When someone says the word dieting most people believe that person is referring to women. Studies show that “body dissatisfaction and dieting behaviors are generally normal among adolescent girls and women.” It was also said “women would be more dissatisfied with their bodies and more likely to participate in both healthy and unhealthy dieting behaviors than men would.” Women do more dieting than men do but “seventy nine percent of men said they have done healthy dieting behavior while thirty six percent said they have done an unhealthy dieting behavior.” This shows that men also participate in dieting behaviors. Dieting should not be thought of as what women do.
Diet is defined as, “a regulated selections of foods, specially designed and prescribed for the medical and/or general nutritional reason.” When most people think of the word diet today they think of the dieting alternatives. There are many dieting alternatives. The most common alternative is dieting pills. Aside from the dieting pills there are fat burning foods, liposuction, starvat...
... middle of paper ...
Larson, Jeffery Peter. "Diets." In The Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine, by Donna Olendorf, 954,957. Farmington Hills: Gale Research, 1999.
Markey, Charlotte N. "Relations Between Body Image and Dieting Behaviors: An Examination of Gender Differences." Sex Roles, October 2005: 519-521, 523,526,528.
Meyer, Michele. "Top 7 Dieting Myths." Better Homes and Gardens, June 2001: 234,236.
Murray, Louann W. "Liposuction." In The Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine, by Donna Olendorf, 1777,1779. Farmington Hills: Gale Research, 1999.
Salter, Charles A. The Nutrition-Fitness Link: How Diet Can Help Your Body and Mind. Brookfield: The Millbrook Press, 1993.
Victor Herbert, M.D., J.D. Total Nutrition: The Only Guide You'll Ever Need. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1995.
WebMD. http://web.md.com/diet/guide/weight-loss-prescription-weight-loss-medicine (accessed December 13, 2013).
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Mirna Luwis ESL 119 11/29/2015 Dieting and Eating Healthy Most of us as human beings like to have a beautiful body but yet, we still want to eat as much as we can.... [tags: Obesity, Weight loss, Nutrition, Health]
976 words (2.8 pages)
- A life time seems to go by so fast, but it’s spent by being involved in our own self appearance. In growing studies the United States leads the world in obesity rates. Non-stop fast food consumption and poor nutrition values contribute making an overall unhealthy diet. Unhealthy dieting does not only consist of eating too many saturated fats but also the use of pill popping and starvation. Even though pill popping and starvation seem like complete opposites, they can have a major affect on the body and mind.... [tags: Nutrition ]
1140 words (3.3 pages)
- Just as a car needs gasoline to make it run, a body needs a healthy intake of food to develop properly. I am sure you or someone you know has been on a diet. The question though is why. Diets are when people restrict the amount of food they consume. There are many different diets out there that are meant for people to reach their weight loss goals. Many overweight or obese individuals use dieting in combination with physical exercise to lose weight. A quick weight loss program might sound good at the time, but it is now time to discover the truth behind dieting.... [tags: Nutrition, Obesity, Weight loss, Health]
994 words (2.8 pages)
- Dieting is used by millions of people all over the world. Most dieting plans are used all over the world because of advertising. People perceive dieting as healthy and an easy way to lose weight. Dieting is a way for someone to lose weight in a long period of time. It works for some people but doesn’t work for others. Everyone has their own opinion on dieting, but there not all right. Dieting is alternating eating habits so people will eat less calories and will lose those unwanted pounds. Dieting is good for an individual when they use it right because it helps them stay at a healthy weight and exercise regularly.... [tags: obesity, eating disorders]
1218 words (3.5 pages)
- Dieting is the practice of restricting oneself to the small amounts of food in order to lose weight. Many people around the world are involved in this practice to lose their weight. Now a question arises, "Dieting is effective or not?" Many people have different views. Some may have find this vital while some are against this practice. According to the various studies ,one third to two thirds of dieters regain more weight than they lost on their diets, and these studies likely underestimate the extent to which dieting is counterproductive because of several methodological problems, all of which bias the studies toward showing successful weight loss maintenance.... [tags: diet, body fat, hunger, lose weight]
1020 words (2.9 pages)
- According to statistics, 51% of 9 and 10 year-old girls feel better about themselves if they are on a diet, 46% of 9-11 year-olds are ‘sometimes’ or ‘very often’ on diets, and 82% of their families are ‘sometimes’ or ‘very often’ on diets. In addition, more than half of teenaged girls are, or think they should be, on diets. About three percent of these teens go too far, then becoming anorexic or bulimic. Dieting can come about because of the want to be skinny, and many choose to avoid food or skip meals.... [tags: weight, starving, anorexia]
803 words (2.3 pages)
- Children that live an unhealthy lifestyle are more prone to becoming obese later in life. Furthermore, the cause of children becoming more obese includes; children that do not participate in physical activity, children that eat lots of snacks, play video games or watch TV, and that do not eat a healthy balanced meal. In addition, the parent or guardian of the child also plays a role in whether the child becomes obese or not by “What” they offer the child to eat, and the type of environment the food is served in such as “When” and “Where” food is offered.... [tags: Nutrition, Obesity, Dieting, Body mass index]
804 words (2.3 pages)
- If you're entertaining the idea of eating 1000 calories a day, there are things to explore. Suppose, just for the moment, you are playing cards blindfolded. All kinds of things could happen. Your opponents could remove the good cards from the deck. When it came your turn to play, you could not see the cards. If you were playing for money, chances are, you'd go broke. How does a playing card scenario explain the 1000 calories a day plan. To subject your body to consuming this stingy amount of calories, you must eliminate many fuel foods (good cards).... [tags: Consequences, Physical Transformation]
897 words (2.6 pages)
- Teen lifestyles have rehabilitated drastically over the last 20 years, and many unhealthy habits have formed for teens as a result. Most fast food places have disproportionate calories in each meal. Fast food and periods of long inactivity are to blame for over weigh problems (Driscoll, UCLA newsroom). Most teens use fast food as a quick way for meals that are completely full fat. (Driscoll, UCLA newsroom) Most fast food places have excessive calories in each meal that can be treacherous to health.(Driscoll UCLA newsroom) Some fast food meals have more calories than the recommended in one day.... [tags: Health ]
1310 words (3.7 pages)
- Americans, today, face an enormous issue concerning health: eating. People around the world have found a healthy way of eating, but many Americans cannot seem to eat a proper diet. Between the media, the false studies, and the large portion distortion, numerous Americans have a false view on how to eat healthy. Countless people are even willing to take diet pills and supplements just to rid themselves of unwanted weight and to avoid exercise. The solution to being overweight is basic, balanced eating and exercise.... [tags: dieting, healthy eating]
1104 words (3.2 pages)