Andrew Jackson was my easiest pick for a party guest. Jackson grew up in Tennessee and became a war hero after his victory in the War of 1812 at the Battle of New Orleans. He became a lawyer and quickly earned a reputation for being aggressive and hasty with a quick temper (The White House n.d.). What dinner party isn’t livelier with a little emotion to liven things up? Jackson served in the House of Representatives and in the U.S. Senate after his military service, elevated to popular victory in the White House based on his decisive military battles. My second invite would be extended to Abraham Lincoln. Lincoln was born in Kentucky to a poor family. He later moved to Illinois where he became a lawye...
... middle of paper ...
...lincoln-9382540 (accessed December 8, 2013).
Goldfield, David. The Market Revolution and Social Reform. Vol. 1, chap. 12 in The American Journey, A History of the United States, by David R. Goldfield. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education, 2014.
History.com. George Washington - History.com ARticles, Video, Pictures and Facts. n.d. http://www.history.com/topics/george-washington (accessed December 8, 2013).
Public Broadcasting Service (PBS). Africans in America: Part 2 1750-1805 - Slavery & Religion. n.d. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part2/narrative.html (accessed September 23, 2013).
Public Broadcasting Service. Africans in America - Part 4 - Westward Expansion. n.d. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part4/4narr4.html (accessed December 8, 2013).
The White House. Andrew Jackson. n.d. http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/presidents/andrewjackson (accessed December 8, 2013).
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The President may not have many constitutionally enumerated powers but should always be consulted on decisions made concerning the country. According to some, “presidents today serve many important functions in the American political system. Noting these varied roles political scientist Clinton Rossiter referred to the many different “hats” that the president must wear during the course of a week or even during a day.”(Dautrich \ Yalof 182) In spite of his inadequate express powers, the President has the capability to rapidly respond to unforeseen emergencies.... [tags: troops, war, president]
546 words (1.6 pages)
- Hillary Clinton is running to be president for the democratic party. But this is not her first time running for president. Hillary for president in 2008 and lost to Obama and then again in 2012 but shortly dropped out. Through these years Has gained many supporters being that she was also secretary of state and her husband Bill Clinton was also one of the United States presidents. Hillary will be a great president because she has a lot of political experience, especially because she is secretary of state.... [tags: Democratic Party, President of the United States]
721 words (2.1 pages)
- ... I cautiously pull up a chair to the table with the three odd men. I stare at their faces for a moment. One man had a darker complexion and a handlebar moustache. This man was dressed in fine robes, bright purple embellished by ornate floral patterns sewn in gold. He looked to the man across from him. This man held a feather quill in his hand. Very slowly and neatly, he wrote “Akbar, the Great Mughal Emperor”. The writer had dark robes on. He looked down solemnly. I thought to myself, “He must be a friar”.... [tags: Akbhal, Procopius, Thomas Aquinas]
1964 words (5.6 pages)
- Trimalchio hosts’ a farewell dinner which is a dinner given to gladiators who were about to face wild beasts in the arena. Trimalchio is a Semitic name based on the word for “prince” and he is a high living individual. However, a well-born Roman reader would not approve of his attitudes and behavior. You get a good sense of what Trimalchio is like early on in the story when he is in the middle of talking to Menelaus and snaps his fingers for a slave to bring him a pot. When the slave brings the pot to Trimalchio he peed in it, asked for water and then used the slave’s hair to dry his hands.... [tags: Ancient Rome]
978 words (2.8 pages)
- The invites had been sent; the RSVPs had come in. I was waiting patiently for the guests to arrive. The party took place at a super-secret location in Hawaii. I had chosen the top-secret location so that surveillance would be unlikely. Furthermore, each guest would have to pass through state-of-the-art weapons and biological warfare detectors. William Shakespeare arrived first. “Hi,” I said. His response. “Good morrow.” What a strange greeting. I ushered him through the scanner. Of course William Shakespeare hadn’t carried any weapons.... [tags: Creative Writing Examples]
969 words (2.8 pages)
- The Assassination of John Fitzgerald Kennedy THE ASSASSINATION of John Fitzgerald Kennedy on November 22, 1963, was a cruel and shocking act of violence directed against a man, a family, a nation, and against all mankind. A young and vigorous leader whose years of public and private life stretched before him was the Victim of the fourth Presidential assassination in the history of a country dedicated to the concepts of reasoned argument and peaceful political change. This Commission was created on November 29, 1963, in recognition of the right of people everywhere to full and truthful knowledge concerning these events.... [tags: JFK Assassination American Presidents Essays]
3718 words (10.6 pages)
- John Fitzgerald Kennedy John Fitzgerald Kennedy 35th president of the United States, the youngest person ever to be elected president. He was also the first Roman Catholic president and the first president to be born in the 20th century. Kennedy was assassinated before he completed his third year as president. Therefore his achievements were limited. Nevertheless, his influence was worldwide, and his handling of the Cuban Missile Crisis may have prevented war. Young people especially liked him.... [tags: Biographies Presidents Papers]
2889 words (8.3 pages)
- Dinner Party I walked out into my dinning room where I had been mulling over the table all day. I wanted everything to be just so. I glanced at the place settings for the hundredth time, trying to decide if I should sit Alfred Zingale and Matthias Arndt next to each other. It wasn’t that I was worried about conflicting views, actually it was quiet the contrary, and I didn’t want them to be able to double team the other guests. Finally I decided that just because they have essentially the same opinions, I wouldn’t separate them.... [tags: Personal Narrative Companies Business Papers]
2324 words (6.6 pages)
- With the United States economy in a state of recession from the empty promises brought forth by President George Bush, the country needed a change for the better. President Bush’s policies were not pulling through, and the American people were expecting results. Re-election was nearing for Bush and he really needed to get his act together if he wanted another term in office. Out of no where a former governor was leading the polls over Republican candidate, President George Bush. Clinton had focused a lot of his efforts towards the younger generation of 18 to 25 years.... [tags: essays research papers]
572 words (1.6 pages)
- Environmental issues, and policies have recently come to the for-front of American politics in the past four decades. This recent rise in the environment is due in part to the rapid boom in population in the past 40 years. The two major party candidates for the 2000 presidential election have keyed in on certain environmental issues to make strong arguments for the presidency. Gov. George W. Bush, who is the republican presidential candidate, is pretty much anti-environmental, but the rich people love him.... [tags: essays research papers]
1162 words (3.3 pages)