Often when people hear the word rape they automatically think male perpetrator and female victim, but men are victims too. At least ten percent of all rape victims are males, that’s equivalent to one out of every thirty-three american males.("Rape crisis center") Even today, even after the definition of rape being changed, there is still a stigma when people hear about men being rape victims. The male victim often feels weak for having been a victim of rape, something he did not choose and could not control. It is more common for male victims to be raped by another male, however females have raped males as well. Over eighty-six percent of all male victims are raped by another male.("Campus advocacy network") Men are even less willing to report their rape if their rapist was a female, because society tells men that they are the more dominant gender.
There are several different forms of rape, power rape, anger rape, and sadistic rape. Power rapists only use enough force to overpower their victim. If they have a weapon they use it only to threaten the victim. They choose their victim based on, vulnerability, accessibility, and availability. Anger rapists use excessive violence, if they have a weapon they will use it. Their victims are unplanned and based on availability. ...
... middle of paper ...
... time in jail. In the end fifteen out of sixteen rapists will walk free thats equivalent to about six percent of rapists who will spend time in jail.
Basu, M. (2012, January 06). U.s. broadens archaic definition of rape. Retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/06/justice/rape-definition-revised/
Campus advocacy network. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.uic.edu/depts/owa/sa_male_survivors.html
Central minnesota sexual assault center. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://cmsac.org/facts-and-statistics/
Healing our past experiences. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.hopesurvivors.org.uk/pg4-rape_effects.html
Rape crisis center. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.rccmsc.org/resources/get-the-facts.aspx
Sexual assault victimization. (2002, February). Retrieved from https://www.ncjrs.gov/ovc_archives/reports/help_series/pdftxt/sexualassaultvictimization.txt
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- 1. Legal definition of rape in 6 countries. Rape in China – According to Wikipedia, rape in china is a common crime that someone acts sexual assault with the victim who doesn’t give consent to sex. However, unfortunately, in china, marital rape and Same-gender rape are not defined as a sexual assault. Rape in USA – From Wikipedia, rape is sexual penetration with using an attacker’s vagina, mouth or anus without victim’s consent. In fact, threating or using any unlawful force to cause death or harm someone also includes among Rape.... [tags: Rape, Sexual intercourse, Sexual assault]
1036 words (3 pages)
- DATE RAPE Introduction I’m assuming that you 've all heard of date rape. Apart from knowing what the physical side of rape is, there are many students who aren 't aware of the facts in depth of what really happens in these circumstances. So today I’m going to briefly talk about this. I‘m sure you’ll all agree with me that it’s quite scary at any time learning about date rape, but so much worse if you become a victim. No one wants to be a victim, so it’s important that we know about the drugs used and furthermore, what to do if you become a victim.... [tags: Rape, Date rape drug, Sexual intercourse]
1011 words (2.9 pages)
- From the time that they’re children, American citizens are taught to associate the words “...Liberty and Justice for all,” with their country. However, there’s at least one group of people being greatly deprived of justice: survivors of rape. It comes as no surprise that approximately sixty-eight percent of rapes are not reported in a country where approximately ninety-eight percent of rapists are never jailed (Rape - Definition, Examples, Cases, Processes). Victims of this horrible crime are going through possibly the worst trauma of their lives, so it’s very difficult for them to want to come forward to law enforcement and somewhat have to relive their trauma, especially given the previou... [tags: Rape, Police, Rape investigation, Rape kit]
1381 words (3.9 pages)
- Rape on College Campuses 1. Introduction “I felt his hands start to move down towards my shorts as if he was trying to unbutton them or pull them off. I was still crying at this point and felt so scared that I couldn’t move” (Henneberger, 2012). These are words written by a college freshman after she had been raped, but they are true for many others as well. According to the Rape Crisis Center of Medina and Summit Counties, “every two minutes someone in the US is sexually assaulted” (Get the Facts).... [tags: Rape, Sexual assault, Sexual intercourse]
1315 words (3.8 pages)
- Imagine a world where robberies can be justified. When a man claims to have been robbed, he is asked a series of questions to justify the legitimacy of the supposed crime. Even if the robbed man names the robber and has proof against said robber, the man who was robbed is never fully believed. “You often give to charity, you probably wanted to be robbed,” he is told. Thus, the robbed man is held responsible for himself being robbed, and the cycle continues with the next victim who says he was robbed.... [tags: Rape, Abuse, Sexual assault, Crimes]
717 words (2 pages)
- This is a paper about rape and prevention programs for rape. I could not find anything about preventing rape locally so found a website that goes in all 50 states. Rape is about power and is a crime that should not be taken lightly(Nemeth,2012). Rape is classified as sexual assault in Arizona and had a lot more detail in it then just rape(Format Document,2012). I could not find anything about rape prevention in bullhead city. But I found the CDC 's Rape Prevention Program(CDC,2014). It is a program where people get educated about rape.... [tags: Rape, Sexual intercourse, Abuse, Sexual assault]
1222 words (3.5 pages)
- What is sexual assault. Sexual assault is, “any type of sexual contact or behavior that occurs without the explicit consent of the recipient. Falling under the definition of sexual assault are sexual activities as forced sexual intercourse, forcible sodomy, child molestation, incest, fondling, and attempted rape” (Sexual Assault). Sexual assault is something very serious and dangerous and can mess a person’s life up both physically and mentally. Females are feeling unsafe on the grounds of places were they are going to get an education to make a dream come true.... [tags: Rape, Human sexual behavior, Sexual intercourse]
995 words (2.8 pages)
- Rape is a form of victimization that is highly underreported. The crime of rape has been denied throughout the ages. Women were believed to secretly desire the prospect of being raped. In addition, there was even the belief that rape was not possible (Pilkington, 2011, Lecture Unit 4). In some ways, this denial of rape has continued within our society. Denial about victimization has only added to the negative feelings rape victims have and why they choose to let their victimization go unreported.... [tags: Date Rape Essays]
1825 words (5.2 pages)
- Defintion Essay - Is it Possible to Define Art. Art is the intentional use of some medium to communicate emotions or ideas between minds. Some combination of the five senses is used to conduct information, so art may take the form of music, painting, sculpture, dance, and others. Art may be collaborative, as with the presentation of a symphony, which may involve a composer, a conductor, players, and a lighting crew all working to create the art of the presentation. Also, art occurs in at least one level of abstraction removed from reality, a representation of the real thing.... [tags: Expository Definition Essays]
611 words (1.7 pages)
- Date rape is not a rare incident. Surveys indicate that in 84% of rape cases, the victim knows the attacker, and 57% of rapes occur on dates (Warshaw 11). However, what is even more surprising than these high statistics is that most incidents of date rape go unreported. Several theories exist that try to explain this phenomenon. For example, many women may refuse to believe that their “friend” raped them. In fact, they could eventually convince themselves that it never happened. Additionally, there is confusion following the attack in which memory and emotions become mixed up.... [tags: The Tragedy of Date Rape]
2293 words (6.6 pages)