Here in America, having the privilege to go to the doctors even when you are not ill is taken for granted. While you’ve been comfortably impatient waiting in a doctors office, have you ever taken the time to think about the millions of people around the world who die merely because they do not have the medicine, the care, and the knowledge to even help themselves prevent these easily preventable diseases and illnesses. Every sixty seconds, malaria claims life of another precious child. Maybe this is news to you or maybe this is your opportunity to let this problem resonate, while taking into account the health issues others around the world face on a daily basis. The prevalence of major diseases, such as malaria, occurring in developing countries is why charitable organizations take a preventive and proactive role in funding and finding ways to cure and diminish these rising issues.
When the issue of malaria is brought up, the initial thought is probably along the lines of, it’s a disease that mosquitos spread when they bite. Yes, it is a disease that is contracted from mosquito bites, but there is much more to it than that. This is no bee sting or fire ant bite that goes away. “Malaria is a disease of the blood that is caused by the Plasmodium parasite, which is transmitted from person to person by a particular type of mosquito”(Malaria No More). Over a hundred species of malaria parasites exist, of those; Plasmodium falcriparum is the most deadly and most common in Africa. The Plasmodium parasite is a blood parasite and any disease that is in the blood can become very dangerous, very quickly without taking the proper precaution and treatment. The only mosquito that has the ability to transmit this disease is the infected ...
... middle of paper ...
..., and education of communities on how to use them.
Alemu, Abebe, Yitayal Shiferaw, Zelalem Addis, Biniam Mathewos, and Wubet Birhan. "Effect of Malaria on HIV/AIDS Transmission and Progression." Parasites & Vectors 6.1 (2013): 1-8. Academic Search Complete. Web. 17 Feb. 2014.
Haroon, Hussain, et al. “Hide And Seek: Hematological Aspects of Malaria – A Developing Country Perspective.” Journal Of Infection In Developing Countries 7.3 (2013): 273-9. Academic Search Complete. Web. 17 Feb. 2014.
Richter, Linda M., Knut Lonnroth, Chris Desmond, Robin Jackson, Ernesto Jaramil. "Economic Support To Patients In HIV And TB Grants In Rounds 7 And 10 From The Global Fund To Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis And Malaria." Plos ONE 9.1 (2014): 1-9. Academic Search Complete. Web. 23 Feb. 2014.
"What Is Malaria?" Malaria No More. N.p., 2014. Web. 19 Feb. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... Under the ACA, additional requirements were established for hospitals to be qualified as tax-exempt including conducting a community health needs assessment at least every 3 years and develop an implementation strategy to address the needs identified by the assessment, adopting and publicizing a written financial assistance policy, and limiting charges, billing, and debt collection practices directed to individuals who qualify for financial assistance. (The Hilltop Institute, 2013b) While the IRS defines what constitutes community benefit, there is no standard definition as to a minimum value of community benefit a hospital must provide to qualify for tax-exempt status.... [tags: government, revenue, nonprofit, financial]
1656 words (4.7 pages)
- Most likely, they have other way of campaigning for donations for the victims of typhoon Yolanda, you’ll encounter people wearing T – shirts with the heart – shaped drawing and with the words “GMA Kapuso Foundation”, on the other hand, ABS – CBN shirt is printed with “Tulong na, Tabang na” Buying these shirts will give benefit to the said victims. ABS – CBN Sagip Kapamilya Foundation has made a promise to do redevelopment with the Pasig River. Along with this, the foundation is also committed into preservation and redevelopment programs.... [tags: Donations, Regulations]
616 words (1.8 pages)
- The Oakville-Milton Humane Society is a non-profit charitable organization dedicated to providing shelter for stray, abandon, and injured animals. Located in the region of Halton, the Oakville-Milton Humane Society has become the most recognized and affective humane society within the region. It was founded in 1936 and has since grown and developed a reliable relationship with members of the community. The shelter is funded through donations and sponsorships from members and corporations within the community.... [tags: organizational analysis]
1658 words (4.7 pages)
- Professional Organisations Having an understanding of professional organisations can help a manager effectively manage dire situations or reactions from staff. As Shell (2003) explained professionals are a different group of people, they are experts in their own field giving them expert power and therefore must be managed differently. Professionals are highly autonomous therefore they expect a high degree of control and the freedom to exercise their independent professional judgements. They act to serve their own primary interest, and not necessary the organisation’s.... [tags: Management, Organization, Organizational studies]
880 words (2.5 pages)
- Maslow’s hierarchy of needs As discussed in (Montana and Charnov, 2008, pp.238-239), human beings have various needs, which are grouped into a number levels that is the hierarchy of needs. Chiefly, this theory applies well for creative people, who oftentimes utilize their talents as well as capabilities and potentials. As pointed out in (Messmer 2011, pp.5-12), Maslow’s theory on hierarchy of needs is imperative in comprehending human motivation and related human behaviours. Specifically, each individual working in an organisation is motivated by different needs.... [tags: Hierarchy of Needs, Human Nature]
1599 words (4.6 pages)
- Gerard Clarke and Michael Jennings (2008: 6) define FBO as “any organization that derives inspiration and guidance for its activities from the teachings and principles of the faith or from a particular interpretation or school of thought within the faith” . In short basically FBOs are directly indirectly religiously tied organisations. FBOs also differ in terms of the kind of approach they have towards development and the ways in which they view what people need in order to live a dignified life.... [tags: Non Governmental Organisations]
2917 words (8.3 pages)
- Organizational Development Organizational Development changes the character or "culture" of an organization and improves the organizations performance. Change in an organizational development program is planned and deliberate, not random. Successful change in organizations happens with a specific purpose and requires experienced leadership. The organizational development process involves a collaborative relationship between a consultant and a client, it is important to build a relationship of trust and create a climate for change.... [tags: Management, Organization, Problem solving]
700 words (2 pages)
- Purpose The American Fondouk (Fez, Morocco) is a charitable equine hospital that provides veterinary care to working animals. The director of the American Fondouk, Dr. Gigi Kay, has noticed that donkey and mule patients frequenting the hospital are expressing clinical signs of Dictyocaulus arnfieldi infection when, traditionally, this lung parasite is associated with overt clinical signs in horses only. Because decreased productivity from parasitic disease in working animals has detrimental economic implications for their impoverished owners, being able to concretely correlate clinical signs of D.... [tags: dictyocaulus arnfieldi infection, animals]
1545 words (4.4 pages)
- In today’s society it is not always what you know, but who you know. It is never a bad idea to join a professional organization and or association. The key is to find the right one for you and your needs. According to ask.com, “A professional organization is formed to disseminate information and unite people who share the same occupation or common interests.” Professional Organizations can also be classified as any social arrangement that has the same aims, aspirations, and goals. A professional organization on the other hand, is usually a non-profit group that helps further awareness and goals of a specific profession according to dpi.state.nc.us.... [tags: Professional Organizations]
1069 words (3.1 pages)
- Car, van, truck, boat, trailer and aircraft donations help to support non-profit charities that provide funding for research, outreach programs, disaster relief, and numerous other humanitarian efforts. In addition to supplying food vouchers for needy people and receiving hotel vouchers, vacation vouchers and other gifts, your car donation might qualify as a tax deduction. Select a Charity Call the charity to which you want to donate your car. Most charities, like the American Red Cross and the American Diabetes Association, have websites that offer all the information you need to start to donation process.... [tags: Charities ]
508 words (1.5 pages)