How does losing weight work? It’s when your body burns more calories than its taking in, and using the excess fat to fuel the body (howstuffworks.com). Losing weight should not be something that happens over night, instead it should be a process taken one day at a time. To effectively keep the weight off it takes hard work and dedication, no short cuts. A lot of times people try to take the easy way out by taking supplements or doing meal plans for a few weeks, or months. These options might work temporarily, but your body needs something permanent. If one simply eats healthy and exercises daily they will lose weight and keep it off.
Taking dietary pills are one of the worst ways to lose weight, not only if someone expects long term results, but also all the healths risks and dangerous effects that come along with it are not worth it. According to the article The Nasty Truth about Diet Pills by Gleaner Staff, there were thirteen reports of liver failure due to diet pills in 2009. Most of the people needed an immediate liver transplant, however a few died (par. 4). The Federal Food, Cosmetics, and Drug Act, also known as the FDA do not approve of dietary supplements which should show people how unsafe they really are. “We’ve also found weight-loss products marketed as supplements that contain dangerous concoctions of hidden ingredients including active ingredients contained in approved seizure medications, blood pressure medications, and antidepressants,” stated by Jason Humbert, a manager at FDA (Beware of Products Promising Weight Loss in par. 5). Dietary pills for weight loss do a lot more harm than good, and if the FDA doesn’t approve of them, then they shouldn 't be entering the body. In addition to diet pills, weight los...
... middle of paper ...
...two proper ways to lose weight effectively, I interviewed Alex Rufer who says, “I did weight watchers for 5 months, lost weight and kept it off by eating healthy without the meal plan.” Pre prepared meal plans can work, if they are done the right way. As you can see, Alex was able to use a meal plan and learn portion size, which is a huge favor to weight lose. Alex also said, “After the 5 months, I realized it’s about what you eat, so I maintained my calorie intake and kept track of what I was eating.”
Considering the hazardous effects of diet pills and the expense and inconvenience of meal plans, even though they could work, if done right, exercising daily and eating healthier is the only way to see guaranteed weight loss results. Walking your dog and starting your day with a healthy breakfast is a start for anyone who wants to accomplish their weight loss goals.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Dexfenfluramine (REDUX) - The Dark Side of Diet Pills One of the biggest goals Americans today set for themselves is to lose weight. It is a quest which many seek out and never reach. The twentieth century has brought about many changes in the world, but it has also brought about many self image problems. With waif-thin models walking the runway, and anorexic fourteen year olds as our role models it is not a wonder. Many young and older women are feeling threatened to fit this particular image.... [tags: Diet Pills Dexfenfluramine Essays]
1307 words (3.7 pages)
- Face it, we have all heard the phrase,"You are what you eat" countless times in your life, but what does that truly mean. Every few months or years, millions go into trying new diets and diet pills but fail to understand why they cannot continue to eat healthy after their first few days on their new diet. Well, 1) the word "DIE" is in diet 2) no matter where you look you 're going to find delicious food ads and junk food and 3) you don 't have support. Diets should be seen as a lifestyle and not just a diet.... [tags: Nutrition, Food, Eating, Junk food]
833 words (2.4 pages)
- Dr. Oz made headlines, featuring the ingredients in diet pills and the safety. Ingredients such as plant-based- green tea extract, bitter orange, raspberry ketones. The question seems rather uneasy to answer since diet pills are considered “natural”, which may contain chemicals too. Diet pills have existed for decades meaning, these products on the market have been a success. Kari Skitka, a 24 year old marketing associate in New York City, says she takes raspberry ketone pills to increase her appetite and to help boost her workouts.... [tags: Obesity, Nutrition, Weight loss, Physical exercise]
1173 words (3.4 pages)
- Every day people are becoming more and more concerned with their health and their appearance. Thanks to scientific research there are many remedies to improve the human body. As far as weight loss there is exercise, diets, pills, and different surgical procedures. Diet pills have become a very popular supplement to assist in weight loss, but with diet pills come many questions; are they safe, do they really work, and mainly if they are a good product or not. In order to know whether or not something a quality product, is to know how it works.... [tags: Diet Health Weight Loss Drugs Essays Papers]
1195 words (3.4 pages)
- Science and technology have revolutionized the lifestyle of man. The modern man is submerged by a world of hectic life. Everything is done very fast due to time constrain which unconsciously affected our health and fitness. On top of that, excessive workloads have reduced our time for exercises and health maintenance. Besides all these modern life’s things, millions of Americans claim that winter is the most common season for people to gain weight as the cold weather discourages outside exercise (Richards 2008).... [tags: Health, Appetite Control]
1013 words (2.9 pages)
- “Deadly Diet Pills” Even though, diet pills could be used for anyone who is trying to lose weight, they are bad for you because if diet pills are not used properly, they could be deadly and diet pills are not meant for people who just want to lose weight for fun. Diet pills are supplements that were created to reduce unhealthy and unsafe fat on your body. Most people who are NOT prescribed dietary supplements intend to get addicted. What people do not understand is that if you consume diet pills, you will lose weight for the time being but it’s not long lasting.... [tags: Obesity, Weight loss, Anti-obesity medication]
1824 words (5.2 pages)
- ... Or maybe, you don’t have much self confidence so you try and get the approval of others. Obesity is an rampant issue that spreads to you teens. You see all these foods that look really delicious, with the perfectly cooked meat, and the amazingly crunchy, seasoned french fries that are shown in the media. The media causes you to eat unhealthy, and then turn to a fast and unreliable way of solving the issue. Michelle Obama says, “It's not enough just to limit ads for foods that aren't healthy.... [tags: teens, dangerous diet]
702 words (2 pages)
- What's Happening Around You Today?. In today's materialistic driven society, people are judged in every possible aspect. From their appearance, background, social status, way or thinking to their friends, families. The need to be accepted and admired by others captivates the minds of many men and women of today. This conquest for social acceptance becomes so real that the idea then becomes an obsession. The way we look plays a big role in our lives. It determines the way others see us and from that, it will then determine how we feel about ourselves.... [tags: essays research papers]
1009 words (2.9 pages)
- Below is part of the sample persuasive research essay. Please note: • how the introduction introduces the topic and offers a clear forecast of the essay's thesis (the author's position and stated reasons) • how the conclusion restates the thesis and ends with a call to action • how each character’s speech is fully developed: each speech has the three "E"s of paragraph organization and development: Exposition, Examples, and Explanation. To illustrate these components, in the paragraph below I've placed the exposition (claim and stated reason and background) in blue, the examples in green, the explanation in purple, and the concluding statement in orange.... [tags: Persuasive Research Essays]
963 words (2.8 pages)
- The Use of Diet Pills among Adolescent Girls Dieting is a common occurrence in our country, but dieting is most common among adolescent girls. Since millions of Americans try to lose weight every year, many of them turn to weight-loss pills for help (MFMER 2004). Dieting may place the risk of using unhealthy weight control behaviors such as diet pills (Eisenberg, Neumark-Sztainer, Story, & Perry 2004). A study by the CDC showed that 10.9 percent of adolescent girls use diet pills as their weight-loss strategy (Eisenberg, Neumark-Sztainer, Story, & Perry 2004).... [tags: essays research papers]
1809 words (5.2 pages)