Match fixing has effected the respect and integrity of the game of football for years. Match fixing has been happening for years, but recently it has become a bigger issue. In older times, this has happened only occasionally. The first known offense of Match fixing was in 1915. English players from both sides met to discuss fixing the match because they thought it would be a great way to make a quick buck during the First World War. There was a shortage of money and this caused the players to make bets on the game they were going to play in. The players who were not involved in this scandal were infuriated with their teammates. They threatened not to join them on the pitch in the second half. The players involved were of course suspended. One of the most infamous match fixers in history is the 1960s Inter Milan coach Dezso Solti. He was known for fixing various matches in the 1964 and 1965 European Cups, as well as countless games against Italian teams in the Italian league. The method he used to fix a game was to have a referee join him at a hotel and as said by Miguel Delaney “lay out bundles of cash and maybe the keys to expensive cars, and make a few implications” (1). These implications could determine whether important calls were made or not.
To make improvements in football, ridding the game of match fixing is the best option. Match fixing isn’t getting better, it is o...
... middle of paper ...
...as Bet on Billericay than Barcelona." The Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group, 06 Oct. 0028. Web. 14 Mar. 2014.
source. Web. 24 Feb. 2014.
Andy, Hodgson. "SECURITY CHIEF SAYS ARRESTS FOR 'MATCH-FIXING' ARE WAKE-UP CALL." Evening Standard 28 Nov. 2013: 94. Newspaper Source. Web. 24 Feb. 2014
Brown, Oliver. "Why Match-fixing Threatens to Corrupt Football’s Soul." The Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group, 29 May 0019. Web. 03 Mar. 2014
James, Olley. "we'll never eradicate match fixing, says wenger." Evening Standard 29 Nov. 2013: 98. Newspaper Source. Web. 24 Feb. 2014.
13. Web. 1 Ingle, Sean. "Football Match-fixing Is No Surprise – What We Need Now Are Solutions." The Guardian. Guardian News and Media, 11 Feb. 20Hannah, Gardner. "Football Bosses Jailed In Match-Fixing Crackdown." Times, The (United Kingdom) (2012): 25. Newspaper Source. Web. 24 Feb. 20144 Mar. 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Football is a sport that has two definitions depending where you are from. For example, in most countries they think soccer but, in the United States they think American football. Despite which one you refer too, they both have loyal fans that cheer for their teams no matter what. These two sports excite people whether it’s the super bowl or the world cup. Although they have the same name in common there are many other similarities as well as differences. Soccer has many similarities with American football such as the way the game begins, ends, and is played.... [tags: American football, Association football, Football]
987 words (2.8 pages)
- Basketball is a sport that requires hands and soccer is a sport that require legs. They similar because both require players to pass around the ball and score. And why are they different. Because you can only use your hands in a basketball game, whereas you can only use your foot and your body in a soccer match. Roller hockey and Ice hockey is another pair of sports that are similar but still different, because roller hockey plays on normal floor, whereas, ice hockey is played on ice floor. They are still the similar sport and play style.... [tags: American football, Football, Rugby union]
1090 words (3.1 pages)
- Football Safety The National Football League was formed on August 20, 1920. Players wore pads, not quite as protective as the ones today, helmets and legs pads. Even though their protective gear wasn 't all that protective they still made contact with the players of the opposing teams. As the years progressed the league made many changes to the rules due to player safety. They invented better protective gear for the players and they also made more strict rules regarding playing guidelines. The main goal of those rules, like the targeting rule that is so controversial today, is to protect the players.... [tags: American football, National Football League]
1803 words (5.2 pages)
- Opening statement: “The second presidential debate resembled a WWE match” (Carah Ong Whaley). Over sixty nine million people witnessed one of the most hostile presidential debates in TV history. Aggressive negative attacks left viewers from both sides uncomfortable at certain points throughout the debate, however other viewers seemed to be satisfied that the negatives of each candidate were being brought up substantially more than the first debate. Many viewers were surprised by the vicious back and forth engagement that took place in this debate.... [tags: President of the United States, Bill Clinton]
924 words (2.6 pages)
- Football too many Americans is the sport in which an oval shaped ball is thrown to another person in order to score a touchdown. But if you ask anywhere else in the world what football is, they might responded that it is the world’s best sport, and that there home team or favorite team is the best there is. Both sports share a name but other than that they are both two very different beings. Both sports have some kind of governing body that regulates and upholds rules that are set in place. Football has the FIFA (International Federation of Association Football) and American football has the NFL (National Football League).... [tags: American football, Football]
1032 words (2.9 pages)
- In recent discussions of college football sensation Leonard Fournette, a topic of heated debate has been rather football players should be required to attend college before entering the N.F.L. The current rule in place requires that players be at least three years out of highschool(Knowlton). This generally means that high school players must attend college for a few years before going to the N.F.L. One side of the argument is that this rule should not be in place because it prevents able athletes from joining as well as puts their dreams a risk as they could potentially suffer a career ending injury in college.... [tags: American football, Football, Player]
1220 words (3.5 pages)
- “I’ve learnt from Anand but I think I showed him in a way that although he has taught me many things in the past, now it’s probably my turn to teach him.” These were Magnus Carlsen’s exact words after defeating Vishwanathan Anand in the FIDE World Chess Championship Match that was recently held in Chennai. The final scoreline read Carlsen-6.5 : Anand-3.5. Carlsen won 3 games and 7 games were drawn. Anand couldn’t muster a single victory. But these statistics do not in any way capture the true persona of the legend that is Vishwanathan Anand.... [tags: chess, player, match]
679 words (1.9 pages)
- ... At first Gogol despised his culture and tried to do everything possible to get away from it. Previous girls Gogol dated were never Indian. He was initially attracted to American girls. The fact that they were completely diverse from his culture is what captured his attention. Dating someone who wasn’t closely related to his culture was an unthinkable thing to do in Bengali society, so it made Gogol’s reason to disobey flourish even more because to him it was exciting and exotic. Very similar to Nikhil, Moushumi also wanted to be as far away as possible with her Bengali roots.... [tags: relationships, ideal, match, marriage]
649 words (1.9 pages)
- Contents Cover 1 1 Are you ready for some football? 3 Supplies 4 Computer with a stable Internet Connection 4 Email Address 4 Getting Started 5 Choose a Website 5 Register 6 Types of Fantasy Leagues 7 Roster 8 Positions 8 Draft Day 9 Team Pick Order 9 Position Priority 9 Rules 11 Scoring 11 Managing your Roster 12 Free Agency 12 Trades 12 Playoffs 14 Summary 15 Sources Cited 16 Index 17 Are you ready for some football. Fantasy football is a rapidly growing online game played by those who share a love of professional football.... [tags: National Football League, American football]
2678 words (7.7 pages)
- Football As a football fan, like you I hold the magnificent game close to my heart. I have been a loyal supporter of my local team since I was a young child. I even remember now the first game I witnessed and the amazing feelings that rushed through my veins as the crowd chanted and roared. We’ve all felt this, and it is what is so great about the game of football. With football there are ups and there are downs, just like any other game, but unlike most other sports there are huge injustices week in and week out.... [tags: Papers]
630 words (1.8 pages)
- Information Driven Network Architecture for Interconnected Smart Things
- Carol Travis and Elliot Aronson's Book Review: Justifying our Actions
- The Double Helix Possesses All: Privacy Issues in the US
- An Analysis of The McKinsey 7-S Framework Model
- The Different Types of Vampires Throughout History
- An Analysis of the Populist and Progressive Era