It is imperative that high school students develop the composition skills needed to be successful their freshman year of college. With the Ohio Department of Education’s decision to implement and promote the College Credit Plus program for middle school and high school students, it is very likely that the high school where I teach will begin teaching composition courses worth college credits to students in-house. By asking qualified teaching professionals to teach College Credit Plus courses as the high school the district will save a tremendous amount of money on college tuition for its students while still meeting the state’s educational requirements
I created this course with the intent of being able to use this information and the assignments in the event that the high school needs a college level-appropriate course. Because the state requires that teaching professionals who teach College Credit Plus courses have their Master’s degrees in the content area, and only a handful of my colleagues have their Master’s degree in English, it is extremely likely that administrators will approach me to teach a college-level composition course at the high school in the near future.
This course will provide my students with the opportunity to experience college-level writing assignments so they are not overwhelmed or dismayed in their English classes the first year of college. Lisa Baglione reports, “The U.S. Department of Education rated 22% of twelfth graders proficient writers and called another 2 % advanced, while the vast majority of students earned basic (51%) or below (26%) rating.” The course will help to close the gap between what high school students can do in their senior English classes and wh...
... middle of paper ...
...ey complete future in-class activities, especially peer review.
To supplement the play, I will also assign Arthur Miller’s essay “Tragedy and the Common Man.” This essay discusses how everyday men can suffer downfalls just as great as those of kings. This essay will help students better understand the notion of a tragic hero and that not all heroes are entirely good. Miller’s essay will also give students more experience with nonfiction writing, a literary genre that has become the central focus for many Common Core standards. Goodwin and Miller state, “The new Common Core language arts and literacy standards attempt to correct this imbalance by placing more emphasis on reading nonfiction.” When students write their final research papers, they will be able to revisit information from this essay when deciding which characteristics to describe in their writing.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... I had to do a few finite-element analysis in this course and I probably will have to do some more during my career as an engineer. One of the biggest issues that I have with FEA is how to make the difference between the model and the real object. I could be running an analysis and obtain some numbers and beautiful colors that have no significance whatsoever. Thornton mentioned this issue in his article. He stated: “The problem is these GUIs allow inexperienced engineers to use FEA without knowing if they formulated the problem correctly.... [tags: engineering, judgement, articles, experience]
555 words (1.6 pages)
- The learning module for Cornella Brothers Inc. centers on a major focus of the organization that being safety. There are several factors that demand attention when developing a learning module. Fortunately, there are models and guides such as the ADDIE Model and the Sloan Common Course Elements guide which ensure quality and consistency in instruction design of courses. This paper will discuss the ADDIE Model’s impact on the development of this module as well as chart the components of the safety module for Cornella Brothers.... [tags: Operational Health and Safety, Employee Traning]
1976 words (5.6 pages)
- Online Design The next phase of the new program and course development process is to examine, research, and design the new proposed course as an online course. Online course delivery options must be explored. A variety of resources need to identified to successfully develop a new online course. These resources may include a variety of publications, possibly even the oversight of a faculty mentor. California State University, Chico provides a detailed site for the development of an online course.... [tags: Education ]
991 words (2.8 pages)
- Educational Course Design In contemporary psychology, the behavioural perspective known as behaviour analysis emphasises careful measurement of overt observed behaviour, along with an appreciation of the role of environment just before and just after the response. Prediction and control of behaviour are of vital interest to mankind, and behaviour analysis offers the tools to accomplish this. Behaviour analysis maintains the primary emphasis on observable behaviour and its relation to environmental events.... [tags: Papers]
2197 words (6.3 pages)
- Introduction Recall the last conference session, or professional development opportunity you attended. Were all attendees present and attentive when the session began. Look around the room: was anyone texting or checking a last e-mail. Observe the participant’s faces: were they turned toward the speaker, with expressions of attentive focus. Consider your own thoughts during the session: did they wander to an unrelated issue from home or work. It is likely that most people will consider the above questions, and arrive at the conclusion that at least a portion of conference or professional development participants spends some of their time distracted.... [tags: Business Management ]
1419 words (4.1 pages)
- Design and build can appeal to clients because it offers one purpose of responsibility for delivering the whole project. Some clients but contemplate it 's solely acceptable for easy comes, wherever style quality isn 't the most thought. The contractor can either be appointed to carry out all of the design work, or if the client needs to possess bigger influence over the design, a concept design and description (or performance) specification will be ready by a consultants used by the client, so the contractor is appointed to complete the look and carry out the construction.... [tags: Construction, Building, Design, Contract]
1018 words (2.9 pages)
- ... Hutchinson and Waters (1987: 54) raise the question to be answered first – ‘what do we mean by needs?’. The authors separate two kinds if needs – target needs (how the learner has to operate with English in the target situation) and learning needs (‘what the learner needs to do in order to learn’) (ibid.: 54). The first term holds in itself also aspects like necessities, lacks and wants (ibid.: 55). It is important to discuss these above mentioned terms closer. Necessities are objective needs that are predetermined by the target situation.... [tags: materials design, teaching methodologies]
969 words (2.8 pages)
- To assess the effectiveness of any school, college or educational institutions the main thing that should be focused are as under: • Qualified teachers. • Course outline • Environment • Students graduating from the university, getting a good job. The effectiveness of any university cannot be determined by the number of students taking admission to the university. And cost should be the last thing while considering the effectiveness. If population of any educational institute is increasing it does not show that it is a very good institute because number of population can also be increased by those students who are not good in studies and want enjoyment.... [tags: eachers, course outline, environment, graduation]
1220 words (3.5 pages)
- Where is graphic design today. Since the research in the project had compared how graphic design had moved from being handcrafted artisans making early advertisements to a more technical industry in visual design . In general Graphic Design history and contemporary design is a large gray area. To understand Graphic Design is to accept that there are multiple influences that occur at the same time. In order to avoid being misdirected is to accept there are multiple influences. Graphic Design has been the center critical debate about not only what is design, but how design differs from advertising or fine art or architecture.... [tags: Graphic design, Design, Communication design]
710 words (2 pages)
- The argument has been going on for years and years. Should schools be allowed to teach evolution without teaching creationism. The courts have ruled, the answer is no, the theory of creationism cannot be included in a public school’s academic curriculum. With the court’s decision, it has been made clear there is no place for faith based theories to be taught in our public schools. What if there was a different approach that took God out of the equation. Public high schools should allow a course in intelligent design to be included in the curriculum as a way of teaching both evolution and creationism without violating the separation of church and state.... [tags: Intelligent Design]
1121 words (3.2 pages)