Littering is the act of disposing of trash and unwanted materials improperly. The effects of littering are far more worse than some people think. Animals die, soil is less fertile, environments and habitats suffer, and quality of life decreases from litter. Not only can living things be harmed by litter; property and land is effected just as much. If a community or neighborhood has garbage on sidewalks, roads, or in yards of homes, property values of homes in the area can drop up to 7% (“Litter Prevention”, 6).
There is a wide range of information about littering people are not aware of, which is more than likely a reason a majority of people are not concerned about it. Information such as what is considered as litter, the most common areas for people to litter, ridiculous reasons why people litter, and the costs of littering. Educating humans with this information is key to preventing litter from becoming worse and more dangerous.
Each person has their own opinion on what is and is not considered as litter. When people litter food particles they feel as though they are doing a good ...
... middle of paper ...
...er. Step up, be a role model, and prove it is rewarding to live in a clean and safe country.
Burrage, Adam. “Pollution.” R U Bothered. N.D. Web. 8 Mar. 2011.
“Litter”. Webster’s Online Dictionary. N.D. Web. 16 Mar. 2011.
“Litter Facts.” Minnesota Department of Transportation. 2010-2011. Web. 14 Mar. 2011.
“Litter Prevention.” Keep America Beautiful Inc. 2006. Web. 14 Mar. 2011.
N.D. Web. 8 Mar. 2011.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- ... The ocean debris can disrupt the food chain: Plankton is threatened, which results in fish starving. This not only puts sharks and larger marine animals in danger of starving, but it also closes businesses throughout the world. As more fishing industries are shut down, more individuals become unemployed, which results in a weak economy. Finally, and most tragically, wildlife is killed by trash. As stated by West Virginia University, “Every year, millions of birds, fish, and animals die from litter.” Many factors contribute to the demise of these animals.... [tags: consequences, fertilizers, convenient, garbage]
773 words (2.2 pages)
- Cyber socializing is very popular among society today. It is one of the most popular ways of communicating with, says long distance relatives, but is cyber socializing really safe. These sites are used by all ages and around the world, and not always used for the right reasons. Some of the most popular websites are Facebook, twitter, and instgram. People put their lives on these sites. From pictures to every emotion or feeling they have. Not being aware of the danger the may put themselves in. There have been many cases of bullying among cyber socializing sites.... [tags: Dangers of Social Networking]
1182 words (3.4 pages)
- Littering is not a new issue. In fact, littering has been an ongoing topic that has seen both periods of great attention and periods of neglect. A period of great attention being the 1970s, featuring Iron Eyes Cody, the "crying Indian," in the Keep America Beautiful commercial. During this time efforts were made to curb litter, and, as the title suggests, improve the appearance of the nation. Currently, the matter of littering is less prevalent. Reasons for this are debatable, but other concerns such as the economy and the state of international affairs certainly have an impact.... [tags: Personal Essays]
1015 words (2.9 pages)
- Dangers in the causes of illiteracy To be literate is to have “the ability to read, write and speak English proficiently, to compute and solve problems, and to use technology in order to become a life-long learner and to be effective in the family, in the workplace and in the community” (Roman 81). Literacy is a foundation to almost everything in daily life, from the most basic information on food labels to the most important notice on bank accounts. Reading and writing is crucial to know and useful to have.... [tags: Literacy, Information literacy, Poverty]
1027 words (2.9 pages)
- Spring is finally here, and Spring Break and the Senior Prom are around corner. The teenagers and the college kids are planning a drive to the tanning salons or a day at the beach. The media has instilled in women that tan skin is a sign of youth and sex appeal. Some people go to the tanning salons and others spend hours outside in the sun to achieve the sun goddess look. Many don’t realize the dangers that come with the sun or a box with light bulbs that has more UVA radiation than the sun does.... [tags: Health ]
1205 words (3.4 pages)
- Dangers of the Internet There are many pitfalls and perils on the Internet. Some of them are easy to avoid while other are not so obvious. Some of the Pitfalls and perils are annoying, while others are deadly to your computer. Still others are humorous and entertaining. There are many dangers on the Internet. This paper will try to cover some of them. The biggest dangers of the Internet are virus. Viruses are small programs that "infect" computers. Most viruses are made to "steal" and or "destroy" data stored on the infected computer.... [tags: Expository Essays]
1017 words (2.9 pages)
- Tattoos are becoming a popular phenomenon that is seen everywhere. Today’s youth are getting permanent tattoos to be cool and trendy, but are not considering the long-term effects. Teenagers should be aware of all that body modification may include, it is not just a pretty picture. Adolescences must consider the dangers and conscientious result of attaining diseases, being underage, and having a permanent mark on their body. The unsanitary conditions of getting a tattoo tend to go unnoticed by teenagers.... [tags: Body Art]
660 words (1.9 pages)
- The Dangers of Technology Within the past two years computers have become a new way of doing business, enjoying various forms of entertainment, and interacting with others for the majority of our nation. Almost every aspect of technical work in industry today involves the computer in some way. It is hard to find something in the world at this present time that wasn’t either made by a computer program, or houses a computer of its own. Keeping this in mind while reading Ray Kurzweil’s article “The Virtual Thomas Edison” makes one realize just how much humans depend on computers, and Kurzweil’s hypothesizes that “Within three decades machines will be as intelligent as human beings”(Kurzweil... [tags: Papers]
702 words (2 pages)
- I had a very close friend; his name is Jeremy. He is only twenty-six years old. His life is fading fast. He had a home, a family, a long time girlfriend and a four year old son. Jeremy’s mom, brothers, aunts and uncles are all losing touch with him. He had a great job with insurance, benefits and job security. He was fired a few months ago. He has sold his car, personal items, furniture and things you wouldn’t even imagine for fast cash. Jeremy begs and barrows money from what family and friends he has left to only end the relationship with them because he knows he will never pay them back.... [tags: essays research papers]
955 words (2.7 pages)
- The Dangers of Tattoos Many people think that tattooing is dangerous. Part of this is because people don’t think that the tattoo artists sterilize their materials. Others believe that tattoos have a high risk of infection. And the most commonly reported problems are allergic reactions. Others feel as though the pain factor is too immense. Although these fears are common they are easily prevented. Most of the people who believe these things aren’t fully informed with information. The sterilization process for the materials used is extremely important.... [tags: essays research papers]
849 words (2.4 pages)