January 1, 2016
Cognitive Software Design
The objectives and main findings of this paper is, the overview of decision trees. Decision tree techniques have been used to build models that are closely compared to the human reasoning and that are easily understood (Kotsiantis, 2013). A decision tree is shaped like a tree to determine a course of action or a probability of a statistic and each branch will represent a decision or an occurrence. If you have a complex problem a decision tree can be used to clarify and find an answer. Over the years many decision tree algorithms have been developed including C4.5 (Kotsiantis, 2013). There have been studies done that show that C4.5 has both a combination of error rate and speed. Also this paper will cover basic issues, splitting measures, multivariate splits, controlling decision tree complexity, pruning, feature selection, decision tree characteristics, handling special problems with decision trees, handling very large datasets with decision trees, handling cost-sensitive problems with decision trees, handling concept drifts with decision trees, handling uncertain data with decision trees, handling ordinal classifications with decision trees, handling multi-instance data with decision trees, hybrid methods, fuzzy decision tree algorithms, and ensembles of decision trees (Kotsiantis, 2013).
There are two major procedures which a decision tree is made, the building (induction), and the classification (inference). You start the building process by starting with an empty tree and selecting the right node for the test attribute using the attribute selection measure. The idea is to use the attribute that will reduce the amount...
... middle of paper ...
...he information either cases or certain components from being considered by the search algorithm.
• Making an interpretation of the tree structure into another information structure, for example, an arrangement (Kotsiantis, 2013).
As mentioned earlier there are weaknesses of decision trees, and they are, increased storage, increased computation, all classifiers must be processed, and decreased comprehensibility, with involvement of multiple classifiers in decision-making, it is more difficult for non-expert users to perceive the underlying reasoning process leading to a decision (Kotsiantis, 2013).
Kotsiantis, S. B. (2013). Decision trees: A recent overview. The Artificial Intelligence Review, 39(4), 261–283. Retrieved from http://www.thecampuscommon.com/library/ezproxy/ticketdemocs.asp?sch=auo&turl=http://search.proquest.com/docview/1317666743
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Predictive Analysis Predictive analysis can be defined as an exercise of extracting the information from existing data in order to predict something important about future. Different predictive models and analysis are used to predict future which can be applied to different business to analyze something about current data and historical facts in order for getting better understanding about customers, products and partners and to identify possible risks and opportunities. It uses a number of techniques, including data mining, statistical modeling and machine learning to help analysts make future business forecasts.... [tags: Decision tree, Tree, Decision trees, Data mining]
1671 words (4.8 pages)
- ... Even though some problems are less important than others, it is vital that mangers do not under consider these problems and do not make haste decisions. A lot of managers believe that the faster they make decisions, the better manager they are. It is better to fully research and understand the problem and carefully consider solutions (Wiley, YEAR p.107). After the real problem has been identified and diagnosed, the next step is to develop some solutions. One of the best things to do is brainstorm possible solutions.... [tags: Problem solving, Decision theory, Decision making]
1715 words (4.9 pages)
- Weyerhaeuser Weyerhaeuser is a company that is based solely on trees. Literally every aspect of the company is based around producing, cutting, studying benefits, or has something to do with trees. The local brand here is magnolia is focused exclusively on the process of seeds, planting of seeds, and relocation of saplings. They have orders placed with them and in turn place orders to get what seed they do not already grow and produce. They turn the seed they get or already have and start a baby tree and resale or plant those trees.... [tags: a pioneer in the tree industry]
873 words (2.5 pages)
- Throughout the segment for this book, I was introduced to many projects that helped me develop a better understanding of the plot and how different perspectives of the Chinese population were displayed through the characters, especially the heroes. I was allowed to choose this topic as one of my research projects in which I looked at Confucius texts and read about filial piety in order to understand one of the many factors that influenced the characters: family. These family values can be attributed to the deep-rooted culture in China, the Four Olds: Old Customs, Old Cultures, Old Habits, and Old Ideas.... [tags: Use of Heroes, Chinese Population, Literature]
1536 words (4.4 pages)
- ... One way to alleviate the concerns of parents might be to stream the video through a site like “Clear Play”, which offers consumers legally edited versions of major Hollywood releases. Clear Play edits out profanity, nudity and extreme violence. Any discussions about such divisive issues as racism would require a great deal of scaffolding and preparation. Paramount would be modeling for students the skill of disagreeing without being disagreeable, a skill many students find challenging. Otherwise what could have been a promising discussion will devolve into a shouting match or an ugly debate.... [tags: Decision theory, Decision tree]
703 words (2 pages)
- Holy Rebellion People are faced with the decision to conform or rebel every day. Conformity can be seen when we follow the rules and guidelines set forth by a higher authority. Rebellion, on the other hand, is shown when we go against those rules and guidelines. Rebellion can be as simple as not following a school dress code to publicly protesting a specific issue. Sometimes an act of rebellion can be revealed in a religious setting. John Donne’s “Holy Sonnets: “If Poisonous Minerals, And If That Tree” alludes to the book of Genesis to help reveal truths about conformity and rebellion such as the sacrifices people must make, morals that help one make decisions, and the appropriateness to co... [tags: Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve, Serpent, Morality]
1243 words (3.6 pages)
- Remote Sensing is a technology that can offer data and information across an extremely broad range of topics, making it an invaluable tool to researchers, scientists, and many people across the world today. One such invaluable use of remote sensing is in the application of forestry. In the past, scientists used to collect data on the ground from a relatively small section of a forest, and assume that their data would be an accurate representation of the forest as a whole. Today, studying forests hands-on is mostly done as ground truthing for data originally collected by remote sensing.... [tags: Severe Deforestation, Infected Trees]
2569 words (7.3 pages)
- LONDON’S TREE NURSERY Model Problem Solving London’s Nursery is a business that grows and sells evergreen trees. Here lately London’s has been looking into purchasing some new land in order to be able to grow some additional trees. This new land purchase will just be intended for the production of Colorado Blue Spruce trees and Concolor Fir trees. The London’s are looking at a section of land that is ten acres big. Before London’s decides to buy this land they want to know the amount of profits that they will be able to make off the land with the two different types of trees.... [tags: essays research papers]
2179 words (6.2 pages)
- The Bean Tree Write a composition based on the novel you have studied discussing the basis for and impact of individual choices. What idea does the author develop regarding choices. 	Living is about making choices. The choices people make shape their lives for better or worse. Even the decision not to choose has its effects, often not wanted. But the individual who chooses to make positive choices and to act accordingly is more likely to see his or her life reflect his or her beliefs and desires.... [tags: essays research papers]
1133 words (3.2 pages)
- Using the New French Prusik Knot in the International Tree Climbing Championship The hot topic of conversation among tree climbers at the 1997 ISA Conference in Salt Lake City was the "new French Prusik" knot. It was somewhat controversial since the International Tree Climbing Championship committee was faced with the decision of whether to allow its use in competition. It had been previously disallowed in 1995. In actuality, the knot has been around in arboriculture for awhile. In 1993 I had the good fortune to be one of the Americans to attend the first European Congress on Tree Care in Lahnstein, Germany.... [tags: Papers]
2850 words (8.1 pages)