I am very passionate in environmental pollution and biogeochemistry research, particularly the role of increasing nitrogen (N) and sulfur (S) in aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems. Natural environment is severely impacted by the increase of N and S loadings from the atmosphere. Dr. Julian Aherne’s...
... middle of paper ...
...de range of application in consumer and medical products. Recent study has revealed that the ENMs are emerging contaminants and detrimental to human health and the environment. Their fate, bioavailability and toxicity depend on their solubility, shape and agglomeration /deagglomeration in environment. It’s very difficult to evaluate any environmentally realistic concentration of ENMs. To date, the cause, effects and mechanism of most of the ENMs toxicity are unknown and still there are huge knowledge gaps regarding the interaction of ENMs with other environmental systems. Therefore, the objectives of my PhD thesis research specifically address some of these knowledge gaps.
I believe that I have the backgrounds, experience and preparation to succeed in your program, and this department and research areas are an excellent fit for my research interests and goals.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Environmental science is the study of the environment (air, water, soil, organisms) and the solution to environmental challenges, for example, human activities. Although environmental science is common knowledge today, it was not a field of study until the 1960’s. Around this time, environmental science presented few issues in comparison to the many we face today. In the last few decades, humans have made damaging effects on the environment, like the ozone layer and global warming. Also the earth has become polluted, not only on the inside, but on the outside too.... [tags: ecology, mitigation, scientists]
949 words (2.7 pages)
- The burning of fossil fuel is destroying ecosystems worldwide. Particularly in developed countries, media is constantly publicizing the newest knowledge of humanities’ destruction of the Earth’s ecosystems. With the push from the United States government to find alternative and renewable energy sources, careers in the environmental science field are in high demand. This pursuit for a more sustainable resource is being urged more rapidly because of a sky-rocketing global population and the diminishment of fossil fuel reserves.... [tags: career choices, statement of purpose]
596 words (1.7 pages)
Improvements on the Performance of a Microbial Fuel Cell for Biological Treatment of Hexavalent Chromium
- Chromium in the natural environment General A great variety of chemical compounds can be found in water, not all of them of the same concentration or significance. Even with respect to the same chemical element, different aquatic conditions like reduction/ oxidation potential and pH may bring out a variety of different properties with varying importance. Among other inorganic contaminants, chromium can be found in water as a result of anthropogenic processes like electroplating, leather tanning, textile and pigment manufacturing and wood preserving (U.S.E.P.A., 2000).... [tags: Chemistry ]
509 words (1.5 pages)
- When I found out that there are currently over 160 offices in over 40 countries, which act as a base for Environmental Resource Management ,I was amazed (ERM.com) ,. At any point in time, an employee could be asked to take up a job in any of the numerous exotic and beautiful locations such as Japan or France. As an avid traveler, I was immediately drawn to the idea of working such a job. My dream, since I was a child has been to visit every country in the world at least once. In order to achieve my dream I searched for jobs that included traveling, and experimented with the idea of becoming an archeologist or a traveling photographer.... [tags: Natural resource, Natural environment, Ecology]
1045 words (3 pages)
- The World Is Not Passed Saving, We Just Need More People to Care The end is not coming in a giant tidal wave, nor is it coming with massive fire. There will be no zombies, and there will be no mass explosion. The end is coming in increased carbon dioxide levels and slowly melting ice caps. Its coming in habitat destruction and human greed. Its end is almost here or maybe it is already here. But one this is for certain, the world needs people to care about the environment and the impact that humans are having on the environment.... [tags: Sustainability, Environment, Natural environment]
1194 words (3.4 pages)
- ... So what was the world like before Chemistry you might ask yourself. Life before Chemistry was much more difficult. Ancient Civilizations did not know which chemicals to pair with what, leaving them with lives that were much more difficult than what was needed. After the discovery of Chemicals, and the use of science in everyday lives, the environments became more and more structured. Humans began to use this way of life and channel it into their own, from the mixture of certain chemicals to make pottery, to extracting medicine out of plants.... [tags: society, impact, technology]
614 words (1.8 pages)
- I choose to research environmental science for my topic. I’ve always enjoyed nature and sciences and found this career very closely related to those interests. I wanted to find a career that involved interest I already had. There are many different sciences; this one was the one that stood out the most to me. I discovered this career after looking into possible career choices in the Air Force. The aspect of this career interested me, and quickly became a consideration for a future career choice.... [tags: nature, science]
1572 words (4.5 pages)
- When we sit in a science class, most of the time we are bored as bored can get. We really do not get a chance to explore on our own to find out what’s really out there. Teachers sometimes are not able to get in depth outside the textbook because they are required to teach that all in the year. That is why a lot of kids do not really get into science because they are stuck to the book all the time. Some kids love science and do not really care about the work they have to do. Environmental science, is more than the book really says.... [tags: Nature, Animals, Pollution, Natural Resources]
1048 words (3 pages)
- Environmental Science Notes September 2nd * The environment .A biotic (non living) and biotic (living) factors * Natural resources .Renewable, nonrenewable, solar energy watts * Population growth Major environmental problems * Science . A process for learning about the world . Accumulated knowledge that results from this process * Environmental science .Interdisciplinary areas of study .Determine how humanity affects other organisms and the non living physical environment .Develop solution to environmental problems * Scientific method .... [tags: Environmental]
649 words (1.9 pages)
- Chemistry has been called the science of what things are. Its intent is the exploration of the nature of the materials that fabricate our physical environment, why they hold the different properties that depict them, how their atomic structure may be fathomed, and how they may be manipulated and changed. Although organic reactions have been conducted by man since the discovery of fire, the science of Organic chemistry did not develop until the turn of the eighteenth century, mainly in France at first, then in Germany, later on in England.... [tags: Chemistry]
1119 words (3.2 pages)