Prayer and/or counseling is being driven by groups like the National Organization for Marriage (NOM), Republicans, and religious groups such as Christians. The National Organization for Marriage was established in 2007 to feed the increasing need for an organized opposition to same-sex marriage in state legislatures. NOM operates as a national source for marriage-related issues at local and state levels. They are a non-profit organization that was created to stop the legal recognition and acceptance of same-sex marriages, civil unions, and domestic partnerships. Other pro-family organizations have educated the public about the importance of family and marriage. But, they ultimately lacked the organization and the national presence needed to effect local and state politics in a harmonizing and lasting fashion. Their view of homosexuality is that: “gays and lesbians have a right to live as they choose, they don‘t have the right to redefine marriage for all of us.”
Christian’s strategy is prayer and/or counseling. This would consist of, the Bible’s strategy to “Repent, and get your life in order.” Another, strategy that...
... middle of paper ...
... Homosexuality." Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. Web. 3 Feb. 2011.
Goodman, Josh. "A Referendum on Gay Marriage in an Iowa Special Election?" Web log post. GOVERNING: State Government News on Politics, Management & Finance. 31 Aug. 2009. Web. 2 Feb. 2011.
The National Organization for Marriage (NOM). Web. 1 Feb. 2011.
"National Organization for Marriage." Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. Web. 2 Feb. 2011.
"Preserving Traditional Marriage." RNC: Republican National Committee | RNC: Republican National Committee | GOP. Web. 3 Feb. 2011.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In today’s society, it is impossible to go two weeks without seeing a headline detailing a recently proposed law regarding same-sex marriages or a news report depicting a mildly influential individual being publicly crucified for expressing degrading comments about homosexuality. Despite the commotion that surrounds the issue, I believe that it is not that complicated of a topic. Personally, I believe that the dispute should be separated into two distinct situations with two distinct solutions. On one hand, you have a political debate.... [tags: same-sex marriage, homosexuality in the church]
1115 words (3.2 pages)
- On May the eighth of this year, the Conference of United States Religious Leaders and Ministers was held in Chicago, Illinois. The conference is an annual event coordinated by church leaders who each send a representative to take part in the discussions. Father Gregory McAllister of the Diocese of Arlington traveled to Chicago to attend the conference and share his knowledge. He spoke on behalf of the Catholic Church, while ministers and clergy from various religions from across the country also shared their views on the topics discussed.... [tags: Catholic Church, Religion, Homosexualism]
2080 words (5.9 pages)
- A word “Homosexual” have always been there from the beginning but it was hidden somewhere due to the lack of person’s knowledge in old era, for example we still have some ancient mythologies of 18th century where in the abstract we could clearly see a homosexual conductance. It’s been hyped and disclosed by the media and then it spread later on. But even in today’s fast world there are also few people who feel ashamed of claiming there selves a homosexual because they think it’s something inappropriate, but research has proven this kind of feeling could also change their interests into a normal straight person.... [tags: Homosexuality, Sexual intercourse, Religion]
769 words (2.2 pages)
- John Corvino claims that homosexual people, as well as all people in a relationship, should have sex. Sex allows for the unification of couples by nurturing communication, romantic ties, and happiness within the relationship. Corvino then goes on to defend his claim and homosexuality. One argument that opponents use is that homosexual sex is “unnatural.” If the definition of unnatural means something unusual, homosexual sex could be considered unnatural, however, this is completely untrue. Some people claim homosexuality is immoral because animals do not practice homosexuality.... [tags: Homosexuality, Sexual intercourse]
737 words (2.1 pages)
- Homosexuality is out of the norm in the society compared to heterosexuality, which is the sexual preference that is always portrayed to be the good one. In the Catholic religion there has always been a debate whether if God is against or not about homosexuality. Homosexuality is not against God. By analyzing Bible passages that mentions homosexuality, Jesus’ teachings, Christian ethics, and surveys taken in workplace that shows discrimination against homosexuality, then it will become evident that God is not opposed to homosexuality.... [tags: Homosexuality, Sexual orientation, Christianity]
1598 words (4.6 pages)
- Over the last several decades, gay rights have been a growing topic in the public and in the court rooms. Recently, the debate about gays having the right or ability to parent has become a hot topic, due to the expanding gay community. There are typically two stances taken on the topic of gay parenting: it’s wrong and should be illegal or it’s normal and should be legal. While the norms, stereotypes and debates about gay parenting have varied over the years, today there seems to be a positive consensus when it comes to the beliefs about children being raised by homosexuals.... [tags: Homosexuality, Parenting]
1154 words (3.3 pages)
- Over the years, there has been a debate whether homosexuality is due to nature or nurture. In other words, are you born gay, or do you become gay. Scientists look into its background and origins of homosexuality. Some believe it is developmental or some have even tried to diagnose a disorder back originally. There are many valid points to either side that can be discussed and much information to be researched about this topic. On one hand, people may say that you are born gay due to your genetic makeup because they always seem to know that they have been gay; on the other hand some people may argue that your surroundings sway you to become gay because some people may not come out until their... [tags: Homosexuality, argumentative, persuasive]
849 words (2.4 pages)
- Homosexuality (the tendency to be more sexually attracted to the same sex) is often confused with homosexual behavior (acting on homosexuality by engaging in homosexual acts), but the two are distinctly different. Even though homosexual behavior, especially in more recent years, has become an acceptable standard in our society it is a voluntary act and a sin, but the church has the ongoing responsibility and God-given call to love our neighbors, regardless of their sin because we too are all sinners.... [tags: Homosexuality, argumentative, persuasive]
905 words (2.6 pages)
- Authority in Lisa Cahill’s “Homosexuality The most difficult part of any modern theological debate is choosing the authority. With the variety of Christian denominations, individual thinkers, and outside influences, and it is often difficult to reach a general agreement. In her essay, “Homosexuality: A Case Study in Moral Argument,” Catholic theologian Lisa Cahill examines four major authorities and different ways to determine how they work together to produce a cohesive Christian ethic. Though she fails to give a definitive, quantifiable method of describing the interactions between the authorities, her final judgment, approval of some aspects of homosexuality, indicates that she values... [tags: Christianity Religion Homosexuality Essays]
1158 words (3.3 pages)
- Homosexuality My frustration with debate about homosexuality stems not so much from the arguments themselves, but the actual method of argument. Often, two “experts” will approach the topic from two radically different “expert” fields. One may be a New Testament scholar and thus draws out the intricacies of Romans 1:18-28 and the true meaning of the word “homosexual offender” (i.e. older man sleeping with a young boy) in that case. The other may be a biologist who appeals to natural logic and reproduction to defend sex as a behavior meant for heterosexuals.... [tags: Gay Lesbian Homosexual Essays]
1070 words (3.1 pages)