Fundamental to accuracy of data input is assurance that the information system will be able to properly automate the collection of information and that the end-user is aware of and understands how information should be recorded. Stair and Reynolds (2006) supports, “Input can be a manual or an automated process. A scanner at a grocery store that reads bar codes and enters the grocery item and price into a computerized cash register is a type of automated input process. Regardless of the input method, accurate input is critical to achieve the desired output.”
Printed questionnaires should be manufactured on machine-readable paper and analyzed by scanners that are capable of Optical Mark Recognition (OMR) or Optical Character Recognition (OCR) to convert the results into a digital format that is automatically placed into a database for storage. Queries can then be utilized to poll or collect information from the questionnaires. Telephone surveys should consist of precise questions that require simple answers that can be input by pressing buttons on a touchtone phone. Users who do not have a touchtone phone should be allowed to answer verbally via an interactive voice recognition system (IVR).
Bank checks should be printed on machine-readable paper utilizing magnetic ink such that machines can quickly and accurately scan the document and convert the data into a digital format. Additional security measures such as watermarks and holograms may be utilized based on level of se...
... middle of paper ...
... hard disks – seek time and data throughput. Data on a floppy disk is generally slower than CD ROMs and is generally used for storage purposes. Much of the same concepts apply to floppy disks are applied to hard disks and CD ROMs – seek time and data throughout.
There are many aspects of computing that exist today, some top of the line technology while others are becoming obsolete. What is most important is that there is accuracy of data input, convenience and quality of output, optimal storage devices, and processing speed of a computer.
Laurie J. Flynn (2005). Intel and Micron Plan Flash-Memory Venture. New York Times (Late
Edition (east Coast)), p. C.6. Retrieved March 9, 2008, from Banking Information
Stair, Ralph M & Reynolds, George W (2006). Fundamentals of Information Systems. Boston, MA: Thomson Course Technology
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... For instance, hosting companies keep redundant data files at different data centers in diverse regions to secure the stored data even after large-scale natural catastrophe (Wisegeek, 2014). Moreover, the resources, physically, may be extended over multiple servers in different sites, to which the customer has an easy remote access from any location or system having an Internet connection. On this account, the online data storage is of benefit to the hosting companies as well to the costumers.... [tags: data management, storage media]
962 words (2.7 pages)
- Storage Devices Storage devices are used to record or retrieve data in technological devices. A device that only records information is called a recording medium; it does not allow for processing of the information. They allow for ease of access for the user to retrieve any data from the device that had been previously stored. They help run programs, view page content, and even allow for interaction on some web pages. There are two types of storage in computers; a primary storage, like RAM, or Random Access Memory, and a secondary storage, like a hard drive.... [tags: computer, program, magnetic disk]
658 words (1.9 pages)
- C. Column Family Stores Like document databases, Wide-Column (or Column-Family) stores (hereafter WC/CF) employ a distributed, column-oriented data structure that accommodates multiple attributes per key. While some WC/CF stores have a Key-Value DNA (e.g., the Dynamo-inspired Cassandra),most are patterned after Google‘s Big table, the petabyte-scale internal distributed data storage system Google developed for its search index and other collections like Google Earth and Google Finance. D. Graph Databases In contrast to relational databases and the already introduced key oriented NoSQL databases, graph databases are specialized on efficient management of heavily linked data.... [tags: Database, SQL, Database model, Data model]
1023 words (2.9 pages)
- 1. Data storage Data storage is an absolute necessity at Top Dogs Trucking. As our way to maintain records of customer information, business logs, and company initiatives we use a cloud product to back up all files. We want our other software and apps to be able to retrieve or access files from multiple locations at any time. The cloud service makes this easy by using the Internet server for storage and phasing out local storage (hard drives). Cloud storage gives us a worry-free, fail safe attribute that is all about disaster recovery, protection from disk failures, and security of all files and information.... [tags: Customer relationship management]
1260 words (3.6 pages)
- There are many aspects of computing that are important: accuracy of data input, convenience and quality of output, optimal storage devices, and processing speed of a computer. What are all these things and what are the best methods or types. Data Input Fundamental to accuracy of data input is assurance that the information system will be able to properly automate the collection of information and that the end-user is aware of and understands how information should be recorded. Stair and Reynolds (2006) supports, “Input can be a manual or an automated process.... [tags: Technology Computers]
1048 words (3 pages)
- Data is collection is simply how information is gathered. A data collection is the process of collecting raw material and information on variables of interest. Data collection is an important aspect of any types of research study. Inaccurate data collection can impact the result of a study and ultimately lead to invalid results. The main purpose of data collection is to collect quality of information about a particular topic and translate the collection rich data analysis and allow the building of a convincing and credible answer to question that have been posed.... [tags: Data Collection Essays]
2536 words (7.2 pages)
- DATA INPUT METHODS: Printed questionnaires – Depending on the type of questionnaires some form of optical data reading dives would be the best method. An OMR or Optical Mark Reader can be used in conjunction with special paper called mark sense form in order to easily input data from questionnaires where people just simply mark their answer from an already defined set of answers to a question. Another type of optical data reading that can be used with questionnaires is called OCR or optical character reader.... [tags: Data]
1570 words (4.5 pages)
- The main driving forces of cloud data storage are reputable companies such as Amazon and Google building comprehensive computing infrastructures (Google, 2009). These infrastructures are removing the complexity of in-house data storage and ultimately reducing costs of limited networked data centres (Hitachi, 2010). The traditional inefficient model of purchasing servers every time you need to accommodate for high use or growth is now being replaced by internet based systems that replicate your data centres but without the big overheads (Google, 2009).... [tags: Information Technology ]
2307 words (6.6 pages)
- The Technological Need for Holographic Data Storage Digital technology has become the latest byword in entertainment and computers. Records and analog cassette tapes have been supplanted with Compact Discs, and now VCRs are being challenged by Digital Video Discs. Multimedia applications such as these consume enormous amounts of storage space, and are challenging the limits of today's storage devices. Many solutions are being put forth in an attempt to keep pace with the growth in demand for digital data storage.... [tags: Exploratory Essays Research Papers]
2282 words (6.5 pages)
- Data Input, Output, Storage and Access Methods The purpose of this paper is to highlight some best practices for data input and output. In addition, this paper will highlight appropriate uses of various storage means. Lastly, it will address the effect certain components of a computer have on its overall speed. Accuracy of Data Input There are various methods for entering data into a computer system. Depending on the medium in which the original data is contained, and how it is to be stored and used later, there can be great differences in input methods.... [tags: data ]
1240 words (3.5 pages)