There are many challenges for today’s organizations, such as globalization, intense competition, rigorous ethical scrutiny, the need for rapid response, the digital work place and the increasing diversity (Daft, 2010). Indeed, management and leadership are important factors which may influence success of an organization. In order to analyze how these factors may influence an organization; this essay will introduce a change event in small organization- a university broadcast station.
This university broadcast station was established in 1994. After few years of the establishment, the broadcast station realized that some changes should be made to meet the need of the teachers and students in the university. Indeed, changes had taken place in five main aspects in the broadcast station. The five aspects of change are the leader of the broadcast station, the setting of the program, the timetable of the programs, the regular meeting system, and the recruiting system.
By analyzing the change event in this organization, my two arguments are: the design of structure is of great importance for an organization and effective team leadership may contribute to better team effectiveness.
In order to illustrate these two arguments, this essay will discuss that suitable structures may facilitate information flow in an organization and suitable organization structure may facilitate innovation in an organization. Moreover, effective team leadership may contribute to effective team performance, because it may integrate three main processes in a team: information, affective, and coordination processes.
The design of structure is of great importance for an organization
‘‘organizations are social entities that are goal-dir...
... middle of paper ...
...nal structure and matrix structure (Daft, 2010). In this essay two main kinds of types would be discussed-functional grouping and divisional grouping.
Functional organizational structure is a kind of structure which consists of activities like coordination, supervision or task allocation. The characteristic of this kind of organization is that people in it is specialized by functional areas (Duncan, 1980). The main strengths for this structure are that it enables in-depth knowledge and skill development and also enables the organization to accomplish functional goals. Many weaknesses are also involved in this structure. Firstly, it might be slow to response to the environmental changes. Secondly, the horizontal communication and coordination might be limited among different departments. Thirdly, this kind of structure might be less innovative (Daft, 2010).
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Organization Strategic Planning Organization planning is an attempt by a manager, with or without the assistance of a resource consultant, to improve the performance of an organization by systematically analyzing and, if indicated, changing one or more of four basic organizational elements: (I) The fundamental structure; (2) The design of positions; (3) The allocation of power; (4) The staffing of key positions in the organization. Any top manager can become a more effective organization planner.... [tags: Management, Organization, Structure, Planning]
721 words (2.1 pages)
- Organizational Structure and Culture Introduction/Discussion Organization Structure and Culture are two important pieces in any business. Structure and culture are intertwined. In my present and former organizations I had the pleasure of participating in reorganization which allowed a distinct observation point, and came to realize that my opening statement is very much true. Looking at both these areas in comparison to what our text might offer, rightly so, Fischer (2012) has linked both structure and culture to covenantal obligations.... [tags: Organization, Organizational structure]
748 words (2.1 pages)
- Chapter 10 was a good read, the role organizational structure plays within an organization of all sizes is very important. The stories and organizational charts used in this chapter was interesting and informative. I like how the author used the organizational structure for U.S. Metropolitan Police Department, Washington D.C. to show readers the importance of organizational structure when it comes to following commands within a major organization that deals with homeland security. Following, September 11, 2011 terrorist attack, homeland security and MPD was forced to make changes in the organizational structural.... [tags: Organizational structure, Organization, Constable]
1249 words (3.6 pages)
- MANAGING CHANGE Interventions An intervention is an action or process of intervening. It is a set of sequenced and planned actions or events intended to help the organization increase its effectiveness. The purpose is to disrupt the status quo. They are deliberate attempts to change an organization or subunit toward a different and more effective state. We have identified the following as a relevant interventions used in the company, EROAD LTD. Techno-Structural Interventions These interventions focus on an organization 's technology (for example, task methods and job design) and structure (for example, division of labor and hierarchy).... [tags: Strategic management, Organization, Management]
844 words (2.4 pages)
- Part 1(question1) In the event, there are three parties and they are all aiming at receiving profits. The first party consists the organizer whose position is to call a famous artist to perform in the event. The second party consist the owner of the venue and the third party is the performer. Part 1(question2) The main profit from the occasion will be from the music that will be played, the alcohol that will be sold as well as selling of tables. Another aim of the event apart from the gaining of profit is to provide people with a chance to listen to the singers from their own country and also foreign singers from foreign countries.... [tags: operations management]
900 words (2.6 pages)
- Every company has its own unique organisational structure. This can be described as the system or pattern of relationship in which power and roles are given to the employers and employees. It also involves how the company is designed in order to achieve its goals and its communication channels. A good structure is crucial because the strategic decisions made can either benefit or worsen an organisation (Mullins, 2005). For example, a good structure would encourage and motivate employees in order to keep morale and job satisfaction at the highest possible level so that productive efficiency can be reached.... [tags: business, organisational structure]
1538 words (4.4 pages)
- Organization Design The organization design, sometimes mistakenly identified as an organization's structure, is in fact the process of aligning an organization's structure with its mission (Mind Tools, 2010). By understanding connections between tasks, workflow, authority, and responsibility an organization design is developed that supports the company’s overall goals and objectives. Aspects or concepts of organization design are important tools used to bind the staff and the mission of the organization and as organizations grow or change we can readily identify the requirement for concepts to change as well.... [tags: Business Management]
1511 words (4.3 pages)
- In a business world where competition is heavy and success is difficult to maintain it cannot be stressed enough how important it is to find the right way to structure an organization. There are numerous ways in which a business can be organized and this can be a leading determinant in how a business operates and performs on a daily basis. Many organizations are beginning to make the transition to a more team based structure, a structure that is less hierarchical in nature and more driven towards combining employees to complete an objective in the most efficient, best way possible.... [tags: Management, Organization, Structure]
950 words (2.7 pages)
- When it comes to good management, it is hard to stress enough how important it is to start with the basics of understanding the very design, structure, and culture that are appropriate in fulfilling the goals of that organization. Experts say that organizational structure and culture should work in tandem - as a team within the organization. It is important for organizations to “understand the difference between the two aspects because they can have a major influence on the firm’s success or failure.” John (2013).... [tags: Management, Organization]
1105 words (3.2 pages)
An Evaluation Of An Organization And Organization Structure Of The Company, Eroad Ltd. Techno Structural Interventions
- Interventions An intervention is an action or process of intervening. It is a set of sequenced and planned actions or events intended to help the organization increase its effectiveness. The purpose is to disrupt the status quo. They are deliberate attempts to change an organization or subunit toward a different and more effective state. We have identified the following as a relevant interventions used in the company, EROAD LTD. Techno-Structural Interventions These interventions focus on an organization 's technologyand structure.These change methods are receiving increasing attention in OD, especially in light of current concerns about productivity and organizational effectiveness.... [tags: Strategic management, Organization, Management]
808 words (2.3 pages)