South Beach Diet
ii. Briefly describe the premise of the diet--what food items are included or removed on the diet, how would a person lose weight following the diet, and how long does it take to lose weight on the diet.
This diet like many others is broken up into three phases. The first phase is the most limiting. As an individual progresses with this diet they will be able to eat more and more foods. For example, the first phase of the diet there is no consumption of: any fruit product, whole-wheat products, foods with added sugar, alcohol, and any food that is high in starch. The foods that are allowed during this first phase are: lean proteins, vegetables, beans, eggs, low fat diary, and 2 tablespoons of good fats. Good fats include any type of nuts and unsaturated fats. These fats include any oil like canola oil and olive oil.1
This diet is also divided into 3 phases. The first phase is where the weight loss is supposed to happen. For example, the first phase is two weeks long and a person participating in this diet can lose up to 13 pounds during these two weeks. A person can lose weight during this diet because it cuts out all wheat products, even whole-wheat products. Cutting out any type of wheat will reduce the calories that a person consumes. Also this diet cuts out any other added sugars. This reduction of added sugar allows a person to not consume as many calories and fat.
iii. Compare and contrast the components of the diet with the principles of a successful weight management program that are summarized below.
a. Purpose: Improve Overall Health
a. This diet is trying to improve someone’s overall health. It also relates to the principles discussed in class because it emphasi...
... middle of paper ...
... stay below the RDA for sodium, and after the first phase will reach the amount of fat needed and not surpass it. Also, someone following this diet will get the amount of fiber, calcium, Vitamin B-12 and Vitamin D that the dietary guidelines recommend.2 So my overall thoughts are that this diet can be good to follow, but someone following these guidelines needs to add more carbs and fruit to the diet. This will allow them to have more energy and help sustain their blood pressure. If they are not willing to do this because they fear it will hinder their weight loss, then I wouldn’t suggest following this diet.
1"South Beach Diet." U.S. News Health. News & World Report, 2015. Web. 14 Nov. 2015. .
2Mayo Clinic Staff. "South Beach Diet." Healthy Lifestyle Weight Loss. Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, 2015. Web. 14 Nov. 2015. .
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- History of South Beach Diet The South Beach Diet is a diet plan designed by cardiologist Arthur Agatston and dietician Marie Almon. In 1995, Dr. Agatston developed a diet to prevent heart disease for his cardiac and diabetes patients. According to the South Beach Diet website, Agatstaion knew that a low-fat diet would reduce cholesterol and prevent heart disease, but patients had a hard time sticking to the diet. Agatson wanted to find out the reason why his patients had a hard time sticking to the low-fat diet.... [tags: Health, Diet]
1531 words (4.4 pages)
- Types of Diets Dieting is one thing that most people find themselves doing at some point in their lives. Whether it is excessive exercise, limited calorie intake, or a combination of both, it can be a struggle to lose weight. Today, there are hundreds of types of diets that Americans are trying. There are some that have superior outcomes compared to many others that can have no effect on you. With an estimated number of 45 million Americans dieting every year, they are spending almost $33 billion each year on weight loss products.... [tags: Nutrition, Dieting, Obesity, Diets]
717 words (2 pages)
- Health Benefits of the South Beach Diet By promoting only healthy foods and in limited amounts, the South Beach diet proves to be an effective and safe path to weight loss. South Beach permits foods which are high in fiber and low in saturated fat such as whole grain rice, salmon and nuts. The diet does not exclude any particular class of food, fats or carbohydrates for example, but insists that foods high in cholesterol, such as bacon, be avoided. Yet, this is not the only restriction of the diet.... [tags: Health Nutrition Diet Exercise Essays]
815 words (2.3 pages)
- South Beach Diet Fanatics Experts say many people are dieting because of the government's recent warnings about the U.S. obesity epidemic. About 64 percent of Americans are overweight or obese. Yet helping people control their weight is a tricky issue. "It's a balancing act, because on the one hand, clearly we have concerns that more and more teenagers are becoming obese," said David Sarwer, associate professor of psychology and director of education at the Weight and Eating Disorders Program at the University of Pennsylvania.... [tags: essays research papers fc]
