Particularly, the use of these interpersonal skills such as: perception checking,, using “I” Statements and “We” language, and avoiding absolutes should improve our communication.. Using perception checking aided in accurately understanding my boyfriend’s actions. For instance, there are several occasions where I assumed he was intentionally ignoring my phone calls but he was actually busy and away from his phone. Initially, I would ask Jermaine, “Why have you been ignoring me all day”? Or “What’s wrong with you’re your phone, is it broken”? With perception checking, the first step is to describe the behavior, so I would say to Jermaine, I have been calling you all day and you have not answered. Secondly, you give two interpretations for the behavior, therefore I would say, “Have you been busy today or have you been away from your phone”? Then, I would request for clarification and so I would ask, “What is the problem”? (Adler & Proctor, 2011). After learning the steps of perception checking, I made sure to utilize the skill because it minimized our arguments a great deal and in return, Jermaine responded to my questions respectfully and in a generous manner.
Additionally, I integrated “I” state...
... middle of paper ...
...oiding absolutes helped me clarify his actions truthfully and it also ended the pointless debates about his behavior (Adler & Proctor, 2011).
Using perception checking, using “I” statements and “We” language, and avoiding absolutes have aided my relationship tremendously and our communication is becoming more effective everyday. The use of these skills has lessened our misunderstandings and meaningless arguments, which were the essential goals for my development plan. Achieving these goals has allowed us to grow and it also demonstrated our increased maturity throughout this semester. This experience seemed to be enduring; it is truly an impressive technique for any relationship, especially my relationship with my boyfriend, Jermaine.
Adler, R. B., & Proctor II, R. F. (2011). Looking out/ looking in; interpersonal communication. Boston: Wadsworth.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Have you ever imagined your boyfriend dying and then coming back to kill you. Well this is not something you usually think about, but it might happen. The author R.L. Stein will take you through this in the book “The Boyfriend”. “The Boyfriend” was first published in 1990. This book is an exciting mystery- fiction book. This story takes place in various places. The main part of the story takes place in Joanna’s house. Joanna’s house in situated in a fancy community called Middle wood. The houses there were not very close together.... [tags: essays research papers]
847 words (2.4 pages)
- Located in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, Jermaine Landon Events (JLE) is an innovative event planning business with a focus on gay and lesbian events in the triangle area. JLE is best known for hosting Stir every Sunday night at the East End Oyster & Martini Bar on Franklin Street. Stir is a high-energy dance party that attracts patrons from all over the triangle. Founded by Jermaine Landon himself in 2006, Mr. Landon shows us that with a little hard work, dedication and networking skills, a successful business can be created using nothing more than a few social media services found on the World Wide Web.... [tags: Business Entrepreneur Essays]
1182 words (3.4 pages)
- I would like to believe that I am most accurately described as a nurturing, compassionate, and loving boyfriend. All too often my ears pick up on the conversations of people declaring that I am all of these qualities and many more, no conceit intended. Ironically, a recent relationship of mine ended after six months of problem after problem. I believe that the expectations for me, as they are for all guys in a relationship, were unreasonable and slightly unfair. While there was not clear reason for breaking up, I was given many frugal and contradicting reasons.... [tags: Personal Narrative, Relationships, Love]
685 words (2 pages)
- Generation Y has been through an array of difficulties. Drug abuse is one of the issues teens are faced with everyday. Not only narcotic drugs, but also prescription drugs and over the counter medications have been used and abused. Drugs have gotten easier to acquire throughout the years. Generation Y has had many teens be affected by media messages and how they project an image of sex to the viewers. What are the reasons behind drug abuse. People from all walks of life have been victims of drug abuse.... [tags: Drugs]
1069 words (3.1 pages)
- My Boyfriend - Personal Narrative I went through an inner journey when I met my boyfriend of 7 months. Meeting him completely changed the way I look at life and what I want to do with my life. I went through a period of my life where I was depressed and angry. I wasn't connecting with any of my friends; my mum was stressed and angry, family life was horrible. I felt like I didn't belong anywhere. No-one had the same feelings as me, or felt the same things as me. I didn't know what to do.... [tags: Papers]
553 words (1.6 pages)
- ... There are signs you need to know and you have to be a keen observer to really see them. Here are some of the warning signs that you are not dating the right girl. She Flirts Big Time If the girl you are dating easily gets physically attracted to every guy she meets, then you have to back off a little. There are tell-tale signs that your current flame is a perpetual flirt. Ever noticed your girl keeping her eyes on another man even when she is chatting with you. Or do you always see her playing with her hair and casually touching every attractive guy she is speaking with.... [tags: flirts, comparisson, ex boyfriend]
631 words (1.8 pages)
- The results of going to college the very first time vary with different people. Some people will be frightened by the way of life change, and the transition from living with family to being by their selves. On the other hand some people will be ready to move on, and to proceed with their future, and will jump at the moment to take another class that will better themselves. College will provide difficulties around every corner but will also provide the opportunities to go around those difficulties to succeed.... [tags: college Education, higher learning]
537 words (1.5 pages)
- Stereotyping - My Boyfriend, the Half-Breed I sat across the table from my dad while he stared at me with a disbelieving look on his face. My mom sat to the right of me with tears in her eyes. She could see my pain as well as my dads, and she knew the war that was about to start between my own father and me. My brother sat to the left of me making comments that only made the situation worse. I could feel myself dying inside as my heart began to break. I had no idea how to deal with the situation that I had gotten myself into.... [tags: Example Personal Narratives]
1626 words (4.6 pages)
- According to McArthur, Konold, Glutting and Alamprese (2010), many adults in the United States have difficulties with basic literacy. A solution to this situation has been the founding of adult basic education (ABE) programs by the U.S Department of Education which helps and serves more than 2 million adults annually (U.S Department of Education, Division of Adult Education and Literacy, 2002, 2006). Mellard and Patterson (2008) found that ABE students differ in skill from zero or minimal reading skills to reading simple stories, books and descriptions on familiar subjects so new vocabulary can be determined by context.... [tags: Special Education ]
2106 words (6 pages)
- Rhonda Brook's Difficulties Rhoda Brook was a milkmaid who was in her early thirties. She worked on Farmer Lodge's farm milking the cows, Farmer Lodge adored her when she was younger, this lead to them having an affair; Rhoda became pregnant. Farmer Lodge decided to end their relationship, Rhoda had to continue her life looking after and bringing up his child, but she remained working on the farm being ignored by almost everyone. During this time Rhoda faced many difficulties including other milkmaids talking about her.... [tags: Papers]
627 words (1.8 pages)