Technology is ever changing around us, and one of these changes comes in the form of output devices. Can you imagine looking up something on the computer and not being able to print it out? How could we look at or listen to anything on our computer without a monitor and speakers? All of this is possible because of the advancement of output devices. Output devices use electronic or electromechanical equipment, such as printers, video displays, or speakers, to present data from a computer to a user in the form of text, images, sounds, or other media (Farlex). Output devices have made our lives so much more convenient, and allow us to receive the information we desire much more readily.
One of the most common output devices is a printer. A printer is an output device that produces text and graphics on a physical medium such as paper (COM 9). There are a wide variety of printers to choose from including impact, nonimpact, and photo printers. Each comes with their own set of pros and cons, and deciding which one works best for you all depends on what features are most important to you.
One type of impact printer is the dot-matrix printer, which prints characters and illustrations by striking pins against an ink ribbon. The pins form closely spaced dots to shape the desired character. The negatives of dot-matrix printers are they are quite expensive, do not produce high quality output, and are quite noisy. However, they can print to multi-page forms, while non-impact printers cannot (Escotal).
Two types of non-impact printers are ink-jet and laser printers. Ink-jet printers work by spraying ionized ink at a sheet of paper, than magnetized plates in the ink's path direct the ink onto the paper to create t...
... middle of paper ...
...Escotal.com Computer Training, Internet Consulting. 2013. Web. 22 Nov. 2013.
Farlex. The Free Dictionary by Farlex. 2009. Houghton Mifflin Company. Web. 22 Nov. 2013.
Fox, Will. FutureTimeline.net. 2013. 22 Nov. 2013.
PhotoPrinters.us. Photo Printers. 2004-2011. Web. 22 Nov. 2013.
Shelly, Gary B. and Misty E. Vermaat. Microsoft Office 2010 Introductory. Boston: Course Technology, Cengage Learning, 2011. Print.
Wikipedia. Display device. 23 May 2013. Web. 22 Nov. 2013.
Williams, Sun. Five Fantastic Advances in Smartphone Technology. 14 Feb. 2013. Web. 22 Nov. 2013.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Output Devices Output Devices are the signals or data sent from a computer system and presented to the user in a suitable format. However though CD-ROM and DVDs are not output devices, those are considered to be storage devices. Computer output devices can be organized into four simple categories, audio, graphics, text, and video. Audio is music, speech, or any other sound. Graphics are digital representations of non-text information such as drawings, charts, photographs, and animation. Text consists of letters, numbers, punctuation marks, or any other symbol that is used to create words, sentences, and paragraphs.... [tags: technology, signals, printer]
787 words (2.2 pages)
- Data Input, Output, Storage and Access Methods The purpose of this paper is to highlight some best practices for data input and output. In addition, this paper will highlight appropriate uses of various storage means. Lastly, it will address the effect certain components of a computer have on its overall speed. Accuracy of Data Input There are various methods for entering data into a computer system. Depending on the medium in which the original data is contained, and how it is to be stored and used later, there can be great differences in input methods.... [tags: data ]
1240 words (3.5 pages)
- Introduction to Computers Input â€‘ The Keyboard The keyboard is essentially based on the standard QWERTY keyboard used by typists. The main differences are the additions made by computer manufacturers. The first thing to notice is that the keyboard has three main sections. The first section is the main QWERTY keyboard, which has three extra keys. The most important of these extra keys is usually marked "ENTER" or "RETURN". The enter key is on the right side of the keyboard and is used to tell the computer that you have finished typing and wish either to move to a fresh empty line or that you want the computer to carry out the typed instruction.... [tags: Papers]
2188 words (6.3 pages)
- Prior to the 1940s, the term “computer” did not refer to the digital machines we know today, but rather instead to a person who computed information. Human computers performed computing operations by hand, which was time-consuming and prone to error. With the advent of computing technologies, humans were able to use machines to perform computations at a vastly greater rate and without error. From the 1940s to today, computers have evolved through several generations, and their meaning has changed to refer to electronic devices used to store and process data.... [tags: Computer, Integrated circuit, Computing]
1300 words (3.7 pages)
- There is one way to define a PC: a general purpose information processing device. "Who invented the computer?" is not a question with a simple answer. The real answer is that many inventors contributed to the history of computers and that a computer is a complex piece of machinery made up of many parts, each of which can be considered a separate invention." (The History of Computers- Mary Bellis) In simpler terms for those whose expertise are lacking in the technical world; a PC can take information from a keyboard, floppy disk, or modem and process it.... [tags: Technology History]
1264 words (3.6 pages)
- Output Devices We all use output devices in our normal day to day life, most of us use them a lot more than we may realize now that we are in school. An output device is any processing equipment used to communicate the results of data carried out by a computer or other processing devices which turns information into an easier form for us to read. (Wikipedia). The two main kinds of output devices that we use, this includes the printer and the display monitor. The printer is used for processing text and graphic onto paper.... [tags: technology, printer, monitor]
779 words (2.2 pages)
- The similarities and the differences between Mac operating system (OS X) and Windows 10 operating system. As the internet is becoming faster and faster, an operating system (OS) is needed to manage the data in computers. An Operating system can be considered to be a set of programed codes that are created to control hardware such as computers. In 1985 Windows was established as an operating system and a year earlier Mac OS was established, and they have dominated the market of the computer programs since that time.... [tags: Operating system, Apple Inc., Macintosh, Mac OS X]
727 words (2.1 pages)
- Everything You Need To Know About Output Devices What is an output device you ask. Well, an output device is anything that can convert electronic information into hard information. The most common form of an output device would be a printer. The printer would be the device that would take the electronic information from most commonly a computer and put it on to a piece of paper and now that electronic information would be information that can be read and used. Although, output devices are not limited to printers or hard information you can hold.... [tags: virtual reality, types of printers, display device]
940 words (2.7 pages)
- Output, input, Storage and Speed of the Computer Printed questionnaires Intelligent Character Recognition (ICR) would be the best choice. Its the ICR technology that allows data capture software to automatically to, read information from all types of documents - even handwritten ones. Telephone survey-voice recognition is best because a voice input device can be programmed to distinguish answers spoken into the receiver allowing it to all be completed by computers. Bank checks- scanning devices that recognizes bar codes are called MICR (Magnetic Ink Character Recognition) a magnetic scanning input device.... [tags: Technology Computer]
1017 words (2.9 pages)
- Devices of Computers Computers perform the input, storage, processing, and output functions of the information system. In addition, computers and their devices need ways to communicate with one another. These devices are usually connected by electronic cables when located near each other. The factors that determine the reliability of an information system are the accuracy of data input, the convenience and quality of output, optimal use of storage devices, and the speed of a computer. Accuracy of data input is important, and computers ensure that the results are correct by not making mistakes that people do.... [tags: Computer Technology]
1396 words (4 pages)