Banks hold some of the most personal information about its customers. Although it may seem like just another daily transaction on one’s bank statement, this is a very useful piece of data for banks. Traditionally, banks were used to store customer’s money and allow access at a customer’s demand. The banking industry has evolved tremendously in that it now offers any type of financial product a customer may need. A customer can establish a myriad of financial products such as a credit card, a mortgage, an auto loan, an insurance policy, and investment accounts all within one financial institution. A lot of information must be gathered by customers in order to establish the different types of products offered. This is where the concept of big data plays a big role in banking. Because banks’ capability to establish multiple accounts for multiple products for a customer, big data has made its way into the world of financial services. According to an article by bankingtech.com, “the value of Big Data to the retail banking industry is estimated at more than £6 billion ($8.5 billion) over the next five years.”
Another concept to consider is the Internet of Things in the banking industry. Mobile applications and online banking were some of the first developments were just some of the few. Banking is moving forward with this concept and new ideas have began to surface in the industry. For example, it has been documented by multiple sources that there is a smart refrigerator in the works that will allow customers to order their groceries via the refrigerator. Another more complex concept has been the idea of block chain. Block chain, in its simplest form, creates permanent time stamps of transactions by in...
... middle of paper ...
...iness and customer.
The second challenge is security best practices for non-relational data stores. As mentioned by the study, “companies dealing with big unstructured data sets may benefit by migrating from a traditional relational database to a NoSQL database in terms of accommodating huge volume of data.” The article goes on to mention that because these databases don 't have a focus on security, the company needs to review security policies and make sure they have a plan to mitigate and reduce security incidents.
The third challenge is to secure data storage and transaction logs. A concept called auto-tiering, automatically stores data in its specific tier and makes it easily available. The challenge is that many companies may not know where a piece of data is stored since it is all done automatically.
The fourth challenge is end-point input validation/filtering.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- This paper will demonstrate the gap between traditional financial institutions and alternative financial services in vulnerable communities. In the past decade, low-income communities such as Baltimore City and the individuals who reside there have experienced limited access to financial services, affordable credit, and investment capital through traditional financial institutions. This is also known as “redlining” and today this limitation continues persistence of discriminatory lending practices in Baltimore city.... [tags: Financial services, Bank, Insurance]
2874 words (8.2 pages)
- Citigroup PDW: Developing a Global Payment Data Warehouse MIS600 – Information Systems Capstone December 15, 2013 Table of Contents Project Value Statement 3 Project Strategy Statement 4 Figure 1: Sample Weekly Progress Report 5 Cost/Financial Assumptions 6 Success/Risks Criteria 6 System Alternative Assessment 6 Table 1: Citigroup PDW Investment Payback Analysis 9 Table 2: Citigroup PDW Feasibility Matrix 10 Attachment A – Payback Analysis 11 Table 3: Option 1 – Do Nothing Payback Analysis Table 4: Option 2 – Technology Refresh Payback Analysis 13 Table 5: Option 3 – Redevelop Application Payback Analysis 13 References 14 Project Value Statement As one of the nation’s larges... [tags: Citigroup, methodology, financial data, bank]
1964 words (5.6 pages)
- Possible Career Fields One of the hardest decisions in life is deciding what career path you think would be best for you. In the future, I would love to become an accountant. Accounting seems like a good match for me because I enjoy math while I also have good organization and time management skills. Two careers in the accounting field that I am interested in are: being a Financial Analysts or a Personal Financial Advisor. When choosing a career, important factors to considered are education and/or licenses requirements, skill requirements, salary, and the work environment.... [tags: Investment, Finance, Financial services]
1069 words (3.1 pages)
- Over history financial advisors have played a very important role in society by handling the money of all different types of people, rich or poor, through depressions as well as economic booms. These advisors help people retire and save for events in life that are expected as well as unexpected and are ingrained in a society with ever-changing wants and needs. However, what if the same services that a human financial advisor can be made so that they are cheaper to use and can better predict market volatility.... [tags: Investment, Finance, Financial adviser]
1536 words (4.4 pages)
- Every Number Tells a Story Financial statements can provide a wealth of information about a given organization. These statements provide information about the company’s financial position, cash flows, operations, performance and changes in the financial position. This information may be used as part of the decision making process for employees, shareholders, investors and competitors. Based upon these financial statements, key ratios are used to provide additional insight as to the financial health of a given company.... [tags: Income statement, Financial statements, Cash flow]
880 words (2.5 pages)
- SECTOR-1 (BANKING & FINANCE INDUSTRY SECTOR) INDUSTRY ANALYSIS: INRODUCTION: Indian banking and financial services industry is strong and robust among the world economies. Over the previous years, financial markets have witnessed a significant deepening and broadening of services with the introduction of new instruments and products in banking, capital markets space and insurance. Insurance Sector: The life insurance sector collected new business premiums of Rs 11,742.7 crore (1.92 billion USD) for April-May 2013, as per the data from Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority.... [tags: capital, invesments, equity]
1795 words (5.1 pages)
- In December 2013, Target was attacked by a cyber-attack due to a data breach. Target is a widely known retailer that has millions of consumers flocking every day to the retailer to partake in the stores wonders. The Target Data Breach is now known as the largest data breach/attack surpassing the TJX data breach in 2007. “The second-biggest attack struck TJX Companies, the parent company of TJMaxx and Marshall’s, which said in 2007 that about 45 million credit cards and debit cards had been compromised.” (Timberg, Yang, & Tsukayama, 2013) The data breach occurred to Target was a strong swift kick to the guts to not only the retailer/corporation, but to employees and consumers.... [tags: cyber attack, data breach, hackers]
1217 words (3.5 pages)
- I am writing to apply for the financial accountant position, as advertised on linkedIn. The reason why I apply for this role is I am interested in NOVA Entertainment and I hope I can have the opportunity to learn more about NOVA Entertainment and the media industry. Introduction I completed my Bachelor of Business degree at the University of Tasmania. After the completion of the degree, I accepted membership of the Golden Key Honour Society, which is only awarded to students in the top 15% of their discipline.... [tags: Auditing, Audit, Financial audit]
1291 words (3.7 pages)
- In our society the role of accounting continues to have an impact on our daily lives whether it is budgeting our homes, managing a business, or investing. In every aspect of business we are surrounded by decisions that circulates around the concepts of accounting. Accounting has gained the reputation of being the language of business. I believe that accounting has earned this reputation due to its function of being an information system that measures financial activities, assist in data reporting, and the measuring of performance within a business (Harrison, 2014).... [tags: Financial statements, Income statement]
1686 words (4.8 pages)
- Marketing Financial Services INTRODUCTION SECTION 1: Identify and review some of the strategies that the company uses to deal with the difficulties presented by the specific features of financial services marketing. SECTION 2: What market segmentation approaches does the company use and how effective do you think these are. SECTION 3: In what ways do the forces within the Macro OR the Micro marketing environment affect the company's ability to market its products successfully.... [tags: Papers]
2525 words (7.2 pages)