The use of cell phones while driving has become more popular among drivers over the past ten years. Furthermore, Kiernan Hopkins states, People who text while driving tend to stray from their lanes into other lanes, other cars and even off the road altogether (paragraph 4): thus creating a danger to all who drive. Think about how often you see vehicles driving really slow on the freeways as you pass them you see them looking at their phone not paying attention to the road. For example, Kiernan Hopkins also states, a drunk driver has better reaction time than someone not paying attention to the road (paragraph 3). Laws are not enough to stop people from texting while driving. In fact, California had passed a total ban on the use of cell phones while driving studies have shown that the use of cell phones has more than doubled since the introduction to the ban. More stringent actions need to be put into place by the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration). People who text and drive are a great danger to themselves and other drivers on the roads, and we need to put an end to this ability while driving.
Car crashes have increased due to distracted drivers on the road. In addition the number of near crashes has become more frequent, since the introduction of the cell phone and the ability to text while driving. According to Shearon Roberts article, distracted drivers are the cause of 80% of all crashes and 65% near crashes.in fact (paragraph 3). A study conducted for NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) by the Virginia tech transportation institution in 2003 and 2004.the study tracked 241 drivers of 100 vehicles in North Virginia and metropolitan...
... middle of paper ...
...convenience. These devices should not be used especially while driving, as this creates driving hazards. The rise of accidents and near crashes while using cell phones should tell us that there is a problem, but many drivers do not see the dangers until it is too late. Furthermore, laws have shown to be ineffective among drivers over the years California is a prime example. Even though, no one argues that texting is dangerous while driving, some say that it is ok to talk while driving. Automobile manufacturers has seen that there is a problem and have tried to help by incorporating Bluetooth feature in to automobiles now with hopes of creating safer roads. As long as people have the ability to text and drive the problem remains and more injuries and death will occur. By taking away these features while driving forces drivers to focus on the road not their phones.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- This paper examines the dangers that arise when cell phones are used at the same time as operating a vehicle. The paper will explore the following question of why this is a problem and why the research is important. The variables investigated are the use of cell phones while driving, whether speaking or texting, and the accidents and fatalities caused from the distraction. Data of the accidents and fatalities caused by drivers distracted by their cells phones is stated to research and further explores the age group and gender of the people involved into the accidents to uncover patterns.... [tags: Driving, texting, legalization]
1795 words (5.1 pages)
- Texting while driving is a widespread epidemic in the United States that has unfavorable effects on our society.“Driving while texting is the standard wording used for traffic violations” (Bernstein). It causes many people to be distracted which can lead to accidents. “Eighty-nine percent of people own a cell phone” (Gardner). That is a plethora of people that are at risk of texting while driving. Also, texting has increased by ten times in three years(Bernstein). “The risk of a crash for those who are texting is twenty-three point two times greater than those who are not” (Gardner).Driving drunk only makes a person seven times more likely to be in a crash (Bernstein).... [tags: distracted driving]
1542 words (4.4 pages)
- “Hey guys look no hands”, is not something a family member or a friend never wants to hear from a friend or a loved one in a text message especially while that person is driving. The use of a cellphone is considered a necessity now a day among drivers that are currently on the road. People have to be socially connected with their friends all the time. Several individuals need to be constantly sending messages to their friends and family members with the use of a cellphone while driving. More and more drivers have the urge to use their cell phones while driving.... [tags: Distracted Drivers, Safety, Texting]
1247 words (3.6 pages)
- Now a days everyone is glued to their phones, constantly checking their emails, facebooking, snapchatting and texting. With all the devices people have and interact with on a day to day basis, there seems to be a lack of knowledge on how dangerous these devices really are. A report done by the AAA traffic safety foundation showed that “Each year, more than 80% of drivers in the annual AAA Foundation Traffic Safety Culture Index cite distraction as a serious problem and a behavior that makes them feel less safe on the road.” With the limited hours of free time during the day, people are using driving time to check emails and make phone calls which is inflicting on the safety of everyone aroun... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Drunk driving]
827 words (2.4 pages)
- Texting and driving is a deadly issue in today 's generation. Using our cellphones while driving is a damaging habit among teens and adults. This habit caused many catastrophic accidents and deaths. Texting while driving has made the roads unsafe for other drivers. Many states recognize the immense threat resulting from texting and driving and have placed a ban on this epidemic. While many people realize texting and driving is hazardous others believe that the ban is useless and not strong enough of a solution.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, United States]
1169 words (3.3 pages)
- Texting and driving in every possible way is dangerous and very irresponsible, it can also lead to losing your own life or someone else’s life. Texting while driving or even talking on the phone has become very common, but states are cracking down. As stated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than ten million drivers in the United States are using their cell phone while behind the wheel. The reaction to safety concerns , some states, municipalities and foreign countries have banned certain types of cell phone use, while driving, for example handheld cell phone use, use of wireless phones by novice, juvenile drivers or texting.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging]
1336 words (3.8 pages)
- Dangers of Driving While Texting At any given moment, one in five drivers around are texting on their phone while driving(Scholastic Action 2010). Cell phones have created a huge problem in America. Nearly 100 percent of vehicles have a cell phone in the car while driving, often times in arms reach. Crashes caused by distracted drives kill thousands of innocent people every year. In todays society Americans cannot go without a cell phone for several minutes. For instance in classes many students are on their phone before class starts.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Cellular network]
1193 words (3.4 pages)
- In today's technology driven world, we are constantly distracted with electronic devices such as a laptop or television or even our phones. These technological devices, while a helpful aid in our daily lives, serve as a dangerous distraction for us and those who surround us. In his piece, “Attention Deficit: The Brain Syndrome of Our Era”, Richard Restak describes the dangers of how these devices are causing for an increase in distractions in our every day lives. He also concluded that technology has caused for our attention and focus to be split beyond what is necessary in order for people to be totally safe.... [tags: technology, distraction, cell phone, safety]
1444 words (4.1 pages)
- As technology advances, people become notorious for using their electronics in inappropriate situations. Teenagers in present day commonly text at the dinner table, while crossing a street, and even while driving. Not only do teenagers text, their parents do, as well. Texting is a frequent fad among the young adults, it also a convenient method for parents to keep in contact with their children. People nowadays have to be in contact with friends and family at every moment of the day especially while driving it is the equivalent of driving under the influence, using hand-held devices (like Bluetooth) will decrease the number of accidents caused by phones, and studies show texting reduces a p... [tags: Driving Texting]
1057 words (3 pages)
- Texting while driving is a form of ‘distracted driving.’ The term not only applys to using cell phones when behind the wheel, but also to actions such as eating, drinking, putting on make-up, smoking, and using other devices such as iPods and GPSs. These activities lead to “inattention blindness” which defers drivers focus from the road to the device within their line of view. Distracted driving has thoroughly increased since the invention of new technologies. Texting is physically and visually impairing while driving (Hanes, Massis).... [tags: Distracted Driving]
759 words (2.2 pages)