Analysis of database management and information retrieval systems
Differentiate between database management system and information retrieval system by focusing on their functionalities. (up to one page)
Database Management System Information Retrieval System
Database management system is a computer program designed to manage a large set of structured data.
Information Retrieval System is an activity that will obtain information resources that has been saved in database.
The data need to be saved in database so that user can access the database anytime they want.
This system often use in the library for searching books or in other department for use in searching data.
Database management system often used in large company, however not only with large amount of data, a small amount of data can also be saved in database, which concludes that small company can also use this Database Management System.
Commonly known application that implements the information retrieval system nowadays is a web based search website that everybody uses for example Google, Yahoo! Search, Bing and many more.
Highlight the differences between data and information. (up to one page)
Data is a collection of information that is formatted in different types.
While information is a notification from which data is obtained.
All software has divided in two general category, which is data and programs.
Information can also be found in the message content or observation, either directly or indirectly.
Programs is a collection of instructions that will manipulated a data. Data also can exist in variety of form that is as a number or text in a piece of paper or a b...
... middle of paper ...
(Database Management System)
(Information Retrieval System)
(Information Retrieval System)
(Definition of Structured data)
(What is unstructured data)
(Structured data vs unstructured data)
• http://computer-dbms.blogspot.com/2011/09/components-of-dbms.html (dbms blog)
• http://nlp.stanford.edu/IR-book/pdf/irbookonlinereading.pdf ( An Introduction to Information Retrieval)
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- TABLE CONTENT NO Topic 1) Differentiate between database management system and information retrieval system by focusing on their functionalities. 2) Highlight the differences between data and information. 3) Make appropriate use of diagrams to illustrate the underlying concepts/components of database management system and information retrieval system. 4) Differentiate between structured and non structured data. 5) references QUESTION 1 Database is a collection of programs that enables users to create and maintain data.... [tags: structured and non structured data]
1826 words (5.2 pages)
- QUESTION 1 Differentiate between database management system and information retrieval system by focusing on their functionalities. Database Management Systems or in short form called DBMS is the major component in most of the information systems. DBMS is the basic system been used in the information system. Or in the other name, DBMS is the traditional way. The Information Retrieval System or IRS is the extended function from the DBMS thus we can explain it here that IRS is came from the DBMS. There will be some differences between Database Management System and Information Retrieval System in the functionalities and uses.... [tags: relational dbms, storage, data]
1078 words (3.1 pages)
- ... Data Integrity This function is reducing the problem of data integrity such as minimize the data redundancy – same data are stored in more than one place within the database without purpose, and maximize the consistency of data – make sure that the user are retrieve the correct/same data or answer when the same question/task being ask. The DBMS can also ensure that only one user can update the data at one time. > With this function, IRS able to analyze the queries from user and then characterize the item in the form that matching the database.... [tags: computer programs, data security]
1132 words (3.2 pages)
- Table of Content No Topic Page 1. Differentiate between database management system and information retrieval system by focusing on their functionalities. 2. Highlight the differences between data and information. 3. Make appropriate use of diagrams to illustrate the underlying concepts/components of database management system and information retrieval system. 4. Differentiate between structured and non-structured data. Give examples for each. 5. Reference Question 1 Database Management System (DBMS) is a program that use by one or more computer users for create and access data to in a database or a set of software tools that control access, organize, store up... [tags: technology, DBMS, programming]
2613 words (7.5 pages)
- 1. DIFFERENCES BETWEEN DATABASE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM AND INFORMATION RETRIEVAL SYSTEM DATABASE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (DBMS) INFORMATION RETRIEVAL SYSTEM (IRS) DBMS offer advance Data Modelling Facility (DMF) including Data Definition Language and Data Manipulation Language for modelling and manipulating data. IRS do not offer an advance DMF. Usually data modelling in IRS is restricted to classification of objects. Data Definition Language of DBMS is the capability to define the data integrity constraints. In IRS such validation mechanisms are less developed.... [tags: raw data, unstructured data]
1108 words (3.2 pages)
- 1. Differentiate between database management system and information retrieval system by focusing on their functionalities. Database management system Information retrieval Database management system can provide access to all of the data, alleviating many of the problems associated with data file environment, and data can be shared among data users. Information retrieval can provide the techniques of storing and recovering data and often disseminating Recorded Especially through the use of a computerized system storage techniques and recovery and often disseminate especially through the use of recorded computer data.... [tags: files, functionalities, components, frameworks]
1527 words (4.4 pages)
- Relational Database Management System for a Cloud Application Lakisha Griffin University of Maryland University College Abstract While a lot of research is currently taking place in technology itself, there is an equally critical requirement for understanding the cloud computing issues. This paper examines “database-as-a-service” (DBaaS) called Relational Cloud. “A DBaaS promises to move much of the operational burden of provisioning, configuration, scaling, performance tuning, backup, privacy, and access control from the database users to the service operator, offering lower overall costs to users.” (Curino, 2011) Database management systems that control web application... [tags: SQL, Database management system, Database]
1802 words (5.1 pages)
- 1. Differentiate Between Database Management System And Information Retrieval System By Focusing On Their Functionalities. Database Management System According to Modern Database Management eight edition, by Jeffrey A. Hoffer, Mary B. Prescott and Fred R. McFadden database management system (DBMS) is define as a software system that is used to create, maintain, and provide controlled access to user databases. Support Concurrent Updates Concurrent updates occur when various users make updates to the database at the same time.... [tags: IT Essays]
1964 words (5.6 pages)
- Relational and Object-oriented Database Management Systems A database is a “shared collection of logically related data designed to meet the information needs of multiple users in an organization” (Hoffer 709). Databases contain data records or files, such as sales transactions, product catalogs and inventories, and customer profiles. Databases allows multiple users in an organization to easily access, manage, store, and update data when needed. A database management system is software designed to assist in maintaining and utilization large collections of data, and the need for such systems and their use.... [tags: Information Management Systems IT]
2153 words (6.2 pages)
- I. INTRODUCTION Digital images are composed of pixels. Each pixel represents the colour at a single point of the image. Rectangular array of pixels are called as a bitmap or a digital image. Advance development of image procurement and storage technology have lead to marvellous development in very huge and detailed image databases . A massive volume of image data such as digital photographs, medical images and satellite images are generated every day . Image mining can automatically extract meaningful information from a huge of image data are increasingly in demand.... [tags: Image Mining Essays]
3064 words (8.8 pages)