OB221 Self-Assessment Reflection Paper
September 26, 2016
For the past seven years, I have been working across the country as a sailing coach. Whenever I’m coaching, I am always learning different things about both the people and me I am coaching. There are various aspects of coaching all of which stem from a series of traits. To coach sailing one needs to be spontaneous, aggressive, supportive, inspiring, organized but most importantly a leader. From when I first started to my most recent position, I have been in both a line position and manager position. (McCarthy). Organized chaos was the trick to the game in this situation. My job required an extensive amount of planning and research just to prepare for one day. We had daily briefings with our weather team and planned amongst our classes. The way the programs are set up is there is a total of fourteen instructors. Amongst those instructors approximately about two to three are in teams which make each team as part of its own (McCarthy). Over the years, I worked myself from a beginner position to most recently being a head coach of a program where I was in-charge of five coaches who each were responsible for approximately thirty children. All while I was doing this I was learning the values of leadership, the effectiveness of motivation, and how to interact with people.
Growing up in Southern California shaped who I am as a person. I grew up with two incredible sisters, two amazing dogs, and two unbelievable parents. The family is at the heart of all my values but what runs a close second is being an extrovert and embracing every day like it is my last. To say my MBTI profile was correct would be a massive...
... middle of paper ...
While writing this paper, I was able to understand who I am as a person and how some things have had such a critical impact on my life. Throughout the semester, I will always be working to improve because I have realized what my strengths and weaknesses are. Since everything has been laid out in the course syllabus, I can only see myself succeeding in this course because I know what objectives I have to accomplish. This essay has made me realized what I am fully capable of achieving with both myself and my team and am looking forward to the rest of the semester.
Briggs, Katharine Cook and Isabella Briggs Meyers. Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator Test.
Dr. McCarthy, Jack. "OB221: The Dynamics of Leading Organizations & People." OB221
Lecture. Questrom School of Business, Boston University, Boston, MA. Powerpoint.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- As an officer in the United States Army, it has been imperative for me to understand every facet of leadership and why it remains important to be an effective leader. During this course, I have learned some valuable lessons about myself as a leader and how I can improve on my leadership ability in the future. The journal entries along with the understanding of available leadership theories have been an integral part of my learning during this course. For all of the journals and assessments that I completed, I feel it has given me a good understanding of my current leadership status and my future potential as a leader.... [tags: Leadership Assessment Paper]
3035 words (8.7 pages)
- California Psychological Inventory 260 Reflection Like the California Psychological Inventory 430 (CPI 430), the California Psychological Inventory 260 (CPI 260) is designed to “furnish information to the interpreter from which a veridical (true-to-life) and useful picture may be drawn of the person taking the test” (Gough & Bradley, 1996, p. 1). A short form of the CPI 430, the CPI 260 was designed for use with businesses and career assessment. It is highly correlated with the CPI 430 and utilizes many of the same items.... [tags: Self-Assessment]
878 words (2.5 pages)
- Introduction: In this paper I critically reflect on five different self-assessments: locus of control (LOC), emotional intelligence (EI), listening self-inventory, team member type and conflict management. Throughout my discussion, I focus on their correlations and apply the gathered information to my work-life experiences. I will also provide a systematic assessment of each of these questionnaires. This evaluation will address any possible weaknesses I had found within the tests and prepare my final conclusions based upon those final educated results.... [tags: Self Reflection]
1757 words (5 pages)
- Psych 356: Reflection Paper The topic that I have found most intriguing in this class so far is the idea of fixed vs. growth mindset, as discussed in the motivation lectures and the Dweck (2007) reading. As Dweck (2007) states, these two mindsets refer to the way in which we view intelligence. On one hand, a fixed mindset posits that intelligence is an innate characteristic and that we cannot do much to change it. For many students, a fixed mindset is demotivating because it implies that they cannot improve their intelligence.... [tags: Motivation, Educational psychology, Education]
999 words (2.9 pages)
- REFLECTION PAPER During the course of this class, I have learned a lot about stress and how it affects different aspects of our lives as human beings. Stress management to me refers to the different techniques and other controlling factors that helps regulate or control a person’s level of stress, in other to improve their everyday functioning. The key concepts that has impacted me so far in the course are as follow; MINDFULNESS: According to (Olpin & Hesson , 2015, p. 99) “Mindfulness is commonly defined as the state of being attentive to and aware of what is taking place in the present.... [tags: Emotion, Psychology, Thought, Mind]
2665 words (7.6 pages)
- ... Buckles et al.  argued that clear descriptions of standards of performance are important for informing students what they are expected to learn and how they should performed in their assessed work, and for informing teachers how they can assess students accordingly. For feedback to be effective in enhancing learners’ learning, the organization ought to promote the use of formative assessment to enhance learners’ learning. Firstly, this can be done by having the instructors in playing a critical role in ensuring the clarity of expected performance standards.... [tags: feedback, student, practices, assessment]
2429 words (6.9 pages)
- The following is a self-reflection paper from the information obtained from completing the DISC and JUNG assessments. The assessments both showed me being well rounded and not strongly to any one side or direction for the most part. This fits right in with my personality and gives me faith in the results. Although I did not agree completely with all of the feedback from the test, it is something to take note and to help me be more mindful in my actions and decisions. The DISC assessment gives feedback in both personal strengths and personal values.... [tags: Mind, Psychology, Thought, Personality psychology]
971 words (2.8 pages)
- Leadership Self Reflection Leadership is found not just at work but all around us. In any situation, leaders take a step forward and take charge of the situation. It can be at home, at work or at any other place. Leaders are never born, they become leaders because they have the credibility and people would love to follow them. This paper describes about my leadership strengths and areas for growth/future study. It also included how these qualities are used in my daily work routine, self-assessment results and a brief explanation on Individual style in leadership.... [tags: character, temperament, qualities]
993 words (2.8 pages)
- Video Interview and Reflection Paper This paper will cover the reflection on a class interview for a senior social worker intern. The teacher gave every student ten minutes to complete the interview. The social worker intern was prepared for the interview. She found out her scenario just minutes before the interview. This paper will focus on the limits of confidentiality for the client, potential assessment for the client, engagement with the client, and evaluation of the social worker. Scenario The story was about a social worker intern who was placed in the hospital emergency room.... [tags: Child abuse, Sociology, Social work]
1471 words (4.2 pages)
- A Full Time Job Describe In preparation for this reflection paper, I read the texts, reflected on my life experiences, and then identified the following key theme. David Shipler’s “The Working Poor,” The fact that people in the social welfare system do work at menial jobs and not necessarily because they are required by welfare to do so, shows that most people do want to contribute and be a part of working society. While reading the about the families in New Hampshire, I was reminded of the classism that occurred between the two worlds of rich and poor.... [tags: Reflection Paper ]
1550 words (4.4 pages)