This paper will take a closer look at data input and also data output considerations. There are many different choices when it comes to data input/output options. While it is good to have many choices, there are usually some considerations that are required to make the best possible decision. The second section of this paper will concentrate on the difference between primary and secondary storage. Lastly, the different roles of computer components and their impact on overall computer speed will be explored.
Data Input considerations
Data input and its accuracy are very important. Without accurate data input, the whole process of processing, massaging and interpreting data may be flawed. However, data comes from a large number of different sources and therefore proper data input treatments and processes must be considered. In the first example, printed questionnaires must be input. As they are in printed form, it is important to ensure that they are clearly printed and that the paper is as clean as possible. The preferred method of inputting this data would be to scan in these pages, and then use a OCR program to convert the input into editable text. OCR stands for "Optical Character Recognition". OCR software "involves computer software designed to translate images of typewritten text (usually captured by a scanner) into machine-editable text, or to translate pictures of characters into a standard encoding scheme representing them in (ASCII or Unicode) (Wikipedia). Another form of data input may be the results of a telephone survey. Since this involves most likely recorded conversations or written surveys filled in by the telephone operator, it may require different methods of input. If the surveys are of a recor...
... middle of paper ...
...also covered. Examples were used to illustrate how different data outputs can be used to convey information. The paper also highlighted the main differences between primary and secondary storage options. A discussion followed on different types of storage devices and what their optimal implementations may look like. Lastly, the role of components in determining the speeds of computer was dissected and explained. Modern day computers are complex and powerful. If Moore's law holds up, then we will be treated to near-super-computer-powerful Personal Computers in the not too distant future.
Stair, R., & Reynolds, G. ( 200). Fundamentals of information systems second edition. 2nd ed. : Course Technology.
Wikipedia. (n.d.). Retrieved Nov. 26, 2005, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- DATA INPUT METHODS: Printed questionnaires – Depending on the type of questionnaires some form of optical data reading dives would be the best method. An OMR or Optical Mark Reader can be used in conjunction with special paper called mark sense form in order to easily input data from questionnaires where people just simply mark their answer from an already defined set of answers to a question. Another type of optical data reading that can be used with questionnaires is called OCR or optical character reader.... [tags: Data]
1570 words (4.5 pages)
- Data Input, Output, Storage and Access Methods The purpose of this paper is to highlight some best practices for data input and output. In addition, this paper will highlight appropriate uses of various storage means. Lastly, it will address the effect certain components of a computer have on its overall speed. Accuracy of Data Input There are various methods for entering data into a computer system. Depending on the medium in which the original data is contained, and how it is to be stored and used later, there can be great differences in input methods.... [tags: data ]
1240 words (3.5 pages)
- Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) Data Envelopment Analysis calculates the best-practice frontier for a given sample using piecewise linear programming. It then indicates the relative inefficiency of other units by measuring the distance between these units and the best practice frontier. These models can be input oriented (seeking to minimize inputs while retaining a constant output) or output oriented (seeking to maximize outputs while holding inputs constant). In this instance outputs would be factors indicating general wellbeing, while inputs would be the resources available to the state.... [tags: Output, Input, Input/output, Index]
819 words (2.3 pages)
- Input/ Output Storage Paper Accuracy of data input is important. It is important to know, not so much where the data comes from or how it is processed but whether the results are useful and valuable. There are many different applications to consider when deciding which method is best for data input and output devices. Not only is the input important but the quality of output is very important. Feedback on the output creates the ability to go back and correct any errors that may have been made during the initial input of data.... [tags: Computer Technology]
1134 words (3.2 pages)
- Intro The need for accurate data is evident. Systems and procedures are needed to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the information being recorded and understanding the role hardware as well as software plays is important in acquiring the correct resources for any project. Accuracy of Data Input Accuracy of data input is important. What method of data input would be best for the following situations and explain why. Printed Questionnaires. Questionnaires can be input into a computer using a keyboard and computer screen.... [tags: Data]
1216 words (3.5 pages)
- The purpose of this paper is to explain the importance of accurate data input, the quality of output, and the use of different storage devices. This paper will shed light on which device is the best to use and when to use it for data storage. Another element to be discussed is the role of RAM, of clock speed, of a hard disk, of a CD ROM, and of a floppy disk and how each device determines computer speed. Through examination and exploration of each area one will achieve a better understanding of the importance of data input, data output, the advantages/disadvantage of storage options, and computer components.... [tags: Data Computers Entry]
1171 words (3.3 pages)
- Data Input Methods Optical data readers The best data input method for printed questionnaires would be Optical Data Readers. Optical Data Readers are a special type of scanning device to be used on documents. Optical Data Readers fall under two categories, optical mark recognition (OMR) and optical character recognition (OCR) (Stair, R., Reynolds, G., 2004). Printed questionnaires which, for instance, can be used for surveying groups of people regarding a particular subject can utilize OMR through the utilization of OMR paper refer to as "mark sense form".... [tags: Database Data]
1694 words (4.8 pages)
- Input, Process and Output for I.R.C. Coursework As system analysts to ensure I.R.C get the job done I am going to introduce the three basic and main steps. These are Input, Process and Output. The first step will be using Inputs such as keyboards, mouse, scanner and many other inputs. The keyboard allows me to input and type text about special features and offers which I can include in the newsletter or the flyer to promote and advertise my business. It allows me to store information about the customers and there order details .The mouse has many features such as allowing me to point and click in a certain column and also editing any mistakes made.... [tags: Papers]
515 words (1.5 pages)
- The accuracy of data input is important within means of a business. Printed questionnaires are great for ideas of improvement and the quality of performance received from the company. Restaurants use printed questionnaires for complaints and suggestions from the customers. This is a wonderful way of accomplishing better service and reliable customers. It is also used by sensors to determine how many people are living in your home; this in turns allows them to determine how many people live in ones city.... [tags: Data Input ]
731 words (2.1 pages)
- Output, input, Storage and Speed of the Computer Printed questionnaires Intelligent Character Recognition (ICR) would be the best choice. Its the ICR technology that allows data capture software to automatically to, read information from all types of documents - even handwritten ones. Telephone survey-voice recognition is best because a voice input device can be programmed to distinguish answers spoken into the receiver allowing it to all be completed by computers. Bank checks- scanning devices that recognizes bar codes are called MICR (Magnetic Ink Character Recognition) a magnetic scanning input device.... [tags: Technology Computer]
1017 words (2.9 pages)