A civil remedy is when a court of law, enforces a right, imposes a penalty, or makes another court order to impose its will. The sum of the remedy is based on the degree of assistance required by the individual. This is imposed by a judge after the individual has recognized that she or he has had their rights infringed by the defendant. The cost of remedies is usually broken up into many subcategories with numerous conditions coming into consideration. Compensatory damages is the money that is paid for the harm done to property or a person, which has resulted in an overall loss of worth or the diminishing of its usefulness. At times there is a minimum required amount that is paid to the winning plaintiff according to statute law. Coercive remedies are also imposed, with the intent of forcing the defendant to do, or to refrain from harming the plaintiff. Equitable remedies are designed to bring about justice in situations where money does not provide complete relief to individuals who have been harmed. The remedy also depends on the severity of the case and to what extent a certain law has been breached. (TheFreeDictionary.com, 2014)
In every case a judge would decide the sum based on the different types of laws violated and the types of remedies specific to the situation. Many civil court cases deal with the issue of breaching a contract. In this example compensatory damages, restitution, punitive damages and quantum meruit are going to be used. Suppose an individual hired and employed someone to clean their house for $100, but was unable to do it. Later the individual searched for a new cleaning service, and the cheapest one found charged $150. I...
... middle of paper ...
...acy of civil remedies is a topic which requires much analysis and investigation. One could argue that due to the large variety of civil remedies, the impartiality of judges and the right to appeal, that civil remedies are most often than not substantial. Nevertheless some remedies are hard to enumerate, money cannot always make up for a situation and there are various legal loopholes. Due to these reason one could argue that remedies don’t or never will go far enough. I am much divided on this issue and have yet to make up my mind on where I stand. An improvement in this area could be by giving out other forms of remedies, not just money. Perhaps replacing a vandalised item or compensating for a breach of contract by working extra hours. It would be fruitful to pursue further research and discussion about this in order to come to a better understanding of this topic.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Hawaiian Folklore When I think of Hawaii the first thing that comes to mind are hula skirts, luaus, and tikis, but there is so much more to Hawaiian folklore than that. As I researched Hawaiian folklore, I grew a fonder interest for Hawaiian culture. Hawaii has always been my ideal vacation spot, but now I feel as though visiting Hawaii for all the culture would be amazing. As a child, I watched plenty of shows that portrayed Hawaiians as superstitious, storytelling people. As I did the research for this assignment, I read so many folk tales, legends, and superstitions; as I went through this course, I also realized that all cultures have a great deal of folklore.... [tags: home remedies, superstitious, storytelling ]
1265 words (3.6 pages)
- Dark underarms or armpits are a condition of the skin under the arms that becomes dark. It becomes a major concern to fair skin people as dark armpits are more visible on fair skin than on dark skin. The causes for dark underarms are: • Improper cleaning • Sweating • Friction due to different types of clothes • Dead skin cells • Use of shaving products • Deodorants containing alcohol The symptoms of dark underarms are • Sweating • Itching • Dark skin along the area of armpits • Bad odor Pregnancy, hormonal changes, age and genes all play an important role in decolonization of the armpits and cause a lot of embarrassment.... [tags: Health Care]
836 words (2.4 pages)
- Sinus is basically an inflammation in the nasal passage. Coughing, sneezing, feeling tired and achy are the common symptoms of sinus. This indicates the sinus condition. Suffering from sinus may have different types of headaches as well, like tension headache, cough headache, eye strain headache, sore throat headache, blurred vision headache. One may also suffer from headache nausea. The symptoms of sinus infection depend on it is chronic or acute. Signals vary from person to person. There are basically two types Acute Sinusitis and Chronic Sinusitis.... [tags: Health]
864 words (2.5 pages)
- The Different Types of Delegated Legislation a). Describe the different types of delegated legislation, explaining how the power to make them is delegated (15 marks) Delegated legislation is made up of laws that are created under the authority of Parliament, but not by Parliament itself. The Enabling or Parent Act is what is used to specify the person or group with the power to make more specific laws and the extent of their power. There are three types of delegated legislation which are statutory instruments, orders in council and bylaws.... [tags: Papers]
997 words (2.8 pages)
- ... Alternative medicine or therapies go from being proven to disproven, and can be downright dangerous and ridiculous. Medical science has recently started to do actual research into alternative medicine. With the exception of some surprising treatments that have medical potential, most treatments have little, if no effect at all. Some people use alternative medicine even when they aren’t sick, like yoga. Many people believe that complementary and alternative medicine can help improve the healthiness of their body.... [tags: remedies, care, conventional medicine]
1408 words (4 pages)
- ... These glands are called sebaceous glands which produce sebum, an oily substance that helps to stop the skin from drying out (Acne Academy). When a gland produces too much sebum, it begins to form a blockage in the pore, thus producing acne. For mild acne treatments there are options for over the counter treatment. These products usually contain resorcinol, benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, sulfur, Retin-A, and azelaic acid. Benzoyl peroxide is used for killing bacteria and slowing down oil production within the glands.... [tags: natural remedies, counter treatment]
595 words (1.7 pages)
- The Colonial Period The improvement of medicine over the course of the human successes gave great convenience to the people of today. Science has cured and prevented many illnesses from occurring and is on its way to cure some of the most dreadful and harmful illnesses. As the world modernizes due to the industrialization, so does the ways of medicine. Some cures are approached by chance, some, through intense, scientific measures. Medicine has come a long way from the Greek period. Theories composed of the four elements were used to explain the sick phenomenon that happens to our bodies.... [tags: earth remedies, herbs, trees, or flowers]
3254 words (9.3 pages)
- Running is one of the many sports that do not get enough attention that it rightfully deserves. What is so special about it anyway, all people do in this sport is either run various distances in different terrains or in endless circles on a track. But, it is so much than that there is so much preparation and technique that goes into running. It’s the same as a football player spending hours studying multiple plays; or a volleyball player tirelessly redoing a spike to get just the right impact time.... [tags: sport, runner, forefoot, injury, athletes]
1059 words (3 pages)
- Phase delayed sleep, unlike other sleeping conditions, is both a temporary and genetically inherited disorder that causes an inability to sleep until later hours and makes it difficult to wake in the morning, and depending on the case, may have cures or only treatments. For those with the disorder, most do not get enough sleep because of their inability to go to bed before midnight. There are different severities of the condition: some mild, moderate and severe. The difficulty does not lie with the inability to sleep well; but rather with the inability to sleep during the time frame required for wakefulness the next morning.... [tags: sleeping disorders, melatonin, pills]
904 words (2.6 pages)
- How Equitable Remedies Contributed to the Development of New Interests in Land The common law has been romantically and mistakenly described as the law of the common people of England. In fact, it could be argued that the common law was a product of a particular struggle for political power. Before the Norman Conquest of England in 1066, a unitary, national legal system did not actually exist. The common law was developed after the Norman Conquest through the “itinerant justices” travelling around the country in order to sort out disputes by selecting the best local customs and making them the basis of the law of England.... [tags: Papers]
1244 words (3.6 pages)