It was demons that had driven him into the barren wilderness. He had been a long time possessed by evil spirits. He had often made the most blood curdling sounds from deep within his assigned abyss. His cries reverberate across the land. The unclean spirits frequently seized hold of him with maddening force tortured him. He was like a puppet on their strings, being constantly preyed upon by unseen entities. They took great pleasure in making him to cut deep wounds within his flesh with jagged rocks and sharp edged stones.
One day something unusual happened to the possessed man of Gardara. He left his dark tombs and entered the sunlight. He had the most dreadful visage. In a bizarre way he had decided to run nakedly towards the boat that had just landed upon the shore. What did he hope to accomplish by his naked appearance? A closer look revealed a twisted and contorted face with a body that contained many bloody contusions and deep embedded scars. He not only looked hideous, but he even also had a foul smell. He reeked with the stench of death.
The demoniac was on a run, singling out a man w...
... middle of paper ...
...nless they find a man or woman to inhabit. We also learn that an exorcised man might even become worse than when he was first possessed. The story goes on to reveal that seven other spirits more wicked than the first, came along with the first demon and gone back to once exorcised man’s body and made a new home. The last state of the exorcised man became worse than the first state.
It is a fact that we must remember that demons apart from the human body are not at ease but walk about through dry places, seeking rest but finding none. How thirsty they must feel outside someone’s body. Somehow demons attach themselves to a host and remain within them. To find a desirable host, the demons have a criterion to establish residence. It must be empty, swept, and garnished. To them a body meeting these conditions is the most enticing and alluring dwelling place to enter.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Summary of Theories In his book, Anderson (2006) proposes that there are mental illnesses out there that individuals are dealing with, that really has, the characteristics of demonic possession. The problem with secular psychiatry is that they dismiss the idea of demonic possession and categorize the behavior as mentally disturbed. The whole dilemma is that they refusal to acknowledge that an individual can be possessed by demonic spirits. Anderson (2006) takes issue with their thinking and supplies some theological framework in the development of his theory that individuals can and do wrestle with demonic spirits.... [tags: Demon, God, Satanism, Demonic possession]
1081 words (3.1 pages)
- Investigation of Scriptural References We find one hundred and ninety times the Hebrew verb rûm, “to be high, or to be exalted” in the Old Testament. Basically rûm represents either the “state of being on a higher plane,” or the “movement in an upward direction.” The second emphasis represents what is done to the subject or what it does to itself. Like the stormy wind that lifts up the waves of the sea (Ps. 27:5). God is the Most High, the great king over all the earth and exalted far above all gods (Pss.... [tags: Religion Bible]
2894 words (8.3 pages)
- It has always been much speculated, and little doubt exists that the bible was not the work of any single author, but a collection of anecdotes by many. Jews and Christians in their millions believe that the holy texts came directly from god, Hebrews certain that the Pentateuch or Five Books of Moses, ot the Torah is none other than godâs word, even though modern theologians concede that the whole was written by many, who preached diverse ideologies, linguistic styles and indeed a whole range of names for God as they saw the deity.... [tags: Bible, Torah, Criticism of the Bible]
1221 words (3.5 pages)
- ... He uses the example, if David McCullough had made up information for his written biography of Harry Truman then, it would be considered false information but if Charles Dickens’s made up information for his novel, Oliver Twist, it wouldn’t be considered false information because a novel or fictional piece of writing isn’t meant to contain accurate facts. The stories of Luke and Genesis in the Bible are then used as examples of different genres shown throughout the Bible. The passage of Luke explains the story of a man who was robbed and then beaten on his journey from Jerusalem to Jericho.... [tags: Bible, God, Writing, Criticism of the Bible]
771 words (2.2 pages)
- Possession isn’t something you only see in movies, but it can actually happen in real life. There is science behind possession, it’s just the matter of finding all of the right information. A physician by the name of Richard Mead denied the existence of possession in 1749. He believed that there was no such thing as demonic possession, but that people were just mentally ill. Many people have their own different views on possession. Some people believe it to be true and others think that it could just be a mental illness.... [tags: nervous system, satan, power]
977 words (2.8 pages)
- Chapter 1: An Introduction to the Bible This guide is specially written for new Christians, commonly called born again Christians. As we bear in mind that new Christians come into this spiritual journey called Christianity which is to live like Christ, with numerous questions in mind, but don’t know which ones to ask first, or even who to ask these questions to. You need to understand that we are not trying to encourage you more into one religion or another. We are approaching the Bible in the most neutral but instructive way.... [tags: Bible, Christianity, New Testament, Jesus]
1498 words (4.3 pages)
- What then is love. Over the years, society has pondered this question only to arrive to different answers. Who then deserves to be love. Some people love only those who are easy to love. Others, love people who they know will reciprocate their love. According Eagle Vision Ministry, there are different kinds of love: Storge love (love of a parent to child), Eros love (physical love), Phileo love (friendship love), and Agape love (God’s love). Agape love is a unique love that has nothing to do with emotional attachments.... [tags: The Bible]
1864 words (5.3 pages)
- Study the bible. : The Use of Bible Allusions in Literature Biblical references are a technique used in literature by authors to alter readers perceptions. The readers beliefs are challenged by using biblical references in literature. In “The Gospel According to Mark” by Jorge Luis Borges, Borges uses many biblical references to give readers a different view of the main character. With the biblical references being used in “The Gospel According to Mark”, readers are able to portray the main character, Baltasar Espinosa as a Christ-like person.... [tags: Use of Bible Allusions in Literature, Analysis]
1559 words (4.5 pages)
- Pulp Fiction Throughout the movie Pulp Fiction, directed by Quentin Tarantino, there are many hidden references to religion and the Bible. The movie starts off, introducing our two main characters, Vincent Vega and Jules Winnfield, as two cheap hitmen in search of a package belonging to their boss, Marcellus Wallace. The package is retrieved, and they then began their job of returning it to their boss. Along the way, they ran into difficulties, such as Vega's so-called "date" with his boss' wife, Mia, during which she overdosed on heroin, and Vega was forced to take her to the drug dealer's house to save her life, as well as the robbers in the restaurant, who try to take the suitcase fro... [tags: Film Movie Quentin Tarantino Bible Religion]
1642 words (4.7 pages)
- According to Collins the definition of paranormal is, “of or pertaining to the claimed occurrence of an event or perception without scientific explanation” (2014). Paranormal is contradictory in many ways even in its meaning. The prefix “para” is Greek meaning against and in Latin it means for (Harper, 2001). The study of these strange occurrences of the paranormal is parapsychology. Parapsychologists base their studies on cognitive and physical phenomena called extrasensory perception, ability to know what others are thinking, and psychokinesis, the ability to move objects.... [tags: paranormal activity, parapsychology, supernatural]
1590 words (4.5 pages)