Dharmapuri is a small town located in the Karimnagar district of Telangana, 60 km away from the district headquarters. It is mostly famous for Sri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy Temple which is situated on the southern banks of Godavari which flows through the town. The most interesting fact of Dharmapuri is that the Godavari river flows from north to south direction unlike west to east in all other places where it flows and hence the river is termed here as Dakshina Vahini. This town is also one of the nine Narasimha Kshetrams. Due to presence of many temples in the area, it is also known as ‘Teertharajamu’. The town was ruled by King Dharma Varma and thus the name of the town was named after him as Dharmapuri.
HISTORY OF THE TEMPLE
It is believed that the temple was built between 928-850 BC. This ancient temple has two versions of temple owing to the devastation it has witnessed over different period of time. The older one is called as the Pata Narasimha Swamy Temple and the newer one is known as the Kottha Narasimha Swamy Temple. In the 14th and 15th century, the next phase of anti-Hinduism started under Aurangzeb after the fall of Bahamanis and Qutub Shahis. Rustumdil Khan, the Subedar of Hyderabad converted this temple into a mosque with the help of the then Sultan of Delhi, Aurangzeb. However, in 1448 AD, a new temple near the mosque was reconstructed and hence this temple came to be called as Pata Narasimha Swamy Temple. In 1725 AD, an icon of Lord Narasimha was found in close vicinity of the Dharampuri village and hence, the temple was again rebuilt there.
CONSTRUCTION OF THE TEMPLE
Pata Narasimha Swamy Temple has two main entrances or Simha Dwarams. Out of the two, Pedda Gopuram is the main entrance ...
... middle of paper ...
...ns open for public from 5AM to 2PM and 4PM to 8PM every day. Temple remains closed between 2PM to 4PM.
For more details about the temple, visit www.srilakshminarasimha.org .
Hyderabad Airport is the nearest one, 280 km away and is well connected to all the major cities of India and abroad. Other airports close to Dharmapuri are Nagpur Airport (330 km) and Vijayawada Airport (390 km).
The nearest railway station is Mancherial, which is just 40 km away from the temple. It is located on the New Delhi- Chennai route and is well connected to all the major cities of India.
APSRTC and various private travels operate regular buses that ply to Dharmapuri from all the major cities of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh. The best way to reach temple in less time is by your own means of transportation like car or private taxis.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The dichotomy that India faces today, having one of the most extensive network of social schemes in all sectors- healthcare, agriculture, nutrition, education , and yet continually being confronted with the worst and lowest human development indices, formed a nagging worrying thought which perhaps motivated the author, Sumita Dawra to write "Poor but spirited in Karimnagar". Karimnagar is a district in Telangana Region in Andhra Pradesh and is also ranked 250 in the list of "most backward districts in India".... [tags: Karimnagar, India]
1386 words (4 pages)
- Part 1: School and District Background Information The Conval School District became what it is today in 1988 (Appendix E). Conval has gone through a number of changes throughout the years. The region started with each town having individual schools representing kindergarten through high school. In approximately 1971 members of the Antrim school board explored whether to combine Antrim with the neighboring Hillsborough-Deering School District or the Peterborough School District. Members of the Antrim school board favored the Peterborough School district and eventually voted unanimously to consolidate with Peterborough.... [tags: High school, College, School district, School]
1173 words (3.4 pages)
- The Evolution of the Temple-Palaces in Mesopotamia The constructions of the temple-palace had large scale implications for the Mesopotamian landscape. It served as a symbolic entity for the city and towns that it was located in due to the tremendous height of these buildings that served as beacons that loomed over villages. These temples were perceived by many individuals who resided in these villages as homes for the deities. A wide cross section of villagers from various social backgrounds belonged to a particular temple in which they would worship.... [tags: archiologists, temple, dynasty]
2263 words (6.5 pages)
- Since the beginning of the religion, Judaism has seen major shifts in both the location and practices of worship. In ancient Jerusalem, the Temple on the Mount was the center of Jewish worship and home to prayer, offerings, and animal sacrifices (Rich). According to Jewish belief, this temple was built by King Solomon with the purpose of housing the Ark of the Covenant, a gold-covered chest which held the two stone tablets bearing the original Ten Commandments. This first temple was destroyed by the Babylonians in 586 BCE, and the Ark of the Covenants whereabouts are still unknown to this day.... [tags: Judaism, Torah, Temple in Jerusalem, Jerusalem]
711 words (2 pages)
- Autism, it is considered a death sentence when one is diagnosed with it. However, one woman overcame all odds and changed the world. Despite her autism, Temple Grandin became a well-known and well-loved book writer, helping thousands of people with autism. Temple Grandin was born in Boston, Massachusetts. Her mother's name was Eustacia, but her father is rarely ever mentioned. Eustacia noticed that Temple was a different kind of child. She had said nothing, she did not like being hugged or touched, and she did not play like other kids played.... [tags: temple gardin, autism, autisitc people]
1131 words (3.2 pages)
- I was born into a family with set beliefs on Catholicism. I attended mass from a young age, was baptized in the Catholic Church and was taught the many beliefs of Catholicism. Some of the few beliefs I was taught include The Holy Trinity, teachings of the bible, and the Ten Commandments. For the Site Field Visit assignment, the class was instructed to visit a temple, church, or worship facility that must be outside of our religious background. For my Site Field Visit assignment, I decided to visit the Wat Buddharangsi Buddhist Temple located in Miami.... [tags: religion, buddhiste temple, siddharta]
1244 words (3.6 pages)
- ZHUOJUN LIU ENG-W350 NOV/29/2015 What is the metaphor of “District 9” The movie “District 9” was filmed in South Africa. In 1981, a spaceship unexpected accident to be a kay element to change the earth and mankind’s fate of further. Subsequently, bizarre aliens came to Earth, the Earth has been officially proclaimed as a universe of life itself unique day completely finished. Human have no idea aliens came to earth with what kind of purpose, human has a negative attitude for the arrived of aliens, and let them feel deeply fear.... [tags: South Africa, Racial segregation, District 9]
1601 words (4.6 pages)
- In the case of Mountain School District, there is a clear hierarchical structure in place. Curriculum and reporting guidelines are established externally through the Ministry of Education. However, it is up to local school districts to develop a program that meets both these guidelines and the needs of the community. The school district operates schools under its umbrella and works with parent stakeholders to receive feedback. At the school level, School A has an administrator who manages daily operations including the teaching staff.... [tags: High school, Teacher, Staff, School district]
1953 words (5.6 pages)
- Views of Heaven in From the Fifteenth District Mavis Gallant presents us with a disconcerting view of death in the short story "From the Fifteenth District," where dying is not a salvation from the pains of life but where the dead are forced to suffer eternally. In this story, the author sets out three distinct cases of 'haunting,' except that these hauntings are reported by the dead about the living. Major E. Travella, killed during World War I, is angry that he is being exploited by the church and the public.... [tags: Fifteenth District]
955 words (2.7 pages)
- Shirley Temple: Origins of the Optimistic Image Shirley Temple. When the name is uttered an image of the dimpled faced, curly haired, tap dancing four year old from the 1930s automatically appears in everyone's mind. She was the child actress of the depression era, winning over the hearts and pocket books of many. Films, dolls and even a drink named after her, her face and name were ones that couldn't be missed. She was Fox's gem and saviour. She was an escape from the hard life. She was a star.... [tags: Shirley Temple Image Essays]
3132 words (8.9 pages)