Essay PreviewMore ↓
After successfully holding a training session for a small team of people on the merits of team working and interpersonal skills, I now have to identify the implications of a team leader not having the type of interpersonal skills that are needed to run an effective team.
Interpersonal Skills enable you to work with others harmoniously and efficiently within a team, working well with other involves understanding and appreciating individual differences. The following points are important interpersonal skills to have;
- accepting responsibilities
- resolving conflict
- communication skills
- being culturally aware
- bringing something to the team
Accepting Responsibilities within the team is an important interpersonal skill to have because it can help the team progress and help the individual advance. The responsibilities that members will face within the team are;
- responsibilities that come with the job
- responsibilities that you voluntarily assume
- responsibilities that arise from a situation
Additional responsibilities can be done voluntarily or involuntarily. In most teams you will be asked to do things that are not in your job description. Handling these requests in a positive manner will learn new skills
- make positive contribution to the team
- assist a co-worker
- help meet deadlines
Resolving Conflicts, many causes of conflict arise due to miscommunication; a break down in communication can be due to;
- cultural differences
- differences in opinions
- unclear roles or expectations
- unequal status
- misunderstanding of languages
With these problems causing conflict within the team it is important to make sure theses barriers are understood so the team can flow and work effectively and efficiently. There are five methods to handle conflict;
- running away
- being obliging to the other party
- defeating the other party
- winning a little / losing a little (give and take)
Resolving conflict is an art of communication as co-operation helps reduce anger, stress and frustration, allowing the team to function properly making them more productive.
Communication Skills are one of the most important interpersonal skills to have because if a team doesn't communicate it will not function properly because none of the members will know what their job roles are so won't be able to work effectively and as a co-ordinated unit. Communication allows a team to flow an express any problem or view any disagreements they have.
Being Culturally Aware is very important because being culturally ware is another aspect to successful team working. People need to be aware of different;
How to Cite this Page
"Detailing The Implications Of A Team Leader Not Having Interpersonal Skills." 123HelpMe.com. 07 Dec 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... After having the desire to change, then the leader should start selling in his vision to get the followers and to to make sure that everybody is on board. As explained earlier, this requires from the leaders great deal of persuasion and negotiation skills. The ability to establish workable networks is very important to the leaders. Since the leader needs to supervise those relationships. A leader has to listen, communicate, persuade, negotiate, and collaborate to set up effective strategies for implementation.... [tags: conclusions, implications, research]
2343 words (6.7 pages)
- The fourth implication is recognizing that performance counts (p.65). The outcome of the performance of the leader contributes to many important elements of their leadership, such as the credibility and trust developed, ability to establish power, and the positive effects on the followers. Middle school and high school students are susceptible to influence, and as an adult they look up to, it is important to be aware of my action and words when I’m leading. The fifth implication is flexibility (p.65).... [tags: Leadership, Communication, Leader, Management]
887 words (2.5 pages)
- The King is dead and Lord Tywin is asking Tommen, his grandson (the new King) what he thinks what makes a good King. Tommen lists off attributes such as; holiness, just, and strength. Lord Tywin, agrees that these are all good qualities to have. However, he says holiness is a naïve characteristic to have as a King [leader]. Tywin, explains that being a just King [leader] can leave you in a vulnerable place if you are not careful. Furthermore, having strength as a King [leader] is a very powerful characteristic to have when you have some many others looking towards to lead.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Leadership development]
2019 words (5.8 pages)
- When a business leader decides the company requires a third party to evaluate its processes or offer recommendations about the best sequence of action to deal with an issue, that leader commonly seek out consultants to apply their service. Whether in external or internal consulting circumstances; actions requiring a consulting firm are frequently entered with an extraordinary extent of uncertainty. The viewed situation to be resolved just may not really be the actual problem, but the consultant doesn’t know that until one has investigated the situation, articulated and established more or less a hypotheses, and apprehended the implications and the real problematic concerns.... [tags: Management consulting, Consultant, Management]
1000 words (2.9 pages)
- Assigned leader versus emergent leader: where does the real power lie. What power sources exist within an organization. What are the powers an assigned leader holds. How does an emergent leader gain power. What can a new assigned leader do to enhance success. What factors influence the amount of power one can hold. Power is and always will be a hot topic in any organizational setting. What exactly is power. According to Rea Andre, power is “the ability to mobilize resources to accomplish some end .... [tags: assigned leader, emergent leader]
2371 words (6.8 pages)
- S. Guerrero Mr. Rear English IV, Period 3 6 December 2013 Communication Skill Diver of success In the digital age, technology advance faster than ever before. While human interaction replace with use: of text messaging, email and other form of media. Losing treasure human communication skills that have allowed mankind survive all endeavors. Human communication skills require through life. Essential in, the cooperation with people. Making people to like you rather become hateful. Improving productivity among fellow peers and co-worker.... [tags: human relation, leadership, human skills]
2029 words (5.8 pages)
