The Dark Night
I was always taught to stick up for myself, to never let anyone walk over me; and if they did I was expected to handle it. I guess you could call me ‘sassy and southern’, as my daddy always joked too me. My parents raised me to watch my surroundings and too always be cautious; but one night I wasn’t able to use what I have been taught since I was little. One summer night I will never forget and I’m thankful to be alive.
I moved to Mount Holly in the early summer of this year to help out with my grandma and my family that lives here, but charlotte has always been my home. One hot summer night in august, I went to visit my friends in charlotte with my boyfriend of five years. We don’t get to see our friends much since we both live about 45 minutes away from them, so we were ecstatic when they invited us there for a bonfire, and we were actually off work and could go! Our luck quickly turned around that night for the worst.
We pulled up at my friend’s house in charlotte around 9pm that night. We drove my boyfriend’s Camaro because it’s way more fun to drive than my run down old Honda (and way faster!). As soon as we got there we went straight to the back yard and started the fire with everyone, and caught up on everybody’s crazy life. We didn’t notice my friends dog barking (he barks at everything), but boy do I wish I would have listened to his barking that night.
Time quickly went by and by around 12 we were ready to head back to our houses. Walking out to my boyfriend’s car we saw a man dressed in all black in his car doing something. Robert (my boyfriend), yelled “Hey! What are you doing!” very loudly. The man turned around quickly and we saw that he had a gun; not pointed towards us, but he definitely ...
... middle of paper ...
...ppiness for getting my things back, but more so happiness for being alive. The officer said I was lucky because this man had a motive and it wasn’t just stealing people’s items, he was a very mean man. Come to find out, the boy is younger than I am and facing a lot of time in jail.
This is one life experience I will never forget. It was far from a nice vacation or a happy memory for sure, but it’s also one I will carry with me forever, and I will always remember one thing: to watch my surroundings, and to treat others the way I want to be treated. Maybe if the man that stole my things had followed these simple rules he would be better off today, but all I can do is pray that he finds peace in his heart and that he never does something like that to anyone again. I feel more blessed than ever, and as strange as it sounds, I am very thankful for this life experience.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Secrets of the Night - Original Writing The white mist glistened in the moons sparkly light and the tracks rumbled as the old dark train sped nearer. As the rumbling became louder the lights from the front of the train could be seen. The blinding lights suddenly flashed past then there was a huge roar as it rushed on through the tunnel and out the other side, then there was total silence. There was not even a sign that the train had even been past. The air was still for a long time with no sound apart from that of an owl’s occasional hooting.... [tags: Papers]
1248 words (3.6 pages)
- I was staring into the abyss, but the abyss was staring back. I was center stage and all eyes were on me. The piano had played the key note to the song, and the rest was up to me. I asked myself over and over again, “Why am I doing this?” The sweat had started to crawl down my face like the undead rising from their graves. I knew after that day, everything will be different. Ever since the night I decided to stick to my guns and see my recital all the way through, I’ve seen life not as a series of unfortunate events, but as a jigsaw puzzle.... [tags: Anxiety, Fear, Debut albums, The Stage]
1789 words (5.1 pages)
- Scary Night - Original Writing I was now ready to depart after the party, exiting my Cousin’s house. It was a Halloween party. It was a lot of fun; to be honest the party seemed to be quite good. It was suppose to be scary, but now that I come to see it does not compare to how I felt later on during the night. You see the difference is looking at all the story I have heard about Halloween, this one that I have experienced seems a lot more realistic and frightening. I had no choice but to walk home by myself, because of the complicated story my mom told me (which of course I was not listening to).... [tags: Papers]
511 words (1.5 pages)
- Night Bride - Original Writing That feeling washed over her again. Like the blackness washing over the light. It creeps in gradually enveloping the earth, devouring the last traces of the struggling dusk. Suddenly, with the dark, plump and full on its feast of the light, everything turns a little bit uneasy, and the world shifts on a weary axis. That is how it starts. Slowly it crawls inside, eating away at her until she is filled with the dark sensations most others never admit to having.... [tags: Papers]
843 words (2.4 pages)
- The Unexpected - Original Writing The full moon gives the only light in the otherwise dark summer night. The weather is warm with a cool soothing breeze, rocking the trees in a timeless motion back and forth. The Stockholm suburbs are dark and so quiet that if a hare would run across the street you would hear him. The neighbourhood cats sit in the dark corners of the gardens, quietly, motionlessly, listening for any movements, waiting for any possible prey to attack. The main road is large and is the only connection to the city.... [tags: Papers]
466 words (1.3 pages)
- The Assassin - Original Writing It was a dark, cold, and foggy the night it took place. The fog was so powerful that I could not even see the colors of the cars as they eerily past me. My freezing cold hands were as blue as the sea and my leg felt like it was going to break from the amount of times I had slipped on the pavement it would probably. Been better to wear ice skates. I walked a little further and stop a house. I squinted my eyes to see through the thick blanket of fog.... [tags: Papers]
651 words (1.9 pages)
- Midnight - Original Writing It was late at night. It was a particularly dark night. I was nervous. You could even say frightened. The door was blue. It had, however, a serious gash to the right of the handle. It didn’t look very secure. The paint was flaking off the door with age and the rotten wood emerged like decaying bones through paper-thin skin. I thought about why I was here. I tried to think of three good reasons to push me through that door. My mind went blank. I gazed around me and took in the vaguely familiar surroundings.... [tags: Papers]
516 words (1.5 pages)
- Trapped - Original Writing It is two 0’clock in the dark misty night and the Mitchell family are on their way to fun land resort in Mexico City. It has been a stressful journey for the family of three towards Fun Land. Crossing the border into Mexico the car has been put to a halt. “Hello sir, can you open the trunk to your car please?” asked the smartly dressed inspector. The family leader (Jack) stepped out of the black saloon, walked to the back of the car and opened the trunk.... [tags: Papers]
1377 words (3.9 pages)
- One Stormy Night - Original Writing The sudden, swift, severe summer storm caught me totally unaware. I was walking down Old tree Road when the clouds started to build. I looked around as I huddled under a large, dead oak tree. Almost all of the houses on this abandoned street were too badly damaged for me to take shelter in, except for the one. The house loomed impressive and morbid in the greenish-black sky. A flash of lightning briefly illuminated the house. The windows were broken, but the superstructure seemed to be in good condition.... [tags: Papers]
469 words (1.3 pages)
- Original Writing Dark falls it’s night, a crazy, confused, cranky clever scientist is at work. Thunder is striking; thick grey clouds of smoke surround his bean-stalk tall castle giving an appearance of scariness.... [tags: Papers]
1144 words (3.3 pages)