About 25 percent of car accidents each year involved the use of a cell phone. Those accidents would also include hands-free calling which is what most people believe is the safer way to talk and drive without distraction. In some states they have banned the use of cell phones while driving period, with or without using hands-free. Arkansas, California, Delaware. Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Nevada, New York, Oklahoma, Oregon, Washington and West Virginia are all the states that banned the use of cell phones and the use hands-free calling. With more accidents rising and more deaths occurring from cell phone based accidents many states are passing new laws to prevent accidents from distracted driving. (Distracted Driving Awareness Month…)
In December 2012, “Distracted Driving |National Highway…” posted statistics that show that an estimated value of 171.3 billion text messag...
... middle of paper ...
• "More About RECHARGE." 5 Truths About Teens and Screens: Effects of TV, Cell Phones, Computers, Video Games. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 May 2014.
• "Points of view reference center."Ebscohost. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Apr. 2014.
• "Points of view reference center." Ebscohost. N.p., n.d. Web. 24 Apr. 2014.
• "The Evolution of Cell Phone Design Between 1983-2009." Webdesigner Depot RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 9 May 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Although cell phones appear to be harmless devices, they are proven to be detrimental and unsafe to prolonged users. Cell phone users need to be more aware of the potential consequences of improper usage. Mobile phone radiation and health concerns have elevated, especially after the enormous increase in the use of mobile phones. Furthermore, texting while driving is a risk that many individuals take, and could lead to serious, life-threatening consequences. Nevertheless, there are quite a few solutions that may help a cell phone user in preventing the potential consequences of prolonged cell phone use.... [tags: Technology/Health]
599 words (1.7 pages)
- Nearly 1.6 million accidents happen annually because of cell phones. Cell phones can be a major danger to anyone who is using them. People do not realize that they are not only putting their own lives in danger, but they are putting others at risk also. When people are driving they tend to take their eyes off the road, which can cause a distraction and eventually lead to accidents. Cell phones can cause hearing loss. There are many solutions on how to solve texting and driving. Cell phones play a dangerous role in today’s world because they are a major distraction to people who are driving, they cause health problems, however there are solutions to these problems.... [tags: texting and driving, hearing loss]
595 words (1.7 pages)
- Imagine, you are late for work and you have to be there as soon as possible. You do not have time to use the house phone to call work, so you get in your car and while you are driving down the road, you use your cell phone to call your boss. You look down for exactly 5 seconds, and you never look up again. Now tell me, are cell phones dangerous. Not only can cell phones be dangerous on the road, they are dangerous off the road. Many people do not understand how harmful they can be, which is what I am here to tell you.... [tags: texting, accidents, teenagers, harmful]
515 words (1.5 pages)
- In today’s society, having a cell phone is almost a necessity to the average person. With the increase of modern technology, cell phones have become a handheld personal computer, with the ability to navigate, communicate, and store massive amounts of information. Although these tools are very useful, the question of whether the tools of the cell phone are safe or not are constantly raised. I believe that cell phones are dangerous, because of threat posed to safety, academic integrity, and communication skills in our society.... [tags: Privacy Invasion, Social Issues]
2664 words (7.6 pages)
- ... If there is an accident the person can call for people for help. If there ever an issue of safety, since a cell phone small and light weight the person might able to text or call for help without being notice. Cell phones make it more convenience for a person safety because cell phone allows us to communicate with other. Cell phones allow us to keep in touch with family and friends. Simple-style cell phones can be preset and used for even young kids (Moseley). Important contact information can be preset so if there is an emergency, people can just press the button and it goes straight to the person.... [tags: communication, addiction, driving]
755 words (2.2 pages)
- The Unknown Dangers of Cell Phones When I was sixteen years old, I wanted a cell phone more than anything. Not only did all my friends have them, but my parents did not allow me to talk to my boyfriend Jimmy. So I thought having a cell phone would be the instant solution to all my problems. Not only would I be able to talk to Jimmy whenever I wanted but having a cell phone would give me so much more independence. Not to mention the fact that they were extremely glamorous and simply the thing to have.... [tags: Health Communication Papers]
2567 words (7.3 pages)
- Most people don’t abide by the rules and regulations of the road. Most people don’t even know that they are breaking the law because they do it so often. Talking on the cell phone and driving has become a very popular thing these days. Technology is coming out with the newest phones that can do everything for you and people are attracted to that. There are people that don’t have hands free and drive their car with only one hand, people that text and totally take their eye off the road and type conversations to each other.... [tags: Distracted Driving Argument Cell Phone]
1037 words (3 pages)
- Cell phones are a remarkable piece of technology, and they’re used all over the world and for communicating with one another. Millions of people use them for either personal or business. Cell phones started booming in the late 80’s and have sky rocketed since then with their cool sleek designs, stylish colors, and the capability of using the internet. Cell phones started out with Motorola first and now have many carriers that provides cell phone service. Cell phones are great to have but not using them correctly could be dangerous.... [tags: Cell Phones]
511 words (1.5 pages)
- A cell phone is a long-array, electronic device that is been used for mobile telecommunications, data transmission (text messaging or mobile telephony) over a cellular network of particular base station which is known as cell sites. Moreover, the current cell phone offers a lot of services which include SMS for text messaging, packet switching for internet access, email, gaming, infrared, MP3 player, GPS, radio, television, Bluetooth, Camera with a video recorder and MMS for receiving and sending videos and photos.... [tags: Mobile Phones, Telecommunication, Medical]
1024 words (2.9 pages)
- Author; Matt Sundeen Wireless telecommunication technologies are rapidly becoming a significant concern in regard to highway safety. Almost 90 million people subscribe to wireless telephone services, and 85 percent of those subscribers use their phones while driving to conduct business, report emergencies, stay in touch with loved ones, call for assistance, and report aggressive or drunk drivers. It's not just phones on the road anymore. In 1999, two major auto manufacturers -General Motors and Ford- formed agreements with telecommunications companies that will enhance wireless features in even more vehicles.... [tags: Cell Phones]
1407 words (4 pages)