Christianity and Islam are most dominant religions worldwide. Statistics show that thirty-three percent of the population is Christian and twenty-one percent is Muslim. Thought they share many similarities in origin and mirrored images in their sacred texts, the two beliefs hold several key differences.
Both Christianity and Islam mirror Judaism. From Judaism, Christianity and Islam took hold of the concepts of monotheism, prophecy, resurrection, and a belief in the existence of heaven and hell. Both religions also have a sacred text; Christians consider the Bible the inspired word of God, His words written and spoken through his followers. However Muslims hold the belief that the Koran is the literal spoken breath of God. Mohammed was merely transcribing the words of Allah, much as a court reporter does. With this knowledge they hold to be true Muslims hold the Koran and Islam at a higher level of truth and authenticity then the beliefs held by Christians and the Bible.
There are two main paths to salvation in the Christian world; that practiced in Catholicism and its other half, the Protestant belief. Catholic salvation includes heavy involvement in the church with the process of baptism and penance. The Protestant belief believes that the way to salvation only requires the sole belief in the resurrection and sacrifice of Christ Jesus. The Islam belief holds the complete opposite view in that salvation is achieved by the works you do as a human, something very opposite of the Christian viewpoint.
Christianity is focused on forgiveness and mercy, paired with apocalyptic visions, Hell, and the wrath of God. But Islam is centered on justice and the destruction of unbelievers. Allah is merciful -- but not to those who don’t...
... middle of paper ...
...ly for the purpose of being a helper and companion for the man, Adam. It was also the conniving Eve who created original sin by talking the innocent Adam into eating the forbidden fruit. St. Paul forbade women to speak in church and instructed them to submit to their husbands. According to Paul, the man was not "created for the woman; but the woman for the man."
In Sura 4, the Koran plainly states that "men are superior to women." Women are instructed to dress modestly; a "virtuous" woman is one who is "obedient." If she is not obedient, her husband is allowed to scourge her. But the husband is admonished not to punish a virtuous woman.
As a Christian myself I do disagree with many of the practices of the Islamic faith; however, no matter what our personal beliefs are, it is important that we recognize the significant differences between these two dominant religions.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Christianity and Islam are two religions that have things in common and also have differences. Every religion has their own way of doing things and believing in what they believe in. Each one has the right to live the way they want to, thinking what they want to think happened. There was a lot of information about these two specific religions in the readings, that were provided. There are plenty of differences, but surprisingly there were a lot of common interests as well. When thinking of different religions, it is expected that they are all different and have totally different beliefs, but not in the case.... [tags: Islam, Christianity, Muhammad, Religion]
1079 words (3.1 pages)
- Essay 2 Christianity and Islam are most dominant religions worldwide. Statistics show that thirty-three percent of the population is Christian and twenty-one percent is Muslim. Thought they share many similarities in origin and mirrored images in their sacred texts, the two beliefs hold several key differences. Both Christianity and Islam mirror Judaism. From Judaism, Christianity and Islam took hold of the concepts of monotheism, prophecy, resurrection, and a belief in the existence of heaven and hell.... [tags: Islam, Christianity, Qur'an, Jesus]
1399 words (4 pages)
- Islam and Christianity are two of the largest religions that are practiced in the world. They are characterized by their beliefs and practices. These doctrines both have similarities that interlock, and differences that separate them. Learning about these faiths from a historical perspective allows people and myself to be knowledgeable of these religions, and its modern day members. It allows me to evaluate my shallow view of certain religions and interact without misinformed prejudice.... [tags: Christianity, Jesus, Islam, Bible]
1086 words (3.1 pages)
- Islam and Christianity have many differences and similarities; moreover, one of the main differences in both religions are the different main religious figures; Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) and Jesus Christ. Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) is the main religious figure in the religion of Islam. He is known as the last of over 200 prophets that existed. Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) was born in Mecca and a descendant of the Prophet Ismail and son of the Prophet Ibrahim (PBUT). Further, Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) was a very humble individual.... [tags: Muhammad, Islam, Jesus, Qur'an]
1446 words (4.1 pages)
- In earlier lessons, it was perceived that religions sided towards worshiping numerous gods which is known as polytheism. However, Judaism began to rise, which believed in one mighty God and from it Christianity and Islam originated. Due to these three religions being monotheistic and developed from Judaism, they possess an excessive amount of similarities, yet on account of them being different religions there are also major differences between them. For example, “as opposed to Jewish faith, which was founded on a common ethnic identity, Islam opened its arms to any and all comers – a feature it shared with Christianity” (Sayre 295).... [tags: Judaism, Christianity, Religion, Islam]
1304 words (3.7 pages)
- In earlier lessons, it was seen that religions sided towards worshiping many gods which is known as polytheistic, however, Judaism began to rise which believed in one mighty God and from it Christianity and Islam originated. Due to these three religions being monotheistic and developed from Judaism, they possess many similarities, yet since they are different religions there are also major differences between them. For example, “as opposed to Jewish faith, which was founded on a common ethnic identity, Islam opened its arms to any and all comers – a feature it shared with Christianity” (Sayre 295).... [tags: Judaism, Christianity, Religion, Islam]
1281 words (3.7 pages)
- Islam and Christianity have a vast amount of similarities as well as differences. Islam searches for guidance from the Qur’an and Christianity depends on faith in Jesus. Islamic faith believes in the God, Allah. Above anything else, all religious Muslims obey Allah and his commandments to obtain peace. On other hand, Christianity puts faith in Jesus who is the son of God. A major concept that separates both of the religions is the fact that the God of each faith has different qualities. This means Islam and Christianity don’t worship the same God.... [tags: Islam, God, Religion, Allah]
996 words (2.8 pages)
- INTRODUCTION Both Islam and Catholicism can be considered two major religions in the world. Ninian Smart’s seven dimensions of religion define key element in a religion. Despite the fact that the two religions are different, there are some factors which are similar between the two religions. Catholicism and Islam can be compared and contrasted through Smart’s Doctrinal and Ethical Dimensions, the history of these faith traditions in Australia and a contemporary issue of euthanasia. Through the evaluation of the Doctrinal and Ethical dimensions of religion, history and the perspectives on euthanasia, it will become clear that Catholicism and Islam are able to be compared and contrasted.... [tags: Islam, Christianity, God, Trinity]
1430 words (4.1 pages)
- West Africa represent rich platform for numerous indigenous religion across multiples territories and populations for many centuries. However, the influx of popular and organized religions such as Christianity and Islam had modified the overall concept of African primitive spiritually and the interpretation of religion. Even though major religions like Islam and indigenous African religion differs in beliefs system, religions like Odinani of the Igbo people, Dogon and the Maguzawa all have similarities that can be traced back to Islam.... [tags: Religion, Islam, Christianity]
1447 words (4.1 pages)
- The biggest religions on earth have many differences, but surprisingly they have a lot in common. Those two religious are Islam and christianity. Around the world about two billion people, of many different denomations accept Christianity as their religion. About 1.57 billion people accept Islam as their religion. The two religions are monotheistic and have faith in one single God, but Islam alludes to the same god, as Allah. The two religions are focused around diverse teachings. Christianity is focused around the life and teachings of Jesus Christ, and Islam is focused around the teachings of the prophet Muhammad.... [tags: Qur'an, Islam, Jesus, Muhammad]
903 words (2.6 pages)