It was just for a second that we exchanged eyes. He stared at me and I stared at him. Then suddenly a chill went into our spines; we both put our eyes down acting like we had seen each other for the very first time, while we were roommates, well at least for ten days. I couldn’t blame him for that and neither could he blame me. Situations were same for all of us-more than fifty people-living together there and sharing the same schedule.
Five of us shared the same room; we went to bed at the same time and woke up together at the sound of a common alarm. “Same room” and yet we were so distant. Nobody ever uttered a word. There was not a single person who had the time or the permission to hurt the equanimity of others by pursuing any form of communications, even gestures or sign languages. Trying hard not to commit the mistake of disturbing the composure of others and in turn harm our own calmness, every one of us always kept our head down facing the ground. It was like all of us were searching something ...
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- This study explores the disclosure of carbon emissions and climate change-related information by businesses in China. 1. Background Climate change is one of the most important international issues and the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) sets an overall framework for intergovernmental efforts to tackle the challenges posed by climate change (Guidance on how to measure and report your greenhouse gas emissions, 2009).With the increasing awareness of the severity of climate change, the reduction of CO2 emissions has become a predominant topic.... [tags: Climate Change Information Disclosure]
3051 words (8.7 pages)
- As the eldest son of a peasant farmer and a charcoal seller in rural Ghana, I have always been struggling my way up. In order to support my parents take care of me and my younger siblings, I had to spend time every day after school working in my father’s farm. It wasn’t easy, but that was my only option. Sometimes, I am even discouraged and wish that I could quit school, but my desire to change the situation in my family has kept me going. I have been studying and working diligently towards my education because that is the most assured way to successful future.... [tags: school, hard work, determination, familu]
548 words (1.6 pages)
- Disclosure is a drama/thriller. The genre for this movie states, “Sex is Power”. Tom is a happily married man, a successful computer expert, and works for a major computer company “Digicom”, which is about to merge. He believes he is going to receive a promotion because of all his devotion and work for the company. Instead the job goes to Meredith, who is from another plant and with whom he was romantically involved in his bachelor days. She is now his new boss, who is very aggressive, sexy and dedicated to destroy him after he refuses to have an affair with her.... [tags: Disclosure Movies Sex Films Essays]
4404 words (12.6 pages)
- Sex determination in mammalian embryos is the process by which an embryo is determined, at the cellular level, to become a male or female. At fertilization, a zygote will receive either an X or Y-chromosomes from the father’s sperm to accompany the X chromosomes given by the mothers egg. It is at this point that a zygote can be said to be male or female. However, the development of male or female sex organs is not determined until later in the sixth to seventh week of development. Genetics plays a significant role in sex determination, providing many gene loci that assist the process of cell determination and organ development.... [tags: Primary Sex Determination, Sex Chromosomes]
1767 words (5 pages)
- ... Even though the “scholarship boy” has enough intellectual knowledge to be aware of his temporary problems, he doesn’t make any changes. His selfishness dynamically expresses later on in adulthood, he tends to separates himself from his parents. It can be concluded that all of his success is come from the help and scarification of his parent. He would respect and appreciate them. However, he develops a sense of disrespect and ungrateful to his parents. The man obviously does nothing to compensate for his parent scarification “Your parent must be really proud of you.” The man then tries to balances “home” and “school things.... [tags: determination to go after a goal]
1337 words (3.8 pages)
- Reader Response Criticism to God's Determinations For the reader demanding either rational sense or aesthetic pleasure from poetry, reading the preface to Edward Taylor's "God's Determinations" is humbling in ways unintended by the 17th century Puritan minister and poet. "Rationality" per se seems rejected at the start, where we are asked first to comprehend "Infinity," and then to envision it (everything) "beholding" "all things"(also everything). "Things" get no clearer as we progress, as we find whatever "infinity" "beholds" in not everything but "nothing," and that "nothing" itself to become the building material for "all." Identifying the paradox, perhaps, as that which begins t... [tags: God's Determinations Essays]
623 words (1.8 pages)
- Death in A Streetcar Named Desire Tennessee Williams uses the theme of death continually in the play ‘A Streetcar Named Desire’ through the use of dramatic imagery and literal references. The characters of Blanche and Mitch are used the most frequently to express Williams’ own obsession with death. Though neither of the characters actually obsesses about death, Blanche’s life has been smothered by the deaths of those she loves and the coming death of Mitch’s mother is an obvious motivation for his actions.... [tags: A Streetcar Named Desire Themes Essays]
1094 words (3.1 pages)
- Some people believe that talent and a winning attitude are all you need in order to succeed in your endeavors, but a winning attitude means having determination, which many people lack. As seen on wisdomforthesoul.org, “Real leaders are ordinary people with extraordinary determination.” Determination is an important factor in the overall success or failure of a person’s efforts. Unfortunately, determination is not something that comes easy to the majority of people. To be truly determined, a person must first be passionate about what they’re doing.... [tags: Personal Attributes]
1109 words (3.2 pages)
- Often if a person wishes to receive what he or she desires out of life, he or she possesses a determined personality. In literature, a character’s sometimes seemingly nonexistent determined streak often reveals itself due to the conditions which the character is under. In the short story “Through the Tunnel” by Doris Lessing as well as the short story “The Lie” by Kurt Vonnegut Jr., certain characters are determined people who try not to let anything get in the way of what they fancy or feel they deserve.... [tags: Literary Review]
714 words (2 pages)
- It was a gloomy, overcast night. The wind was blowing and it was going to storm. Khadijah and her three young children were sitting on an old worn carpet in their room Khadijah looked out the window often, trying not to draw her children’s attention. She was worried that the storm would break before her husband arrived. Finally, hearing the key turn in the lock, she quickly got up, telling her children to go welcome their father. “Oh mother”, said the youngest child, “Has he brought us food?” She gently scolded him, saying, “This is not important.... [tags: Creative Writing Essay]
1170 words (3.3 pages)