Dex grinned and observed, “You’d never be able to wear those tight pants and shirt you’re wearing now in the bunkers either. They show off your body too much.”
I shook away the butterflies that came when he looked me up and down.
“They are soft and comfortable, and cover me,” I said placing emphasis on my last words.
He folded his arms across his chest grinning. “You sound a little jealous, Jules.”
I gasped at the preposterous accusation. “Jealous? Of course I’m not. Why would I be jealous of her? I’m perfectly happy with my own life. I have Evan. I’d be happily married to him by now if you didn’t barge in and interrupt things.”
Dex looked at me as if he was about to be reprimand me. “Happily married and oblivious to everything the Council hides from you, doing who knows what at their bidding you mean.”
I huffed back at him but couldn’t find a good comeback since he was right.
He continued, “You know for someone who comes from a place with so many geniuses you’re pretty dense sometimes. When are you going to open your eyes and see the ways things really are? The world doesn’t revolve around you Jules.”
I paused before taking off sprinting ahead of him. He had never spoken to me so harsh before and it hurt deeply, not to mention my ego. I suddenly missed Evan more than anything, and I ...
... middle of paper ...
...y has lived here since before the Event. I come from a line of survivors , so we hold a lot of sway around here,” she said proudly before adding, “You look like you only come out at night. I’ve never seen someone so disgustingly pale. Then again, I can understand from your complexion why you wouldn’t want to be seen in broad daylight.”
I wanted to learn more about how her family had survived, but she had to throw in an insult. Without thinking I touched my face. I didn’t have a bad complexion. My skin was slightly on the pale side since I’d been in a cave and hospital room for the past two months, but it wasn’t normally like this. Kara already had a way of making my temper spark, and I was quickly finding out it was only getting worse the more time I spent with her.
I picked up my bowl to leave, unable to resist as I sighed, “Nice outfit,” as I began to walk away.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- For my fourth sensescape, I decided to taste something that I have not had in ten years. I created a list of possible foods to re-eat. One of them on my list was a slider from White Castle. Since I have not gone to or seen a White Castle in the longest time, I searched up the nearest location to my house and I ventured there. When I walked into the White Castle, the savory smell of onions and beef awakened my nostrils and tempted my taste buds. I ordered five original sliders with no additional toppings.... [tags: Taste, Olfaction, Sense, Hamburger]
711 words (2 pages)
- My mind was empty and full of boredom, and the only way to satisfy this void was to draw. It was midday at my house, and my four-year-old attention span was not able to handle not drawing. I scurried around my parent’s office looking for the holy grail of colors and found it in the waxy smell of Crayola crayons: a magnificent, bright, and vivid pack of 12 colors. I began my search for the last piece of the puzzle--the white copy paper to draw on. Searching for what seemed like forever (most likely a minute), I gave up and began another exploration.... [tags: Want, Need, Help me, Help]
1327 words (3.8 pages)
- The sound of the wheels from a skateboard on the pavement rattles my head. The only thing stopping the pounding noise was the slight breeze of air that flew through cooling down all the noise. Blowing through the blue curls in my hair the wind covered my ears. No worries could reach me in this moment. The excitement to get to the library kept me flying down the road. I could already imagine the smell in the air of old paperback books enveloping my nose. Getting to run my fingers over new books hard spines that hold the forever stories together.... [tags: Character, English-language films, Protagonist]
1973 words (5.6 pages)
- I have always found it fallacious that so many people feel the need to speak about someone and assume things that are completely inaccurate. As an older brother I have I had alot of responsibities, so sometimes I babysit my little Brother who is 3 years old. However everytime I go out in public with my little Brother people always assume that he’s my son. I never get frantic but every now and then someone will make an absurd comment that I would not be so kind to. I remember one weekend day after taking my brother to the park, we decided to go to Jack In The Box.... [tags: Hip hop music, Hip hop, Rapping, Funk]
