Part 1: Introduction
There are several health care careers that caught my attention while searching for a desired career pathway. During my research, my cousin, who currently studies dental hygiene at Ferris, spent hours trying to convince me to become a dental hygienist. The thought of the working with kids who hate the dentist, or people that neglect their teeth didn’t interest me; however, after hours of research and job shadowing, there was a possibility that dental hygiene could be in my future. Being a dental hygienist can be very rewarding, and that was the deciding factor. As a student at Ferris State University, dental hygiene is a difficult program to get into. This fall I will begin my dental hygiene classes and obtain an Associate’s degree in dental hygiene in two years. In addition to that, I will complete Bachelor’s of Dental Hygiene degree shortly after. Oral health care has always been extremely important to me, and many people lack the oral health care education that they need. I’m eager to educate people on the important of oral health, and ways to improve their health. Working with a variety of patients whether new, younger, or older is something I’m interested in. By doing so, I hope to see an improvement with all my patients oral health during each visit. These are some of the reasons why becoming a dental hygienist is in my future.
Nutrition plays a dominant role in oral health. Most people are aware that pop and sweets aren’t good for your teeth, as most people are taught that as children. When I was pondering what topic to use for this project, I thought about all the different things that people use to improve the appearance of their teeth. A smi...
... middle of paper ...
...ay have darkened with age (Sarrett, 2002, p. 1538).
In summation of the different types of teeth whitening, there are several different types of teeth whitening. Typically office-used products are more expensive, based on my previous experiences with it. There are many different brands of OTC whitening that are available, as well as several different brands and kinds of whitening toothpastes that are available. All ADA seal of acceptance products are recommended, and the kind that people chose to use is usually based on preference. As I state above, it is best to ask a dentist or other dental professionals before using any type of teeth whitening, as well as ask them which toothpaste products are safest to use. Different types of teeth whitening are better for certain people, so it’s best for a dentist to recommend what he thinks is best for your oral health.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Do you know what you want to do when you graduate from high school. For me that’s an easy question to answer. I want to go to college to become a Dental Hygienist. By becoming a dental hygienist I will accommodate a good amount of pay to support myself and my future family. Becoming a hygienist is most likely the best choice for me because I have always been interested in teeth and one of my main priorities is my oral hygiene. But also, I have been told that I am really good at making people feel more comfortable and helping them relax.... [tags: Dental hygienist, Hygiene, Dentistry]
1053 words (3 pages)
- The career I am currently pursuing is Dental Hygiene. I chose this career in senior year of high school. My algebra teacher inspired me to choose this career path. I always visited with her after class, for she was my favorite teacher and I learned a great deal from her. One day while visiting her, she spoke about her husband and her two dogs. Her husband was a dental hygienist, and she recommended me to explore further into that career if I could not think of one myself by the completion of senior year.... [tags: Dental hygienist, Hygiene]
1185 words (3.4 pages)
- Motorized toothbrushes have been engineered and claim to improve periodontal therapy and plaque removal, but it’s not clear how they compare with manual toothbrushes (Sicilia, A., et al.). The Optiva Corporation formerly GemTech created Sonicare an electrical motorized toothbrush. Philips is the leader in electronic manufacturing, buying out Optiva and re-branding it in 1999 to Philips Sonicare. The multi-billion dollar global company also called Royal Philips of the Netherlands is a diversified tech company specializing in advancing technology within the field of consumer lifestyle, medical, lighting, semiconductors, and polymer science (usa.philips.com).... [tags: Oral hygiene, Toothbrush, Dental floss]
1574 words (4.5 pages)
- Case 16 This case presents a very delicate situation that presents many legal and ethical questions. Do you tell your brother his partner has HIV. I would tell my brother, but the how and when, may vary based on circumstance. From a professional ethical standpoint, it would be unethical to disclose the patient’s HIV status without consent. It would violate the patient’s right to confidentiality, as it is the patient’s choice whom information may be shared with (Beemsterboer, 2010, p. 50). It could also be argued that it is a violation of the principle of nonmaleficence.... [tags: Dental Hygiene Ethics ]
1560 words (4.5 pages)
- Growing up, most oral hygiene habits are developed early in life, it is very important that from day one children, teenagers, as well as adults create and practice good oral hygiene habits to avoid the many affects of bad oral hygiene. Taking care of children’s teeth begins after birth. Before most children even have their teeth, parents should begin cleaning their child 's gums from birth with a soft toothbrush or cloth as recommended by The American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry. Doing this helps to keep the baby’s mouth clean as well as helping the baby get accustomed to teeth brushing.... [tags: Oral hygiene, Periodontitis, Dental caries]
1029 words (2.9 pages)
- According to the book, “Clinical Practice of the Dental Hygienist”, a dental hygienist is a dental health specialist whose primary concern is the maintenance of oral health and the prevention of oral disease. A career as a dental hygienist provides a wide range of challenges where in the dentist office, the dental hygienist and dentist work together to meet the oral health needs of their patients. There are many things that dental hygienists do that you may not realize when you think you are just going in to get your teeth cleaned.... [tags: Dental hygienist, Hygiene, Dentistry, Halitosis]
1103 words (3.2 pages)
- Picture a world without dentists or dental hygienists. There would be no one to fix or clean teeth or to educate people on how to take care of their teeth, Which eventually can or will lead to gum diseases and infections and no one wants to live like that. According to David M. Dillion, “Over three out of four people in the United States suffer from different gum disease. It is the main cause of tooth loss in people over the age of 35.” (“Dillon”). Clearly, people are not well educated about the importance of taking care of their teeth which is why having access to a dentist or dental hygienist can be very helpful to help better ones understanding of all the negative effects that can come... [tags: Dental hygienist, Hygiene, Dentistry, Oral hygiene]
1929 words (5.5 pages)
- Many of the chronic diseases that exist in society today develop because children in the United States are not properly educated on the importance of dental hygiene. Educating the younger generation about dental hygiene and dental care allows them to live healthier lives. This creates intellectual decisions concerning their overall health, and will allow future generations to do the same. Numerous researchers and dentists have observed that this topic is a major issue emerging in not only pediatric dentistry but also in general dentistry.... [tags: internet essays]
3128 words (8.9 pages)
- A clinician by profession (2010) and an idealist by nature I believe that life should be lived most effectively. According to me the most effective way to fulfil my personal goals is to take the knowledge I acquire through a Master’s degree in dental hygiene program, and use it in my arsenal to educate people in my community about oral health and its determinants. A career as a dental hygiene instructor for a basic preparation dental hygiene program is my opportunity to not only effectively utilize my leadership skills to facilitate a well coordinated learning milieu for dental hygiene students, but also to advocate various inter related dental hygiene roles such as that of a clinician and... [tags: Health Care]
1039 words (3 pages)
- Brushing teeth is important, but flossing is more effective for those hard to reach spots. According to a recent survey conducted by the Dentists’ Association (2008), found that 51% of americans do not floss their teeth once a day and 10% of Americans never floss (Millar 1). Flossing can prevent tooth decay, gum disease, and also save you some money in the long run. If you haven’t introduced flossing into a daily habit yet. Individuals may want to reconsider the importances of flossing. I have conducted an experiment to floss more often by examining cues, setting routines, and finding a way to reward myself.... [tags: Oral hygiene, Toothbrush, Dental floss]
878 words (2.5 pages)