Essay PreviewMore ↓
I also believe that stricter punishments would ensure that distracted driver will adhear to the law and keep our streets and roads safe from people who chose to put others at risk just because they feel it necessary to send a texts while driving.
On September 28, 2008 then-Governor Schwarzenegger signed into law legislation that prohibited the transmission of text messages while operating a motor vehicle and fines for first time offender would be $20.00 and second time offender 50.00. According to the California Office of Traffic Safety “Cell phone talking and texting combined were cited by 35.6 percent of respondents as being the biggest safety problems, down from 38.8 percent in 2011, but higher than the 18.3 percent in 2010.”
In addition the Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS) distracted driving is a growing public safety hazard. Specifically, the dramatic rise in texting volumes since 2005 appeared to be contributing to an alarming rise in distracted driving fatalities. This is a real problem because the are the numbers are simply not decreasing enough to make a real impact on the safety of the drivers on the rode ways.
Using text to communicate is very common, its used in everyday living. Its become such a quick means to communicate that some people even text while operating their motor vehicles, but let me pose to you this question. Do you know of someone who has lost a family member or close personal friend due to texting and driving while operating a motor vehicle?
I know for certain that I know of at least once instance where I've sat at a stop light and seen the person next to me on their cell phone texting away, checking face book or snapping pictures. Can you imagine being that person who killed someone else or even yourself for that matter just because you wanted to send out that quick message through text? I have over the course of two years been in four accidents involving a person distracted by being on their call phone either through text. Luckily there weren't any substantial injuries or damages involved, but things could been much worst.
Althought the argument against texting, viewing or any form of distracted driving seems to be very clear a new report submitted by The National Traffic Safety Board imply that driving while texting is in their words “is totally fine” and “not that big a deal” just make sure you look away from your phone every so often.
How to Cite this Page
"Destracted Driver Penalties." 123HelpMe.com. 07 Dec 2019
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Should a man who sexually abused and tortured his girlfriend's kitten face only eighteen months of prison. People who commit these crimes usually face minimum time in jail and many times it does not even appear on their record. Animals are living creatures, therefore should not be harmed in not kind of way and especially not killed. Enforcing harsher penalties for animal abuse would show people that without diversities of animals, these species would become extinct, out food source would be limited in the future, and harm would continue to be done if penalties are not enacted.... [tags: punishment, penalities, abuse, animals]
977 words (2.8 pages)
- NASCAR is a multibillion dollar family owned and operated sports industry. It was founded by Bill France, Sr. in 1947-48. From 1947-48 NASCAR has changed and developed throughout the years. Having a career as a NASCAR driver and racing competitively can be the best thing for a person who loves to drive fast.7 Of course, to become a driver for the National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing, you would have to start from the bottom and work your way up to professional racing.... [tags: Becoming a NASCAR Driver]
964 words (2.8 pages)
- Largely influenced by the French New Wave and other international film movements, many American filmmakers in the late 1960s to 1970s sought to revolutionize Hollywood cinema in a similar way. The New Hollywood movement, also referred to as the “American New Wave” and the “Hollywood Renaissance,” defied traditional Hollywood standards and practices in countless ways, creating a more innovative and artistic style of filmmaking. Due to the advent and popularity of television, significant decrease in movie theater attendance, rising production costs, and changing tastes of American audiences, particularly in the younger generation, Hollywood studios were in a state of financial disaster.... [tags: Taxi Driver Essays, Film]
2352 words (6.7 pages)
- New legislation regarding drunk driving is constantly being drawn up, debated, and passed in the United States. Many states are working to make the penalties for drunk driving much harsher, especially for repeat offenders (Xavier). Currently, in every state, the minimum punishment for convicted drunk drivers involves the automatic loss of their licenses for a period of time determined by the state (Xavier). An offender’s driver’s license should be automatically suspended or revoked after a drunk driving conviction and subsequently do away with the possibility of an implied consent hearing.... [tags: alcohol, drugs, penalties, driver's license]
1553 words (4.4 pages)