1201 words (3.4 pages)
- The photo—which my mama now held lovingly in her grasp—I hadn’t realized sat encased in an actual silver frame. When I had touched the frame to draw it close so I could take better look, a shock of static electricity pierced through me. The sudden surge of energy making a snapping, popping sound as an arching bluish bolt of lightning jumped from the metal to my finger tips. “Ouch,” I muttered as I quickly reeled my hand back before touching my fingertips to my lips. “Oh, did it get you?” my mama asked after having heard the sound and possibly even having saw the spark strike before I jumped back.... [tags: Bedroom, Room, Apartment, Nursery]
1200 words (3.4 pages)
- The smells of her still linger around me. I can remember walking in to her house and being overwhelmed by the smell of dryer sheets, makeup, and dogs. It doesn’t sound like a nice smell but little did I know it would become one of my favorite smells. As we got older my grandparents took me on vacations with them. We did a lot we went to different lakes, different monumental structures and many different camping sights. Even though my grandpa and I never told her, we always believed she was the root of all bad luck on our vacations, and I mean serious bad luck.... [tags: Family, Grandparent, Wind, Lake]
901 words (2.6 pages)
- My hair stood on end, a shiver raced down my spine and a lump came to my throat. It was him...I haven’t seen him, let alone heard his name, in over five years. Don. I mouthed his name as my eyes met the face that I used to see every night and day. Quickly, I avoided my gaze. The last thing I wanted was for him to notice me. He looked happy, glowing. Don had seemed to move on to bigger and better things. What was he doing back in town. The little coffee shop that we used to spend our Friday nights in listening to music had not had both of us in it since he left...Suddenly waves of good times and warm feelings entered my brain.... [tags: Debut albums, 2006 albums, 2008 singles]
2126 words (6.1 pages)
- Driving with my dad those countless hours gave me plenty of time to say goodbye, but I just couldn’t form the words. So instead when pestered each other with our normal banter, annoying each other with pun filled jokes that incited a groan instead of a laugh. My dad filled the time with stories, telling me about his childhood, his father, and grandfather who I never had the pleasure to meet. At that time, though I never actually said goodbye or how much I’d miss him, this was in a way our way of saying it without actually speaking.... [tags: Family, Mother, Jack Lemmon, Father]
950 words (2.7 pages)
- “Yugyeom.. You walk to fast!” You panted as you rested your hands on your knees. Yugyeom was a little more fit than you and was a lot faster than you, making it hard for you to keep up with his quick pace. You were both on the way to Got7’s practice room. Yugyeom had invited you to learn the new dance for their latest comeback. You were so excited to learn it. You had to have watched their teaser at least 50 times. You liked to think of them as a bunch of flying squishies. Yugyeom smiled at you as he opened the door to the practice room.... [tags: 2007 singles, 2005 singles, Debut albums, Hug]
1260 words (3.6 pages)
- I sat at the bar In the kitchen, eating ice cream and I guess he 's still on the phone. I 'm still thinking of ways I can tell him I can either. A. Blurt it out. B. Just wait until it shows more. C. Leave and not tell him and not ruin his life. The way things are going I like options b&c. He came into the kitchen and sat down across from me. "Baby I 'm sorry, it was Nick he wanted to know if I wanted to shoot pool." I nodded. "Are you going?." I said looking at my barely eaten ice cream. "No I told him I going to stay with you." I nodded again.... [tags: 2007 singles, 2006 singles, 2008 singles]
1922 words (5.5 pages)
- The Israeli Palestine Peace Negotiations
- The Benefits Of Having A Pet Dog
- The Fundamental Flaws Of Nuclear Energy
- Comparing Shakespeare 's Texts ( First Quarto, Second Quarto And First Folio ) And Saxo Grammaticus Historiae Danicae
- Culture Appropriation Of African American Culture
- Analysis Of Jean Kilbourne 's Essay