Part 1: Introduction
There are several health care careers that caught my attention while searching for a desired career pathway. During my research, my cousin, who currently studies dental hygiene at Ferris, spent hours trying to convince me to become a dental hygienist. The thought of the working with kids who hate the dentist, or people that neglect their teeth didn’t interest me; however, after hours of research and job shadowing, there was a possibility that dental hygiene could be in my future. Being a dental hygienist can be very rewarding, and that was the deciding factor. As a student at Ferris State University, dental hygiene is a difficult program to get into. This fall I will begin my dental hygiene classes and obtain an Associate’s degree in dental hygiene in two years. In addition to that, I will complete Bachelor’s of Dental Hygiene degree shortly after. Oral health care has always been extremely important to me, and many people lack the oral health care education that they need. I’m eager to educate people on the important of oral health, and ways to improve their health. Working with a variety of patients whether new, younger, or older is something I’m interested in. By doing so, I hope to see an improvement with all my patients oral health during each visit. These are some of the reasons why becoming a dental hygienist is in my future.
Nutrition plays a dominant role in oral health. Most people are aware that pop and sweets aren’t good for your teeth, as most people are taught that as children. When I was pondering what topic to use for this project, I thought about all the different things that people use to improve the appearance of their teeth. A smi...
... middle of paper ...
...ay have darkened with age (Sarrett, 2002, p. 1538).
In summation of the different types of teeth whitening, there are several different types of teeth whitening. Typically office-used products are more expensive, based on my previous experiences with it. There are many different brands of OTC whitening that are available, as well as several different brands and kinds of whitening toothpastes that are available. All ADA seal of acceptance products are recommended, and the kind that people chose to use is usually based on preference. As I state above, it is best to ask a dentist or other dental professionals before using any type of teeth whitening, as well as ask them which toothpaste products are safest to use. Different types of teeth whitening are better for certain people, so it’s best for a dentist to recommend what he thinks is best for your oral health.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Case 16 This case presents a very delicate situation that presents many legal and ethical questions. Do you tell your brother his partner has HIV. I would tell my brother, but the how and when, may vary based on circumstance. From a professional ethical standpoint, it would be unethical to disclose the patient’s HIV status without consent. It would violate the patient’s right to confidentiality, as it is the patient’s choice whom information may be shared with (Beemsterboer, 2010, p. 50). It could also be argued that it is a violation of the principle of nonmaleficence.... [tags: Dental Hygiene Ethics ]
1560 words (4.5 pages)
- Many of the chronic diseases that exist in society today develop because children in the United States are not properly educated on the importance of dental hygiene. Educating the younger generation about dental hygiene and dental care allows them to live healthier lives. This creates intellectual decisions concerning their overall health, and will allow future generations to do the same. Numerous researchers and dentists have observed that this topic is a major issue emerging in not only pediatric dentistry but also in general dentistry.... [tags: internet essays]
3128 words (8.9 pages)
- A clinician by profession (2010) and an idealist by nature I believe that life should be lived most effectively. According to me the most effective way to fulfil my personal goals is to take the knowledge I acquire through a Master’s degree in dental hygiene program, and use it in my arsenal to educate people in my community about oral health and its determinants. A career as a dental hygiene instructor for a basic preparation dental hygiene program is my opportunity to not only effectively utilize my leadership skills to facilitate a well coordinated learning milieu for dental hygiene students, but also to advocate various inter related dental hygiene roles such as that of a clinician and... [tags: Health Care]
1039 words (3 pages)
- For the past two and a half years I have been working as a Periodontal Assistant accommodating two doctors. Combined, both doctors have over thirty years experience within the field of Periodontics. The field of Periodontics focuses predominately on the prevention, treatment, and maintenance of periodontal disease. Treatment of periodontal disease, commonly is managed by; the removal of excessive tissue, bone and tissue grafts, and extraction of problem teeth. However, at our practice, we not only manage periodontal disease, but replace missing teeth with dental implants.... [tags: Dental Health]
2010 words (5.7 pages)
- Implant Procedures [Implants are used to give a strong foundation to the new teeth/tooth. It requires a long procedure to get fixed. They require same care as of the natural tooth.] Prosthodontics Fixed &Removable Denture [A set of false teeth are called dentures. Dentures are used to replace the missing tooth/teeth. Dentures are chosen when the bridges fail in the task of replacing the missing tooth.] Dentures are of different types. It can be made of acrylic, fibreglass, metal or a combination of any of these materials.... [tags: implants, prosthodontics, bridges, dental crowns]
1000 words (2.9 pages)
- Dental Amalgam Amalgam dental restorations which are also known as silver fillings are the number one choice for restoring teeth. These silver fillings have been used for over a hundred years to fill in cavities where there has been decay. The question many have is “what is dental amalgam?” Dental amalgam is a mixture of materials containing powdered alloy, metals and mercury. There have been some concerns, however about the safety of this mercury containing filling material. According to the Food and Drug Administration, amalgam is in the same class as gold and composite fillings and does not pose the safety concerns as once thought.... [tags: Dental Health]
1114 words (3.2 pages)
- When giving our presentation on the Inquiry Model to the class, our objectives were to define what the inquiry model is, inform the class about the importance of inquiry, identify the outcomes of inquiry, explain how it differs from other approaches, and explain the benefits. We felt like going over these aspects would give the class a clearer and better understanding of the topic. Our opening statement was giving the class a clear-cut definition of what the Inquiry Model means. It contains many different things in the definition.... [tags: Inquiry-based Learning]
1141 words (3.3 pages)
- Community Dental Campaign Introduction With dental caries on the rise, a tooth brushing demonstration was needed for preschoolers. The demonstration was given at Prince of Peace Preschool for three to five year olds. The demonstration involved singing the ABC song three times (which is the equivalent of two minutes) and getting all surfaces of the teeth. The demonstration also involved an oral pre and post test quizzing preschoolers’ knowledge of dental hygiene. Toothbrushes, toothpaste, and floss were sent home with the children.... [tags: dental caries, tooth brushing, children]
1461 words (4.2 pages)
- Partial Denture Options A partial denture is a removable appliance constructed by a dentist to replace missing teeth. Partial dentures are used in an area of the mouth where fixed, non-removable appliances are neither practical nor feasible. Constructing partial dentures takes approximately one to four visits depending on the type of appliance chosen. The dentist recommends the partial denture options best suited to his patient's aesthetic, functional and financial needs. Conventional Partial Denture A conventional removable partial denture has a metal framework with thin metal clasps, which fit around the abutments - the natural or crowned teeth next to the missing teeth.... [tags: Partial Dentures, Dental Health]
918 words (2.6 pages)
- Marketing Dental Floss Flossing: A new secret to good health. Introduction: Dental floss is one of those products we never notice on the shelves in the stores and never pay too much attention to in our bathroom. At the same time for many people it is a part of the “before going to bed” ritual along with brushing teeth, taking shower, etc. and etc. Those who don’t use it on regular basis still have it in their bathrooms, because: 1. A mouth hygiene care item in regards to which everybody wants to be unlike everybody and thus follows the traditional patterns.... [tags: Dental Health]
2131 words (6.1 pages)