A manager plays a pivotal role in steering the success and failure of the organization. As a budding manager, I wanted to get an insight about the daily activities of a manager and learn about their ‘typical day’. Therefore, an interview was scheduled, where the manager shared her views and gave invaluable advice on becoming an effective manager. This helped me in integrating the management concepts taught in the class and its implications in the real world.
About the Interviewee
The name of the interviewee is Seema Sivanandan and she currently works with Caterpillar Inc. Her designation is Senior IT Analyst. Her major responsibilities include Operations management, handling new applications deployment pertaining to engineering and manufacturing field. She also performs Customer Relationship Management and leads an IT team of 12 to provide business support for critical manufacturing applications deployed in Asia Pacific region. Her employer, Caterpillar Inc. is an American corporation which designs, develops, engineers, manufactures, markets and sells machinery, engines, financial products and insurance to customers via a worldwide dealer network. It is a leading manufacturer of construction and mining equipment, diesel and natural gas engines, industrial gas turbines and diesel-electric locomotives. The company has various facilities in India, the interviewee works in the facility located in Thiruvallur, Chennai, India. She has been with the organization for almost 7 years.
Since the manager lives in India, I had to work on the time difference and therefore, contacted her with email to know about her availability. I prepared a questionnaire and included all the relevant questions as stated in the...
... middle of paper ...
...interviewee’s business is customer focused, since her team is responsible for providing business support which ensures the deployed application’s availability and helps in running the production line without any interruption. Therefore, providing higher customer satisfaction. She also provides innovative IT solutions in order to comply with customer’s requirement while adhering to organization’s policy. This facilitates a win-win situation for the company and its customers.
The interview assisted me in viewing the application of management skills from a real manager’s perspective. I have learned the importance of customers in the business and how to manage the team’s resource while motivating them to achieve a higher throughput as a team. I know the significance of listening to customers, employee and other critique in order to develop myself as a successful manager.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- The role of an effective leader can hold several different positions. A leader should take in account the followers and value their opinions and work together to reach a specific goal. A group of people working together becomes a team and teamwork is a valuable asset to any organization. This paper will discuss the importance of teamwork and how management plays a role in the development of a good team. This paper will address the effectiveness of a management team, as well as the effectiveness of a manager over a team.... [tags: Management, Leadership, ManaGeR, The A-Team]
1019 words (2.9 pages)
- PART: 2 ---- REFLECTION Performance :- Where Strong and where to Improve as a Project Manager. From the thoroughly reading of the five literature, I investigate that there are some common roles such as decision making, motivation, leadership, monitoring and processes as initiation, planning, execution, controlling, closing that is presented by few literatures. Nevertheless, the rest of literatures define the different roles like liaison role , businessman role, conflict controlling role and different processes as building WBS, Project resources, managing project resources.... [tags: Project management, Construction]
1451 words (4.1 pages)
- Five Minds of a Manager In today’s competitive business environment, effective management plays a crucial role. The article Five Minds of a Manager by Jonathan Gosling and Henry Mintzberg, identify some important aspects of effective managers. According to the author, “The world of the manager is complicated and confusing.” Consequently, mangers need to think above ordinary employees. In particular, managers should, think global and act local, collaborate through competitions, be agents of change and maintain order.... [tags: competitive business environment]
1000 words (2.9 pages)
- From the experience working as a business manager for McDonalds Ltd in the United Kingdom I experienced the effectiveness of the online recruitment the one of the major responsibilities of a business manager. The easy, cost effective and time saving nature of the process enabled the posting of the jobs in the real time without any delay so as a business manager I was more flexible and in control of other daily tasks very relevant to the business and workplace. The selective process was based on initial online recruitment, and because I had an opportunity to experience and test the system from the perspective of job seeker, I can clearly state that the applicant goes through rigorous selecti... [tags: Human resource management, Management]
1698 words (4.9 pages)
- My Journey to HR Manager During my 16 years of working, three major jobs, six jobs total, I have encountered different sides and roles that a Human Resource Manager plays. Being able to be promoted into an HR position myself, I found out more in depth what the job functions and duties of the HR manager were. I had never gone to school or had any other learning outside of the job. Because I was and still am, determined to learn all that I can in whatever job I am in, I always take the initiative to go above and beyond my job duties, and that is how I landed the job in Human Resources.... [tags: Human resource management, Human resources]
2323 words (6.6 pages)
- 1. Introduction Project managers have to improve their skills every day to deal with the organizational change and especially the world’s Megatrends. However, it can be a challenge for a project manager to comprehend what skills they should be improved, what sections of project management knowledge that should be tried to perceive, and how to measure and enhance their performance. Developing a PDP is a major method to allow individuals to understand and reflect their own performance and accomplishment and to create a plan for their personal training and career development (Personal development planning, 2009.... [tags: Project management, Construction, Project manager]
1780 words (5.1 pages)
- Many organizations and establishments have philosophies in how an organization is to be functioning and which positions are necessary to execute the plan. One of the crucial positions that make the establishment function is that of a Supervisor. The term supervisor is a word with Latin roots which means “to look over,” however, a supervisor is viewed as a person who is an immediate overseer to an employee at a workplace. The supervisor is the person an employee would directly report to for any work related situation.... [tags: Organizational Structure, Job Descriptions]
1616 words (4.6 pages)
- A nurse manager plays an important role on a hospital unit. Evans defines the role of a nurse manager as one who makes sure all the needs required on a daily basis are accomplished (Evans, 2011). Evans goes on to say that one primary responsibility of a nurse manager acting in the position of a leader is to “raise the level of expectation and help employees reach their highest level of potential excellence” (Evans, 2011). With this said, it is important to identify potential barriers and problems that a nurse manager would face on a given unit and create or adopt evidence-based interventions to eliminate these problems.... [tags: hospitals, nurse manager, shoulder injuries]
3035 words (8.7 pages)
- What makes a great manager. “Despite differences in their personal attributes, successful managers all excel in making, honoring, and remaking of commitments” (Sull, 2005). Commitments take many forms from capital investments to personal decisions to public statements. A mangers commitment defines what a business can and cannot do as well as the businesse’s strengths and weaknesses (Sull, 2005). However, while all good managers should be able to make, honor, and remake commitments the type of certifications, degrees, license, and experience the person will need in order to successfully do these things will depend on what type of business the manager is running (large, small, selling products... [tags: commitments, good manager, swot analysis]
1187 words (3.4 pages)
- The job description of a market manager is fairly self-explanatory. A market manager has to strategically figure out ways to improve a products ' appeal to a variety of audiences. That individual must organize a creative team that can research/analyze data to come out with logical, entertaining, and informative guidelines for an effective product. Market managers are tasked with calculating the best "pricing strategy" to make sure the organization he is with is in the best situation to benefit from the most.... [tags: Leadership, Management, New York City]
1454 words (4.2 pages)
- Improving And Vary Artistic Style Within One Month
- The Mission Of Vitas Healthcare
- The Effects Of Higher Education On Public Schools
- Praying The Upside Down Kingdom
- How Dietary Habits Are Formed Early Of Life And Are Influenced By A Child 's Family, Culture,
- Marketing Techniques : Consumerism And Marketing