Dieting, which usually starts out with good intentions, becomes a nasty obsession for many bringing along bad habits along the way. Regardless of these negatives, diets – fad diets in particular – are still very popular “because they promise quick results, are relatively easy to implement, and claim remarkable improvements in how their followers will look or feel” (Freedman par. 1). It can be assumed that most people want the easiest solution that will give them the best results in the shortest amount of time. That’s what a fad diet does: it promotes quick weight loss, doesn’t require any drastic lifestyle changes, and they show examples of the good things that happen to those who use the fad diets. Despite the positivity given off by the idea of a fad diet, they “do not work long-term…[and] there is little value in losing weight if on...
... middle of paper ...
...orie, low-sodium food that is high in vitamin C, beta-carotene, and fiber” (Gourley 1080). Because this diet is about heavy calorie restriction, which does almost always lead to weight loss, important nutrients such as calcium, iron, folic acid, and other vitamins aren’t part of the diet. And while eating fruits and vegetables is healthy, eating such a restricted amount is not healthy.
“In conclusion, fad diets do not result in long-term weight loss, are nutritionally inadequate, and should be avoided. The optimal diet for weight loss is one that reduces overall caloric intake and promotes physical activity. It is a diet high in vegetables, fruits, complex carbohydrates (grains and legumes), and low-fat dairy products. It is associated with fullness and satiety and reduces the risk of chronic disease. It is also convenient and inexpensive to follow” (Freedman par. 5).
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Mirna Luwis ESL 119 11/29/2015 Dieting and Eating Healthy Most of us as human beings like to have a beautiful body but yet, we still want to eat as much as we can.... [tags: Obesity, Weight loss, Nutrition, Health]
976 words (2.8 pages)
- Dieting can be done by anybody whether you are old or young, male or female. There are two different types of dieting. One is healthy and the other one is unhealthy. There are many unhealthy ways to diet but none of them should be used unless one is obese. Yes, they are easy and take less time than healthy dieting but it is not safe. One must take five minutes, at minimum, out of one’s day to do a little bit of exercise. This gives one a break from the normal schedule while giving one a way to relieve stress.... [tags: health, diet, food, weight, pill]
1552 words (4.4 pages)
- Weight Watchers There are many diet programs out today that many individuals utilize to lose weight and get in shape with. Many of those diet programs though don’t actually work in a healthy, safe, and natural way. Even though most of these diet programs do not work, there is one that does, and it’s called Weight Watchers, and it is truly an effective diet program that sets up a plan for you to help regulate your diet and get into shape both easier and faster but also safer. Weight Watchers has developed a healthy and safe diet plan over the past forty years for their dieters that allows them to start seeing results within two weeks of starting their diet plan.... [tags: Nutrition, Dieting, Weight loss, Health]
1813 words (5.2 pages)
- Stages of a Weight Loss Journey By Sandy Reynolds | Submitted On December 09, 2010 Recommend Article Article Comments Print Article Share this article on Facebook Share this article on Twitter Share this article on Google+ Share this article on Linkedin Share this article on StumbleUpon Share this article on Delicious Share this article on Digg Share this article on Reddit Share this article on Pinterest As you begin your efforts to lose weight, you must realize that any successful weight loss endeavor is a continuing journey.... [tags: Obesity, Nutrition, Weight loss, Dieting]
966 words (2.8 pages)
- Healthy Dieting to Lose Weight: Ways to Shed Pounds Fast Are you trying hard to shed those extra pounds fast. Neither the rigorous exercise nor crash diet is going to help you. Our body only accepts slow changes when it comes to changing exercise or food habits. You can’t just presume that your body will instantly get accustomed to the new metabolism you are trying to influence. Today, we are going to talk about our secret to shed weight fast. This healthy dieting to lose weight will not include starvation or any type of rigorous exercises but by taking proper diet that will suit your body and get accustomed to it slowly but easily.... [tags: nutrients, exercise, energy]
597 words (1.7 pages)
- So you gained a few unwanted pounds, or you need to fit into a new dress or shirt, and you don’t have the time to hit the gym and follow a strict meal and fitness plan. Weight gain happens when you eat over 3,500 calories in any amount of time, however, exercise can burn calories off, and you will be in control of your weight. You remember that one magazine on health, or the Google searches you have done on some quick and easy diets, the question is, will they work. And if so, will you gain more weight again as soon as you break off the diet.... [tags: Obesity, Nutrition, Dieting, Weight loss]
1175 words (3.4 pages)
- I chose to research the diet Weight Watchers because I have known a few people that have participated in this program and they have had wonderful outcomes. My mother joined around seven years ago, and within the first few months I could already tell the difference it had made in her life. She was very happy with how her body was starting to look, and loved the diet. She was still able to eat whatever she wanted with the help of the point system, and it was a cheap weight loss program. This program has benefited many others in the same way as my mother.... [tags: Nutrition, Obesity, Dieting, Weight loss]
1434 words (4.1 pages)
- It easier said than done, for instance if we look at the Women’s health Magazine, According to them you can get a flat stomach in 3 weeks; the ultimate weight loss plan. “So you haven 't been religious about your workouts the last few months; we understand. But we also realize that all it takes is one good cram session to change your body. Yes, you 'll have to work hard to do it, but this rapid women 's weight loss plan will flatten and tone you in just 3 weeks. In fact, by combining proper nutrition with an intense — yet thoroughly doable — 21-day exercise program, the average fit woman can lose as many as 15 pounds, says Ronald Deitrick, Ph.D.... [tags: Nutrition, Obesity, Dieting, Weight loss]
733 words (2.1 pages)
- You are driving in your car when suddenly your stomach rumbles. You are hungry. Do you decide to pick up some fast food or go home and spend the time to make yourself a meal. Let us assume we do not have the time to create our own meal. When you get to the restaurant of your choice, do you park in the closest parking spot to the door or do you simply use the drive-through. What do you choose to eat. Is it something processed and frozen or do you choose something made fresh. After eating your food you decide to go to the mall.... [tags: Healthy Lifestyles]
2888 words (8.3 pages)
- Americans, today, face an enormous issue concerning health: eating. People around the world have found a healthy way of eating, but many Americans cannot seem to eat a proper diet. Between the media, the false studies, and the large portion distortion, numerous Americans have a false view on how to eat healthy. Countless people are even willing to take diet pills and supplements just to rid themselves of unwanted weight and to avoid exercise. The solution to being overweight is basic, balanced eating and exercise.... [tags: dieting, healthy eating]
1104 words (3.2 pages)
- Nokia And Nokia 's Strategy
- The Theory Of The Human Psyche
- The Dream As A By Marc Webb 's Film, 500 Days Of Summer And Gavin Degraw 's Song
- A Coherent Sense Of Identity And Multiple Social Masks
- My Visit At My Grandmother Of 75, Mary Patricia Guler
- King Lear By William Shakespeare And A Thousand Acres