So what is the lottery, and what is an addiction, and how do the two go hand in hand? When playing the lottery, you 're taking a strong chance of winning a sum of money from small to large, it comes in different forms from raffles to sweepstakes to ticket sales at your local gas station. An addiction is a feeling of being hooked on something whether it’s a substance or activity like playing the lottery it 's one particular thing you feel you can 't let go of. An addiction can affect family life, friendships, and your financial status. But does that mean that playing the lottery is an official addiction?
The answer to this is yes, and no. If done in moderation, say you received a lottery ticket inside of your birthday card from grandma, and you won one extra free ticket after scratching off the ticket. That does n...
... middle of paper ...
...ioned that the Government isn’t trust worthy when it comes to the lottery, they may actually care about your credit! You can’t buy a ticket online, and 42 out of the 44 states in the Powerball network, forbid online Powerball ticket sales. But here’s the catch, in some states that says by law you can’t buy it with a credit card, get yourself a gift card or debit card and fuel your addiction that way, it all comes down to the retailers’ rules and regulations.
The great credit card debate is a way the government shows they care, because they fear being the cause of your gambling addiction and overspending. If you feel like you or someone you know may have a gambling addiction or fits the description. Get help, there’s a lot of ways out there from hotlines to rehab so it is possible. Everyone wants to be a millionaire, but no one wants to be an addict. Know your limit.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Have you ever felt that if you could have this one thing, then your entire life would turn around. This is the idea Mathilde Loisel in the story “The Necklace” by Guy de Maupassant chased after for her entire life. She desired to be wealthy because she has the notion that because she was beautiful she should be gifted wealth. She was greedy with everything she had, even though she was not poor. Her husband, Monsieur Loisel, gave her everything he could spare to make her happy including the money he been saving up for himself.... [tags: Guy de Maupassant, The Necklace, Poverty]
1059 words (3 pages)
- One of the many clever things that Diaz does in his book is use foils within the characters. He has many characters contrast with one another, which sheds light on both their positive and negative qualities. Many of the foils make you pick a favorite or distinguish between the “good guy” and the “bad guy”. Some of the foils include Yunior and Oscar, La Inca and Belicia, and Belicia and Lola. When it comes to Lola and Beicia foiling one another, they are not really opposites, instead Lola is a lot like her mother despite her hatred towards her.... [tags: Mother, Family, Love, Father]
2124 words (6.1 pages)
- Racism - To Make a Difference Racism is a dark word; it is as black as the night, as black as the soul of those that harbor this hate. Yet, I want to talk about racism - not just in far away places, but here in the United States. Actually, I want everyone to talk about racism. Only by talking about it can we begin the process of overcoming past and present injustices. On my third day in South Africa, while walking down the street with my black female friend, several workers interrupted our conversation by calling out, "Hey, you're white and she's colored." In the United States, while walking down the street with white friends, I've had people stick their heads out of car windows to... [tags: Personal Narrative Essays]
720 words (2.1 pages)
- As we all know, there are many differences between the roles of a manager compared to a leader. The difference between a leader and manager is this, managers find ways to do things right; and leaders believe in doing the right thing. Meaning in a managers eye’s how can we fix it, and a leader thoughts is how can we improve. Let’s begin with what the roles of a manager consist of, managers are responsible for overseeing the production one the employees to which work for them. Managers bring together a team by communicating through training, one on one mentoring, ideas, direction, and encouragement.... [tags: Management, Leadership, Steve Jobs, Thing]
730 words (2.1 pages)
- Even though execution of a life that was partaken in The Lottery by Shirley Jackson and The Necklace by Guy de Maupassant, the two stories that are vastly different from each other. The authors indicates different themes and characters in their story. The story The Lottery starts off with a setting of a town gathering. In the middle of the town square, all the families come together for a black box which is filled of paper for each family head. The one family that is pick has to re-pick a sheet of paper.... [tags: compare and contrast, story themes & characters]
579 words (1.7 pages)
- Identity is simply said to be a person’s own sense of their self, their personal sense of who they are or the image they give out to the rest of the society. Gender, sex and sexuality play a big role in our identity today because it also determines who we really are, not only to ourselves but also to the society. In society today, gender is when a lady acts so feminine or when a man acts manly while sex is either a man or a woman and sexuality is one is attracted to their opposite sex. People mostly judge on how a person looks like and then decide their sex.... [tags: Gender, Transgender, Man, Gender role]
868 words (2.5 pages)
- Movies only scratch the surface of “best friends.” You see the typical girl duo that gossips and shops, completely joined at the hip, never without one another. They trade secrets and inside jokes like playing cars, and their names go hand in hand. That perception isn’t wrong; it’s just not the whole truth. Your best friend should be all that movies say, but it’s so much more complex than that. Have you ever met someone and when you start talking you’re left wondering where they’ve been all your life.... [tags: Love, Interpersonal relationship, Platonic love]
983 words (2.8 pages)
- How to Get What You Really Want Out of Life Vagabond Reflecting "You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help enough other people get what they want." -Zig Ziglar The ultimate end goal of everyone starting self-improvement is to accomplishing their dreams. But to get what you really want out of life you have to, eventually, face your fears. But facing your fears is easier said than done (and this is why many live a life of quiet desperation). Let 's talk about the three ways to change your life, face your fears, and accomplish your dreams (and why you really need just one).... [tags: Need, Want, Miyamoto Musashi, WANT]
1442 words (4.1 pages)
- The Difference Between Men and Women When they say opposites attract, they aren’t kidding. The difference between fondness and loathing of girls and boys are exceptionally vivid and apparent. After watching “The Notebook” for the six hundredth time, with tears streaming down her face, a girl can finally declare it as being her favorite movie, and maybe even deem it as the best production ever created. The cliché motives of the woman always seem to involve love and a knight in shining armor.... [tags: Men Women Compare Contrast Essays]
564 words (1.6 pages)
- Over the past year or so some dreadful events have occurred at high schools, alarming the American public while they have talked about increased security, clinging to images of guns, blood and typical-looking teenagers committing unthinkable crimes. The media has focused on these incidents without giving attention to all of the potential and talent that is flourishing throughout our high schools. I invite them to recognize the inspired pupils who are propelling themselves beyond standard and motivating others around them.... [tags: Graduation Speech, Commencement Address]
654 words (1.9 pages)
- The Importance Of A Nursing Management Lie On Asking The Right Question?
- Does Gender Of The Teacher Affect Behavior Of Children Within Classrooms, From A Teacher 's Perspectives?
- Racial Profiling And African Americans
- Is It A Beast Within Its Self?
- When I 'm Gone?
- Domestic Abuse And Domestic Violence