At any given moment, one in five drivers around are texting on their phone while driving(Scholastic Action 2010). Cell phones have created a huge problem in America. Nearly 100 percent of vehicles have a cell phone in the car while driving, often times in arms reach. Crashes caused by distracted drives kill thousands of innocent people every year. In todays society Americans cannot go without a cell phone for several minutes. For instance in classes many students are on their phone before class starts.
Driving distorted is very dangerous. I will tell you straightforward I catch myself texting and answering phone class while driving often. Because driving distorted is such a problem, writing this paper will give others a better understanding of the dangers of texting and driving. A report done by the Consumer Reports National Research Center shows that two-thirds of survey respondents had seen other driver on their phone while driving in the last 30 days(Consumer Reports 2011).It’s anything that takes ones eyes or mental focus off the road.
5,474 people were killed and half a million were injured due to distracted driving(Consumer Reports 2011). The biggest problem is young adults and teenagers when you are young you think nothing will happen to you. In 2009 a study found that physically dialing a phone while driving increase the risk of a crash as much as six times(consumer reports 2011). When texting and talking on the phone it takes ones eyes off the road which causes you to be driving blind.
In the society we live in today no one wants to miss out. We are so caught up are whats going on social media. For instance if you go out for dinner look around how many tables people are on their ph...
... middle of paper ...
...t only way that it will be greatly impacted is if drivers put their cell phone down.
Studies say that when you text when you are driving you loose minimal of five-seconds is the amount time your attention is taken away from the road(Over The Edge 2014). The craziest thought that came to mind when writing essay was texting and driving is 100 percent avoidable, put down your phone and focus on driving. I think the key to stop texting and driving is more education. Put the information all over, because whenever I am driving and see something it makes me put the phone down. I hope as a society we start taking text and driving as a more serious offense, maybe then we would put the phone down and concentrate on driving. The last message I sent when I wrote this paper was “yeah” that’s not worth my life. Look at your last text you sent on your phone is it worth your life?
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Dangers of Driving While Texting At any given moment, one in five drivers around are texting on their phone while driving(Scholastic Action 2010). Cell phones have created a huge problem in America. Nearly 100 percent of vehicles have a cell phone in the car while driving, often times in arms reach. Crashes caused by distracted drives kill thousands of innocent people every year. In todays society Americans cannot go without a cell phone for several minutes. For instance in classes many students are on their phone before class starts.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Cellular network]
1193 words (3.4 pages)
- Texting while driving is a widespread epidemic in the United States that has unfavorable effects on our society.“Driving while texting is the standard wording used for traffic violations” (Bernstein). It causes many people to be distracted which can lead to accidents. “Eighty-nine percent of people own a cell phone” (Gardner). That is a plethora of people that are at risk of texting while driving. Also, texting has increased by ten times in three years(Bernstein). “The risk of a crash for those who are texting is twenty-three point two times greater than those who are not” (Gardner).Driving drunk only makes a person seven times more likely to be in a crash (Bernstein).... [tags: distracted driving]
1542 words (4.4 pages)
- In recent years, distracted driving has become a major plague that has infected our nation’s roads. Regardless of the risks, millions of people text while driving. Driving while texting or reading text messages for that matter is responsible for limitless problems. Texting while driving causes a decrease of attention once he or she looks away from the road, a distraction from the road and other motorist around them, and limited physical control over the ever changing road. Whether people believe one can safely text while driving, or just do not feel there is any danger in taking their eyes off the road does not matter.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Instant messaging]
1088 words (3.1 pages)
- Even though it is difficult to enforce, texting while driving should be made illegal nationwide due to an increased risk of being involved in an accident and diverts attention from driving. With the substantial advancement in communication technologies, cell phones have become an important part of national culture and are being used every day by people of nearly all ages. They are utilized during dinners, watching television, school, walking and more significantly, driving. Although drunk driving, not wearing seat belts, and speeding are still prevalent issues across the globe, the usage of mobile phones are increasingly receiving attention in regards to their effect on driving performance a... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Road safety, SMS]
1518 words (4.3 pages)
- Samantha is on her way home from work, driving 55 mph, and her husband texts her to see if she can pick up some milk from the grocery store for supper. She grabs her phone and reads the message. She looks up at the road before she replies to him and she is head on with another car 10 feet away from her, she slams on the breaks and swerves to try to miss the car. She rolls her car three times, landing in the ditch, where the car is upside down. The gentlemen in the other car calls 911. Police, ambulance, and fire trucks show up at the scene.... [tags: Traffic Laws, Car Accidents]
1483 words (4.2 pages)
- “Each day in the United States, more than 9 people are killed and more than 1,153 people are injured in crashes that are reported to involve a distracted driver” (CDC). Advances in cell phone technology has made the generation we live in dependent upon them. Cell phones today are like mini computers so being distracted is not difficult at all, especially behind the wheel. What exactly is distracted driving. Most people believe that texting while driving is the only thing that is considered distracted driving.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Driver's license]
1339 words (3.8 pages)
- OMG: Communicating in the Twenty-First Century Text messaging is the trendiest way to communicate in the twenty-first century. However, texting while driving is now the leading cause of death among teenagers – surpassing drinking and driving, according to a study by Cohen Children’s Medical Center. Alarming statistics from the report state that more than 3,000 teens die each year in crashes caused by texting while driving, and more than 50 percent of teens admit to texting while driving (Texting, 2013).... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Telephone exchange]
1561 words (4.5 pages)
- If you 're familiar with any kind of news distribution medium, you 're well aware that the media likes to sensationalize negative stories. Yet when it comes texting while driving and the impacts thereof, the facts themselves are sensational enough. It 's almost unbelievable that individuals are witness to the catastrophic effects of texting while driving and still choose to do so. I myself once chose to indulge in this dangerous behavior. For the first several months that I had my driver 's license, I was putting my life in danger almost every time I drove.... [tags: Text messaging, Mobile phone, Family, Automobile]
1000 words (2.9 pages)
- The cdc.gov says, "Everyday more that 9 people are killed in the united states and more than 1,153 people are injured in car crashes that are reported involving a distracted driver."Distracted driving is driving while doing another activity that takes drivers ' attention away from driving. An everyday activity that is dangerous is being distracted while driving. Three situations that can cause driving to be dangerous are texting while driving, being under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs while operating a vehicle,being distracted by passengers inside the car.... [tags: English-language films, Automobile, Distraction]
705 words (2 pages)
- Dangers of Texting and Using Cell Phones While Driving The use of cell phones while driving has become more popular among drivers over the past ten years. Furthermore, Kiernan Hopkins states, People who text while driving tend to stray from their lanes into other lanes, other cars and even off the road altogether (paragraph 4): thus creating a danger to all who drive. Think about how often you see vehicles driving really slow on the freeways as you pass them you see them looking at their phone not paying attention to the road.... [tags: Mobile phone, Text messaging, Automobile]
1229 words (3.5 pages)