1837 words (5.2 pages)
- Atkins and South Beach Diet Approaches The Atkins and the South Beach diets offer different approaches to reducing insulin response levels. Both diets emphasize low carbohydrate consumption in order to avoid a high insulin response, which is thought to increase cholestrol levels and inhibit the body's ability to break down fats. Instead, the Atkins and South Beach diets attempt to achieve a lower and theoretically healthier insulin response by restricting carbohydrate consumption in different manners.... [tags: Comparison Compare Contrast Essays]
1169 words (3.3 pages)
- Comparing the South Beach Diet and Food Pyramid Recommendations Recently, new ideas for diet and weight loss, such as the South Beach low carbohydrate diet, have been replacing the previously chosen ideas, particularly, the Food Pyramid. Both eating patterns recommend consuming larger quantities of some food groups than others, although which groups varies between the diets. The former emphasis on diet and exercise is also beginning to shift with the new diet choices. In previous years to lose weight a person was told to eat “healthier”, lower caloric intake, and exercise more.... [tags: Health Nutrition Diet Exercise Essays]
435 words (1.2 pages)
- South Beach Diet: The Healthy Low Carb Alternative The South Beach Diet is a healthy alternative for promoting a healthy heart and lifestyle and for losing weight. Though often referred to as a low carbohydrate diet, South Beach does not endorse eating the unlimited fats and proteins that have become a signature criticism of the low carb diets. Instead, the diet was created with the intention of improving people’s cardiovascular health while also helping them to lose weight. The general concerns voiced about low carbohydrate diets do not apply to the South Beach Diet.... [tags: Health Nutrition Diet Exercise Essays]
880 words (2.5 pages)
- The Structural Differences of Atkins and South Beach Diets The Atkins Diet and the South Beach Diet are both regimens that promote weight loss by increasing the intake of proteins while reducing the consumption of carbohydrates. While often grouped together under the “low-carb fad diet” label, these two diets are comparable in design, but contrasting in detail, in particular during phase one. At first glance, these diets appear to be structured alike. Both diets begin with an induction phase that lasts for at least two weeks in which every meal consists of protein rich foods (such as eggs for breakfast, chicken salad for lunch, and steak for dinner), a lot of vegetables and salads, and... [tags: Health Nutrition Diet Exercise Essays]
921 words (2.6 pages)
- Comparing and Contrasting the Atkins and South Beach Diets The weight loss industry is a multi-billion dollar machine, perpetually fueled by not only new information, but also data that have remained true for decades. Although it is unsurprising that the human body will lose weight when it expends more calories than it consumes, new findings lead to several alternative diets and weight loss methods that gain much more popularity than the basic concept of eating less and exercising more. For several decades, the Mayo Clinic diet, which was never actually invented or been approved by the true Mayo Clinic, has been used by dieters as a way to quickly lose body fat.... [tags: Comparison Compare Contrast Essays]
1093 words (3.1 pages)
- Comparing the Operations of the Atkins and South Beach Diets In today’s society, an ongoing trend of diets have played a major impact in the nutritional and dieting markets such as the Atkins and South Beach. Both diets may be considered similar since they were both designed and intended for dieters to produce similar results of dramatic rapid weight loss within stages. Though the end result may be similar, the method of achieving the weight loss differs in many aspects. Both the Atkins and South Beach diets, varies in the choice of foods consumed by the dieter and the step by step process on how the diet operates.... [tags: Exploratory Essays Research Papers]
1251 words (3.6 pages)
- Communist Government Faced Severe Economic And Political Challenges
- Reading Comprehension : Literature And Literature
- Symbolism And Mass Consumption On The American Society
- Computerized Promoting Counsel Invest A Lot Of Time Covering The Accurate Tips And Systems That Are
- Prisons : The Terrible Conditions And Poor Medical Supervision
- The Problem Of Transnational Criminal Networks