- There are leaders that we see in every setting that we go through; these people usually come with different traits like being strong and ambitious. Being a leader is a quality that not everyone can achieve, but it is a quality that everyone should try and establish to move forward not only in there career but also in everyday life. Leadership comes with a lot of responsibility and is valuable in any society. Those people who are leaders are able make decisions for a group and lead a team while influencing their actions for the better.... [tags: Leadership, Management, Kurt Lewin, Skill]
1712 words (4.9 pages)
- Having communication skills is important to get ahead in a profession. It is necessary for completing simple to more complex tasks, from simply greeting customers to making sure a team is on the same page as you are. I will present three careers, management coordinator, personnel recruiter and public information officer that requires one to communicate extensively. A personnel recruiter is somebody who searches for the best candidate to fill a position. The position requires knowledge of the company 's overall goal and to search for distinct characteristics possessed by candidates.... [tags: Marketing, Sales, Customer service, Selling]
1138 words (3.3 pages)
- ... In fact, I invited her to my daughter’s birthday on the 27th. In fact, through the Global test Malinda and I had many similar answers and scores. The GLOBE test teaches us to understand how strongly we agreed or disagreed with different moral aspects and leadership factors. We both had very similar answers this reassured me that I am on the way top being the best leader. These questions help people to understand how their leadership skills are. The experience I had through week two and four reports helped me understand what I needed for the final mentor report.... [tags: leadership exercise]
582 words (1.7 pages)
- The leader is the most importance of element to the work environment. The leader 's strong leadership skills, ability to recognize the staff’s merits by instilling trust and respect, the understanding of cultural diversity, and the use of technology-meditated communication is the key to their effectiveness. Leaders need to have the skill to retain employees by instilling trust and respect allowing them to want to be at work. The skill that continues to be the most prevalent to all leaders is the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and non-verbally.... [tags: Leadership, Culture, Communication, Management]
1639 words (4.7 pages)
It is important for the team leader and team members to understand each of these points because they could offend or upset a fellow team member and this would disrupt the team's dynamics.
The final interpersonal skill is to make sure that you bring something to the team, this is important because every member need to bring something different to the team. This will keep the team balanced as all the members of the team will be strong in a different area meaning they can complete any task asked of them. Having input in the team is important because the team must not carry members because that person will bring the whole team down.
After describing the interpersonal skills a team leader and its members must have I am going to detail the implications of a team leader that doesn't have any interpersonal skills. If a team leader doesn't have the interpersonal skills detailed above it will have massive implications on the team they are managing because they won't know how to interact, motivate, relate, understand or deal with any problems that the team has.
Firstly, if a team leader doesn't know how to accept responsibilities then they will pass the responsibility and blame onto someone else within the team which will demotivate the team because they will feel unfairly treated. It is the team leader's responsibility to accept any criticism that is said about the team because it is their job to make sure the team functions properly.
If a team leader doesn't know how to resolve conflict then the team will not function properly as they will not be communicating with each other, so no work will be done. If a problem within the team doesn't get resolved as quickly as possible it will grow and grow until it affects everyone in the team. It is the team leader's responsibility to make sure any problems within the team are resolved as soon as possible.
Communication skills are very important to have within the team but if the team leader doesn't have any communication skills then the team will suffer because it is the team leaders job to talk to the team members and let them know if they are doing any thing wrong and advice them on how to improve their performance. If the team leader doesn't do this then the team will constantly work at the same level and will never improve its performance, the team leader must monitor the team's performance and then communicate with them ways of improving, otherwise the team becomes static.
If the team leader is not culturally aware this can lead to critical problems within the team because the tea leader needs to be aware that different people have different circumstances and must be treated differently because of their race, religion beliefs etc. If the team leader treats everybody the same and doesn't take into contexts people's culture it can cause the team to split and eventually cause it to break up due to problems within the team.
Finally, it is important that the team leader monitors what each individual is bringing to the team because every member of the team should bring something different to make the team balanced. This point is similar to the communication skills as the team leader should express any problems they have with the team and let them know how to overcome this problem and progress. If the team leader knows that people within the team have the same skills and doesn't raise this point the team is likely to suffer as they are as strong in areas as they should be.
So if a team leader doesn't have any interpersonal skills it will result in the team not working to the best of their ability because the team leader hasn't made them aware of any problems and won't communicate with them on how to improve their performance. The team leader must have the necessary training to make sure they know how to deal with certain situations and must be aware of interpersonal skills as they can help solve everyday problems. Once the team leader has the necessary knowledge in interpersonal skills it will benefit the team and the company because they can improve the performance and productivity of the team.