Essay PreviewMore ↓
One of the first things you must do before being able to join a chat room is create a screen name. This is a process I think is really fun. There are billions of names you can choose; although you quite annoying when you finally pick a name only to find out that some one else has already picked that name. I have always found screen names interesting because I think they give you an inside look to the people you can not see. If you meet some one for the first time it might appeal to you to talk to them because you like their screen name.
When I went online after picking my screen name, I then had an even harder task. Now I had to decide on which room I wanted to go into. It did not take me long to figure out that the regular chat rooms offered were not that interesting; at least not to me. I then went to the section of chat rooms that are made by people themselves. There are millions of categories. I think that there is a category out there for everyone.
One thing that I did find weird was that if you went into a certain category once you got inside there was usually no one talking about that subject. What I did figure out was that even though people might not be talking about the subject they all usually have similar interest. So usually you can get along with them because you will know that they like at least one thing you do too.
How to Cite this Page
"The Details of Chat Rooms and Online Communities." 123HelpMe.com. 18 Feb 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- A Brief History of Courtship "Courtship takes many forms, depending mainly on the point in history and the culture in which it exists" (Cate, 1992) Many popular love songs claim that being in love is similar to being under a magical spell. Some state that "all you need is love," and still others affirm that "love lifts us up where we belong." People dream about finding their one and only soul mate, and in this day and age, the pursuit for love and happiness is closer to home than ever before......in fact, it's only a mouse-click away.... [tags: Internet Date Singles]
2917 words (8.3 pages)
- A change has occurred regarding the increase of online predators. The internet has been one of the most important technological advancements this century. The internet has allowed people from all over the world to communicate with family, friends, and strangers. But it has also caused major concern. With everyone communicating through online forums, social networks, and chat rooms, it is impossible to figure out who the people are talking to. With the internet, people are able to live multiple lives.... [tags: online forums, social networks, and chat rooms]
1051 words (3 pages)
- Having been studying in the United States for a while, I have seen some universities offer online programs that allow students to access learning materials at their own convenience. I find this quite interesting, since there are no such programs in my country. What concerns me is the fact that one needs to go aboard in order to gain high quality education. From my own experience, gaining education in the United States can be very costly. Not only does one have to consider tuition fees, but also the cost of living.... [tags: tuition, scholarship, online]
1325 words (3.8 pages)
- Sex Addicts Find Each Other Online To her friends and family, Mary Smith* is a young, hard-working psychology student who never seems to have time for fun. What they don't know is that Mary is a sex addict. Recently, her boyfriend of three months discovered her secret. After they broke up, Mary took her addiction one step further and started experimenting with strangers and bondage, spanking and rape fantasies using the Internet. Mary uses the Internet as her tool to find sex partners. Mary spends most of her time on the Internet exploring erotic Web sites.... [tags: Journalism Essays]
1394 words (4 pages)
- Online Communities - Chat Rooms and Discussion Boards To those who have never experienced an online community they may seem pointless, a waste of time or simply childish. However, for those that have expanded beyond the traditional means of communication such as, talking on the telephone or conversing face-to-face, online communities offer a new and exciting means of communication. They offer a chance to meet others, gain advice, voice an opinion, defend an argument, or to simply relax and have a little fun.... [tags: Internet Cyberspace Essays]
1338 words (3.8 pages)
The Pros and Cons of Three Types of Online Communities- Chat Rooms, Social Network Sites, and Online Classrooms
- An online community is a network of people who come together and communicate online, usually because of a common interest or goal. There are many different types of online communities. Some examples of online communities are: email distribution lists, message boards and newsgroups, instant message (IM) services, chat rooms, blogging sites, social networking sites such as MySpace and Facebook, and online classrooms/school groups. I intend to discuss three of these types of online communities – chat rooms, social network sites, and online classrooms/school groups – and look into the pros and cons of using each of these.... [tags: internet, technology]
1466 words (4.2 pages)
- Chat rooms in today’s society can be a good and bad thing. First off what is a chat room. A chat room to me is a place where you can go and talk to people about different things. They have them from preteens up to adults. It is very easy to get into the rooms no matter what age you are. There is no real way for anyone to check if you are of age when using a computer. This makes it simple for me or anyone to get caught up in something that I shouldn’t be doing. To get connected to a chat room all you have to do is going to yahoo and click on chat.... [tags: Pro Con Essays]
952 words (2.7 pages)
- The Pros and Cons of Internet Chat Rooms Computers have affected our lives in so many ways. To the way we finance things, to the way we find our future significant other. The outcomes of computers probably happen with in the last five years, give or take some. It had made people become in love with being in a virtual world and new people. That now in “real” life the people do not know how to act around not virtual people. In this report I plan to take a look at the pros and cons of meeting/talking to people over the net.... [tags: Technology]
819 words (2.3 pages)
- Internet Chat Rooms missing works cited Over the course of the last several years I have explored several on line communities such as intimate adult chat, travel, dogs, trivia, and writers. Mostly I was curious about what draws people to chat rooms and what benefit, if any, is derived from their going to chat rooms. I was also curious as to whether people actually used the information gleaned, whether it was beneficial or did they simply just check out rooms because they were lonely and wanted to find new friends who had similar interests.... [tags: Technolgy Computers Communication Essays]
1724 words (4.9 pages)
- Lesson Planning and Teacher Chat Rooms The nature of research and discovery of a topic at one time used to be complicated. Going to the library, searching through piles of cards that were categorized and confusing in itself. Trying to find the various sections of material and checking out the material (books, periodicals, etc.) I just thought, thank God for the library course offered through the University. How would I have ever found what I was looking for. I could brows through the high school, junior high school library, but when I got to college and saw the different library buildings.... [tags: Education Technology Internet Papers]
2081 words (5.9 pages)
One of the chat rooms that I went in was the “Gothic” chat room. Most people in there were gothic. They all had names that had something to do or at least seemed to be gothic in a way. One question that frequently come up was people asking, “What is Goth,” and then of course the chat room regulars would start trying to answer the question and what it meant to them personally.
One of the reasons I think people go online to chat is because it gives you the chance to be anyone you want. A person who might have low self-esteem or be shy might feel comfortable enough to start talking to other people. I suppose it is kind of fun to be able to talk to people from all over the world. Also, many kids go online because when you are young most parents will not let you go out at night. Kids usually have nothing to do so they find it as an entertaining way to pass time. I did find out that a lot of the people online chatting seemed to be kids.
The language used in chat rooms varies from person to person. There are a lot of people in the gothic room that talked using big words and sound scholarly but then of course you had some people using street talk, slang and bad language. Another thing that is funny about online chatting is that people like to find ways to communicate faster so they invent smaller words like brb which stands for be right back. Also they have come up with ways of showing there emotions; lol which is the most frequently used one stands for laughing out loud. A new thing is the yellow smiley faces that can frown, smile, cry and many more cute faces .
I can see in a way why chat rooms would become addicting in a way. You might find some people over time you form a bond with. They turn into real friends except that you probably will not know what they look like. Although now a days I think that chatting has become funner because now people can meet each other and send pictures to each other. So now when you make a friend it’s not as mysterious. Some people like chatting because if you keep going back to the same room you see the same people and before you know it they become your friends. The room because a sort of “hang-out” for you.
Even though chat rooms have their pluses the only thing I think is bad about them is that people can lie to you and pretend to be something they are not. Also there have been many cases where older men try to get young children to meet with them. Our government needs to learn to move with technology and come up with new fair laws to help deal with computer crimes. Until humans learn to be more honest with each
other when chatting with each other then we can not assume that it is completely safe.