In today’s society, having a cell phone is almost a necessity to the average person. With the increase of modern technology, cell phones have become a handheld personal computer, with the ability to navigate, communicate, and store massive amounts of information. Although these tools are very useful, the question of whether the tools of the cell phone are safe or not are constantly raised. I believe that cell phones are dangerous, because of threat posed to safety, academic integrity, and communication skills in our society.
The most prominent danger that exists with cell phones is threat they pose to safety. One threat to safety is the invasion of privacy. An invasion of privacy is defined as “the intrusion of one’s personal belongings property, which will leave him/her vulnerable to theft” (Legal Dictionary). This theft could range from physical property, to the person’s identity such as credit card, or social security information. If personal information is disclosed to the wrong person, there could be dire consequences. Saved information in the phone may allow for someone else to easily log into certain applications and retrieve personal information. Geotagging, which is the assignment of a location to photos, videos, or other posts made on the internet, could also lead to potential danger. With this technological integrity compromised, the issue of physical safety is also at stake.
A study on mobile phone theft conducted by Home Office Research Studies states that one major area that is affected is crime, where in most studies, the root of many robberies was a cell phone device. Phone theft is a more recent and popular crime within the last 10-15 years, with the motives similar to traditional robberies. A thief will st...
... middle of paper ...
...rnal of Business and Social Science 3. Web. 7 May 2014.
"ostracism." Dictionary.com. Dictionary.com, Web. 7 May 2014.
"R U There? Ostracism by Cell Phone Text Messages." Group Dynamics: Theory, Research, and Practice 8: 291-301. Web. 7 May 2014.
Nasar, Jack, Peter Hecht, and Richard Wener. "‘Call if You Have Trouble’: Mobile Phones and Safety among College Students." International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 31: 876-873. Web. 7 May 2014.
Schwarz, Rebecca M.. "CELL PHONE COMMUNICATION VERSUS FACE-TO-FACE COMMUNICATION: THE EFFECT OF MODE OF COMMUNICATION ON RELATIONSHIP SATISFACTION AND THE DIFFERENCE IN QUALITY OF COMMUNICATION ." Print.
Kuznekoff, Jeffrey H., and Scott Titsworth. "The Impact of Mobile Phone Usage on Student Learning." Communication Education 62: 233-252. Web. 7 May 2014.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- As technology further advances and becomes more evident in today’s society, it creates an overlooked issue with regard to teenager’s use of cell phones. There is no arguing that cell phones can be implemented in a positive manner by making it easier for us to keep in touch with people locally, as well as around the world. However, when not used in moderation cell phones most definitely have a detrimental impact on today’s modern teens. This is not something that has suddenly evolved from nothing, as Albert Einstein predicted, “I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction.... [tags: cell phones, technology, sexting]
1483 words (4.2 pages)
- Cell phones are a remarkable piece of technology, and they’re used all over the world and for communicating with one another. Millions of people use them for either personal or business. Cell phones started booming in the late 80’s and have sky rocketed since then with their cool sleek designs, stylish colors, and the capability of using the internet. Cell phones started out with Motorola first and now have many carriers that provides cell phone service. Cell phones are great to have but not using them correctly could be dangerous.... [tags: Cell Phones]
511 words (1.5 pages)
- Computers, Ipads, and cell phones are just some of the advances in technology. These inventions have made human lives easier; however, they hinder the unity of families and a person's concept of actuality. Out of the recent advances in portable electronics, cell phones seem to be the product people rely on the most. Upon accessing this device, people forget the person who is physically with them and their current environment. An in-depth phone conversation distracts a human from his or her surroundings, and people tend to bump into one another causing potentially dangerous situations.... [tags: reality, cell phones, technology,]
730 words (2.1 pages)
- People out for a fun night together and everyone looking down at their phones. Everyone shooting texts, updating social media and answering calls. Cell phones have truly changed the way how people connect to other people. Thirty years ago you would have to walk up to the cute guy at the bar, but with modern technology you can just shoot him a text instead. When many people think of the dangers of cell phones they think of all the accidents that they cause by distracted drivers. Many people don’t realize that not only distracted driving makes cell phones dangerous but with just modern day use can cause health problems and put people at risk with pedophiles.... [tags: accidents, distracted drivers, messaging]
1149 words (3.3 pages)
- Although cell phones appear to be harmless devices, they are proven to be detrimental and unsafe to prolonged users. Cell phone users need to be more aware of the potential consequences of improper usage. Mobile phone radiation and health concerns have elevated, especially after the enormous increase in the use of mobile phones. Furthermore, texting while driving is a risk that many individuals take, and could lead to serious, life-threatening consequences. Nevertheless, there are quite a few solutions that may help a cell phone user in preventing the potential consequences of prolonged cell phone use.... [tags: Technology/Health]
599 words (1.7 pages)
- Imagine, you are late for work and you have to be there as soon as possible. You do not have time to use the house phone to call work, so you get in your car and while you are driving down the road, you use your cell phone to call your boss. You look down for exactly 5 seconds, and you never look up again. Now tell me, are cell phones dangerous. Not only can cell phones be dangerous on the road, they are dangerous off the road. Many people do not understand how harmful they can be, which is what I am here to tell you.... [tags: texting, accidents, teenagers, harmful]
515 words (1.5 pages)
- Most people don’t abide by the rules and regulations of the road. Most people don’t even know that they are breaking the law because they do it so often. Talking on the cell phone and driving has become a very popular thing these days. Technology is coming out with the newest phones that can do everything for you and people are attracted to that. There are people that don’t have hands free and drive their car with only one hand, people that text and totally take their eye off the road and type conversations to each other.... [tags: Distracted Driving Argument Cell Phone]
1037 words (3 pages)
- The number of cell phone users has grown drastically in recent years. In fact, many people have become so fond of these devices that they use their phones even while they should be directing their attention at the road. Based on a 2005 study conducted with Australian motorists, drivers who play around with their cell phones are four times more likely to become involved in a serious accident than those that were not distracted by a phone (“Cell Phone Use Distracts Drivers”). Obviously, then, people are jeopardizing their own well-being as well as the safety of others when they choose to drive while on the cell phone.... [tags: Mobile phone, Bluetooth, Rotary dial]
915 words (2.6 pages)
- Cell phone are dangerous Cell phones are reception has become reliable of high quality due to advances in wireless technology. Wireless service providers offer excellent packages and promotions for cell phone users. Cell phones have become a necessity for many people throughout the world. The ability to keep in touch with family, business associates, and access to email is important but cell phones can be dangerous. Cell phones are dangerous because they can cause health problems, they will affects people 's social life, they can causes sleep loss, and they causes accident.... [tags: Mobile phone, Cellular network]
1136 words (3.2 pages)
- The introduction of the cell phones in the United States dates back to the eighties. The spread and usage of cell phones in the global market has steadily increased over the years. People, adults and children, are now days using cell phones to a large context. There are a myriad of reasons why many people use the cell-phones; the gadgets aid in the transmission of information from one person to the other over a short time frame. This is regardless of whether the target receptor is at home, driving an automobile, in the office, and while attending to other important chores.... [tags: Mobile phone, Cellular network, Rotary dial]
2019 words (5.8 pages)