- Whether or not teenagers should be allowed to get their driver 's license at age sixteen is a known topic across the United States. One of the causes for this argument is the number of fatalities caused by young drivers. Evidence shows, “In 2012, 1,875 drivers between the ages of 15 and 20 died in motor vehicle crashes and an additional 184,000 young drivers were injured, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration,” (“Teen Drivers”). Most accidents are caused by young drivers.... [tags: Driver's license, Driver's education, Driving]
1224 words (3.5 pages)
- Driver’s License I didn 't know what cold was. In fact, the closest thing to cold was a few Christmas ago when it was about sixty degrees and we almost die from hypothermia. On 2009 I was living in Rehoboth, Delaware and it was about to get cold. The winter will not only take the heat away, but also jobs and housing for immigrants like me. As the days got shorter and darker I made my plans. I was going to buy a car, move in it, and drive across the country to find a better version of myself.... [tags: Automobile, Driving, Driver's license]
728 words (2.1 pages)
- I. Attention Getter: Ryan Newman, one of the most successful racing driver on the NASCAR grid, walked through these very corridors, sat in these very benches and considering COM 114 is an engineering degree requirement, took this very class 13 years ago before graduating as a vehicular structural engineer. II. Relating to the Audience: I believe that cars have fascinated most (if not all) of you at some point of time in your life, be it their loud growly engines, sleek looks or the sheer excitement that comes along a racing weekend.... [tags: racing driver, nascar, formula 1]
931 words (2.7 pages)
- ... Lee explains that even though offenders get punished, they still disregard the law: “Only until the time comes that we recognize that drunk driving should have serious consequences on the first offense (license taken away, car impounded, jail time, higher insurance rates) will we be able to reduce drunk driving and make ourselves safer” (Lee). As long as DUI punishment for first offenders remains the same, people will continue to ignore the law. If the government made stricter DUI laws, then people would think twice before driving under the influence.... [tags: we need stricter laws]
734 words (2.1 pages)
- How to Get Driver License Having a driver license is very significant and beneficial nowadays. Getting a driver license is extremely important in our lives, especially for young adults, because acquiring a driver license does not just mean they can drive and go where they want, but also it is a greater responsibility since they are beginning to live their lives like adults not as children. Also, there are a lot of immigrants that come to the USA, and they have to get a driver license to be able to go and provide for their families requirements, but they do not know how to begin.... [tags: Driving, Driver's license, Driving test]
710 words (2 pages)
- Alcohol is the main beverage for parties and special occasions in the United States. Many people decide to drink alcohol because it helps them relax, ease tension and socializing. Even most non-drinkers are forced to drink alcohol because of peer pressure. Hebert Moskowitz, the president of the Southern California Research Institute in Los Angeles, concedes that “alcohol has been so popular these days; it seems as though alcohol is a requirement for parties” (Moskowitz, 13). Unfortunately, most UNM students do not know their limits for alcohol consumption.... [tags: drunk driving, argument, alcohol]
1686 words (4.8 pages)
- Symbolic Elements in Desiree’s Baby by Chopin and Sweat by Hurston
- Use of Literary Techniques by Jon Krakauer When Writing Into the Wild
- Oldest Rock Found on Earth
- Values and Morals of Confucianism Impact Many Cultures
- Personal Narrative: Lily My Love
- Charle Magne, Dante, Hung Wu and Wan Li, Paragraphs
Distracted driving in today’s society is a very serious issue that needs solutions, whether is stricter fines or re-education of the hazards that are on the roads today if you aren’t fully engaged in the safety of you and the motorist around you. It seem not unusual to see someone glancing down at his or her mobile devices, and in most occasions this simple action of taking ones eyes and attention off the road results in a traffic accident. All distraction while driving compromise a drivers ability to operate their motor vehicle . According to the United States Department of Transportation, "text messaging while driving creates a crash risk 23 times higher than driving while not distracted." With all the information and statistics provided, still more than 35% of drivers continue to send text messages while driving an automobile, and an astounding 20% admit to doing so on a regular basis. When I was first learning how to drive I was taught to keep both hands on the wheel and my eyes fully engaged on the road, because if you first taught to drive you learn to keep your hands on the wheel and eyes on the road. These simple rules and guidelines that are being are being disobeyed and mostly disregard on a daily basis.