Friendship is an interpersonal relationship between two people that is mutually productive and can be characterized by mutual positive regard. Friendship should enhance the potential of each person involved and should only be productive. You must like each other in order to call it a friendship, and it should have the characteristics of trust, emotional support, and sharing of interests. There are three major types of friendship: reciprocity, receptivity, and association.
Receptivity type of friendship is described as an imbalance in giving and receiving. One person is the primary giver and the other is the primary receiver. Although this relationship is imbalanced, it is considered positive because each person gains something from the relationship. In episode three season eight of Modern Family, the relationship between Marv, a promotional advisor, and Phil, a realtor, can be described as a friendship of receptivity. Marv works for Phil to help advertise his properties, which benefits Phil’s business. Marv is the primary giver and Phil is the primary receiver. Phil also thinks very highly of Marv and thinks he can sell anything and that “he is a master” at what he does.
Love is an interpersonal relationship developed, maintained, and possibly destroyed through communication, but also can...
... middle of paper ...
...xample of one of the three opposing motives; you can wish to still be an independent person while also wanting to connect closely to another person and grow the relationship. People often worry that they will lose their identity if they become too involved with their partner. If you understand the relationship dialects theory, then you will be able to deal with these issues through the ways it suggests.
Close relationships can often be referred to as interpersonal relationships. The television series Modern Family is centered around the different types of interpersonal relationships the everyday person can relate to. Being aware of how we communicate within our friendship, love, family, or workplace relationships can help you better yourself. Understanding the different relationship theories will help you understand how and why our relationships work or don’t work.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The patterns or interactions between different types of relationships even family ones show that there are different types of dynamics. Every power dynamic is different and unique in its own way. No matter how close or distant the relationship’s parties are they are always influenced by their surroundings and what is portrayed around them. In her short story “Storms” Claire Keegan manipulates the theme of cruelty in order to explore power and family dynamics in a relationship. Some power in relationships are shown by the way one person in the relationship influences all the other people in the relationship.... [tags: Mother, Family, Father, Short story]
1511 words (4.3 pages)
- In the Chicano stories there are many different types of relationships represent, four of those relationships are that of the ones between; men and other men, women and their children, and the broken relationships between husbands and wives. It’s pretty clear that there is a major separation of gender in these stories and whenever there is some kind of get together the men hang with the men and the women with the women. Also in these stories there isn’t any real relationship between the men and their children and the women over see their care.... [tags: Husband, Marriage, Wife, Family]
1401 words (4 pages)
- Did you know that 33% of adolescents are in relationships with sexual, physical, verbal, or emotional abuse. Although many adolescents are killed due to abusive relationships (nearly 4,000 women each year), teens stay in abusive relationships because they are afraid to leave, they think their partners will change, or they think that it is normal and that those things happen in every relationship. There are six different types of abuse involving relationships. Men tend to be the ones abusing while woman tend to be the victims.... [tags: Abuse, Child abuse, Bullying, Sexual intercourse]
1014 words (2.9 pages)
- There are many different kinds of intimate relationships that people partake in, marriage being one of them. Most people think of marriage as one thing: a socially approved union between two people, mainly a man and a woman. Marriage nowadays can mean includes different kinds of relationships, such as; same-sex couples and common law unions. In the past, arranged marriages were the norm of how a marriage would work but today it’s more about free-choice of who your partner is going to be. Arranged marriages weren’t about free-choice of who you want to marry but, unlike marriages in today’s society.... [tags: Marriage, Family, Same-sex marriage, Civil union]
1065 words (3 pages)
- The play “Dancing at Lughnasa” written by Brain Friel is full of different types of relationships which I will explore in my essay. The typical and traditional example of relationships between women and man in this play is portrayed through Chris and Gerry. The dynamics of their relationship infrequently changes with time. Although they are bound together by their son Michael, they don’t live together and aren’t married. Gerry visits are irregular and unexpected; usually whenever he takes it into his head.... [tags: Brain Friels, play, relationship, music]
1147 words (3.3 pages)
- Despite the fact that there is a strict Code of Conduct of Pharmacy in the United Kingdom, the problems of sexual boundaries being crossed between doctors and patients is still happening. This report aims to provide information about different types of relationship between doctors and patients which can lead to unethical sexual behaviour between the two parties. The findings shows that this case is common when there is an unbalance power between doctors and patients and when the patients attend a long and continuous meeting sessions with the doctors.... [tags: Human sexual behavior, Sexual intercourse]
1034 words (3 pages)
- This journey was a lot different for me. I would say I am a person with middle of the road views. I have heard people in my congregation speak about types of family. As I looked at this topic I wondered how to put the idea of family and sexuality together. I say this because I am serving at churches made up of rural conservative European congregations. I was looking at this by looking at different types of family and God’s family. I wanted to bring it into the sermon, but I struggled with talking about sexuality while not being one sided.... [tags: homosexuality and religion, sermons]
1634 words (4.7 pages)
- The media The media can come in many forms. From social media, magazines to Television. Although there are fundamental differences the core purpose of all media is communication. Whether it be to inform, entertain or advertise. Communication Communication comes in many forms as well. For example: written or spoken communication. These all involve the the exchange of information through different medias. In order for communication to be carried our correctly, understanding must be accomplished which in turn effects your relationships.... [tags: Communication, media, relationships]
1120 words (3.2 pages)
- Types of Relationships Each of the three types of relationships implies a general class of product offering. The transaction-based relationship implies a single product; the technical advisory relationship accompanies product and service bundles; and partnership involves a theme-based array of products and services that change according to the customer's stage of life. By this yardstick, the Insurance business is a typical case of the partnership-based approach. Any good agent would keep track of his client's evolving needs by considering his age, income, life events etc.... [tags: Papers]
6142 words (17.5 pages)
- Whether it occurs in the home, at work, or many other places, human beings maintain relationships everywhere they go. People have different types of relationships. A person keeps a relationship with their mother, pastor, friend, and boss, but those relationships are all different. There are many different elements to analyze when discussing a relationship. Many factors are involved, such as amount of time spent, amount of intimacy, types of activities participated in, and dependability of the relationship.The first type of relationship a person typically has, are ones that are formed within a religious setting, such as a church, temple, or synagogue.... [tags: essays research papers]
1174 words (3.4 pages)