There are many different characteristics that bring territories together and make them stronger. One of these is religion. Religion is the organized system of beliefs, ceremonies, and rules used to worship a god or a group of gods. In these religions, there is usually a leader to guide the people in their belief and show them the right path to take to serve their god. Throughout history there have been many different types of religion. The three main ones that are still recognized today are Buddhism, Christianity, and Islam. Each had different people that were seen as a leader. In order for others to know about these leaders and the works they did, there were many stories that were written about them. These stories were created to spread knowledge of their religion and how one was to act when following it. Three documents of the 300 B.C.E-800 B.C.E time period that were about religious leaders are Asokavadana, Life of Constantine, and The Life of Muhammad, Apostle of Allah and were written with persuasive purposes to show which behaviors were approved and disapproved of by looking into inspired men’s lives.
The Asokavadana is a story of one of the religious leaders of the Buddhist religion, King Aśoka. King Aśoka was a very respectful man who would bow to the Buddhist monks when he saw them. One of his ministers, Yaśas, did not think that this was acceptable since the monks were lower in the caste system than the king. The king saw this as an opportunity to teach his followers, so he demanded all of his ministers to bring him the heads of various types of animals and then sell them in the market place. Yaśas was commanded to bring and sell the head of a human, but no one wanted it because it was found disgus...
... middle of paper ...
...mmad, Apostle of Allah wrote with the purpose of leading others to the Islamic religion. This is shown in the positive manner that Muhammad is spoken of. The story of Allah sending an angel to speak to Muhammad puts this great man on a very high pedestal, which encourages others to follow him. The prophet Muhammad was a very influential leader of the Islamic religion.
In conclusion, the documents Asokavadana, Life of Constantine, and The Life of Muhammad, Apostle of Allah give portraits of inspired me that helped pioneer the religions of Buddhism, Chrisitanity, and Islam. Religious documents are very important in understanding what that religion approves and disapproves of. The documents also provide historical facts about how the religions began and the important people that helped spread it. Without them, these religions would not be as strong as they are today.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Over time religion has played an important role in society, and continues to do so today. Religious practices are different for every one. This is simply because there are several types of religions. Different religions include: Islamic, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism, and Christianity. There are several different similarities, and differences within all of these religions. Although these religions may not share many of the same ideas and beliefs, they do have several things in command such as, they almost all have idols in which they worship or follow, they all have their own religious texts, and many use numeric systems.... [tags: Islam, Religion, God, Christianity]
720 words (2.1 pages)
- Religion, also known as accepted schizophrenia, is a major part of societies across the globe and has played an enormous role in the history of humanity. Unfortunately, there is not just one religion. Due to the fact that religion exists off of mere belief and no evidence, there are many religions. Religions range from being massively accepted by billions across the globe to religions that are only there to satirize religion. Major religions such as Christianity, Islam, and Buddhism have an enormous influence on the world.... [tags: Christianity, Islam, God, Buddhism]
1870 words (5.3 pages)
- 1 Islam, Buddhism, Judaism and Christianity Islam is one of the fastest growing religions on the planet. ?Along with Christianity, Buddhism and Judaism, Islam makes us the big four. ?I would like for you to use the resources in this week 's unit to discuss similarities between Islam and the other four religions I mentioned here. ?In your discussion, I want you to highlight major differences and major similarities. You can compare Islam to all three of the others, or just one. In order for the comparison to be made between Islam and any other religion, we first have got to understand what Islam is and where it came from.... [tags: Islam, Middle East, Abraham, Christianity]
713 words (2 pages)
- Buddhism and Christianity are different religions. Both have numerous similarities as well as differences that one might find really interesting to look at in details. These two religions have certain beliefs, values and traditions which are really compatible. On the other hand, some of these values, beliefs and traditional practices are quite contradicting and conflicting. This makes the study of these two religions an inevitable and pleasurable task. Theology historians have raised adequate concerns and issues relating to connections between Buddhism and Christianity.... [tags: Buddhism, Christianity, Jesus, Islam]
896 words (2.6 pages)
- West Africa represent rich platform for numerous indigenous religion across multiples territories and populations for many centuries. However, the influx of popular and organized religions such as Christianity and Islam had modified the overall concept of African primitive spiritually and the interpretation of religion. Even though major religions like Islam and indigenous African religion differs in beliefs system, religions like Odinani of the Igbo people, Dogon and the Maguzawa all have similarities that can be traced back to Islam.... [tags: Religion, Islam, Christianity]
1447 words (4.1 pages)
- Christianity and Buddhism, two of the world’s largest religions, each have primary figures perhaps as big as the religions themselves. Jesus Christ, the primary figure in Catholicism, and Gautama Buddha, the founder and key figure of Buddhism, share many similarities as symbols of their respective religions, but generally have stark differences in their roles for each institution. Followed by billions across the world, the teachings of Jesus and Buddha have a profound global impact, even thousands of years after their lives on earth.... [tags: Christianity, Jesus, Trinity, Buddhism]
1036 words (3 pages)
- While examining and comparing the doctrines and beliefs of both Christianity and Islam, it is important to compare each other’s viewpoint on the gospel, sin, and salvation in order to clearly see the major differences between the two religions. For Christians, salvation is centered on Jesus and his mission, crucifixion, and resurrection. We are told in the Bible that in 2 Timothy 2:10, “Therefore I endure everything for the sake of the elect that they too may obtain the salvation that is in Christ Jesus, with eternal glory.” In other words, the Bible teaches us that Christ is the Son of God and our sinless Redeemer who died and rose again for our sins so that we may have everlasting life wit... [tags: Islam, Christianity, Jesus, New Testament]
1025 words (2.9 pages)
- Heaven can be defined as; “the place where God lives and where good people go after they die according to certain religions,” Hell can be interpreted as the opposite in which is a place where the devil resides and where evil people go after they pass on to the next life. Across various religions these two places are more than just definitions, each culture has a different representation of each. Throughout the world the main organized religions include; Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, and Buddhism.... [tags: Religion, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam]
1007 words (2.9 pages)
- ... The position of Jesus in Christianity, however, is different from that of the one he holds in Islam. An example is that of prophecy. As much as both religions believe in the messengers of God, some are given more importance than others. In Christianity, Jesus is believed to be the son of God, and therefore given more importance than Moses, but in Islam, Jesus is simply another prophet. An important prophet, yes, but not one that was loved more by Allah than Muhammad. In Christianity, it is also believed that Jesus is the light or the way which leads people to the right path.... [tags: belief, teachings, rituals, practices, word]
1238 words (3.5 pages)
- Christianity and Islam Religions are what man or woman makes out of them. The difference between religions and faith are how people perceive it. For instance, religion is defined as a conviction. Anybody can have religion, but it takes faith to establish the religion. Furthermore, some religions started in the 19th century and were closely related to the older religions, such as Buddhism and Hinduism (Fisher). While some people believe in different and numerous gods, many believe in God, such as Christianity and Islam.... [tags: monotheistic religions, similarities, differences]
1787 words (5.1 pages)