I realized that if the apocalypse started, at that very moment, I would be absolutely fine. I had all of the elements and supplies needed to survive were in the building, if not already in my cart.... [tags: Zombie Apocalpse, Costco, Supplies]
1075 words (3.1 pages)
- ... The earthquake preparedness plan has been updated in 2010. They update the website as they find new information on how to protect us during a earthquake. (McSpaden, 2014) We have a lot of nuclear power plants in Illinois 6 to be exact. There is no risk if a earthquake were to happen because the nuclear power plants are away from the fault zone. (Mcspaden, 2014) Also since Illinois is now for having tornados the nuclear power plant is build to withstand a tornado so it would not knock done if a earthquake were to happen.... [tags: illinois, nuclear power plants, buildings]
729 words (2.1 pages)
- The Hero’s Journey in Francis Ford Coppola’s Apocalypse Now The hero’s journey in Francis Ford Coppola’s “Apocalypse Now” begins in the known natural world. The hero in Francis Ford Coppola’s masterpiece is Captain Willard. A call to adventure arouses when Willard is sent for to report to the general in command to receive his mission. Willard is informed of a renegade Colonel by the name of Kurtz, who has assembled his own followers and army. Kurtz left and disappeared from the Army and is killing American soldiers that come into his turf.... [tags: Francis Ford Coppola Apocalypse Now]
502 words (1.4 pages)
- The Apocalypse of William S. Burroughs’ Naked Lunch The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man. (William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell, p. 7) In 1980, William S. Burroughs delivered a speech at the Planet Earth Conference at the Institute of Ecotechnics in Aix-en-Provence titled ‘The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse’.1 In this speech, Burroughs, following religious tradition, says that the four horsemen of the apocalypse are Famine, Plague, War, and Death and moves on to prophesise a more contemporaneous apocalypse.... [tags: Apocalypse Burroughs Essays]
5466 words (15.6 pages)
- Y2K Preparedness This year, most of the world is preparing to celebrate the year 2000 and the coming of a new millennium. However, many businesses, manufacturers, banks and hospitals are quietly hoping for an uneventful new year’s transition. At midnight on December 31, many businesses will be anticipating what effects the millennium rollover will have on computer software and other equipment that contain a time sensitive chip called an embedded chip. Early computer programmers, in an effort to conserve limited memory space, programmed computers to read the year in only two digits.... [tags: Papers]
2751 words (7.9 pages)
- Apocalypse FOLLOWING IS AN IMPORTANT REVELATION BEING MADE TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC. THIS IS THE ONLY TIME YOU WILL BE CONTACTED. Disclaimer: The following information contains predictions of the future. This has been written for people who want to know what is on the horizon for humanity, and most importantly, WHAT THEY CAN DO ABOUT IT. Please understand that if you read this material, you will be doing it by your own choice. If your reaction causes you to want to report me to AOL for sending unsolicited email, it could result in my account being closed.... [tags: essays research papers]
3418 words (9.8 pages)