In the article, “The Danger of Requiring Computer Science in K-12 Schools”, author Mark Guzdial comments on President Obama’s Computer Science for All initiative, which calls for more funding and expansion of computer science programs (Smith). Guzdial has several main concerns when it comes to requiring computer science rather than keeping it as an elective curriculum in K-12 education. He states that we do not know how to initiate and regulate required curriculum, there are not enough teachers for all schools, teachers are not qualified to teach, and that some students would be left behind in such classes. In his view, it would be better to require computer science education at the college level, rather than primary and secondary education lev...
... middle of paper ...
...million more jobs in the tech sector than graduates to fill them in the next ten years (Westervelt). There is a dire need for computer science education in our primary and secondary schools in order to gain awareness and interest in these jobs to help end the rising shortage of computer specialists. Children begin using computers and technology with software nearly as soon as they can walk, and it is imperative that future generations have a basic understanding of what they’re using and how it works. With education of teachers, a broader approach of CS education for students that begins as young as kindergarten to inspire and embolden them in new ways, and increase not only the diversity of our computer fields, but also help fulfill the worldwide shortage of those pursuing those goals. As with President Obama’s initiative, computer science really can be for everyone.
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- In the study of cognitive science, there are numerous areas of study that are cumulatively relevant to understanding the both the ways in which humans think about daily issues, and the reasons behind the decisions they make when confronted with various dilemmas presented to them. One of the most benign methods of illuminating the details of these processes (and thus the underlying morality behind them) is the hypothetical thought experiment. One of these is the trolley problem. It contains two scenarios that state: 1) A runaway trolley is barreling down the railway tracks.... [tags: Mind, Thought, Psychology, Cognition]
1040 words (3 pages)
- When I was in middle school, I had totally no idea of what Computer Science is, but I was pretty proficient in using computers at that age. The only thing that I knew about Computer Science is that one of my aunts is in that field and that’s all, nor of my parents are in that major. Not until in High School that I got the sense of what programming is like. I was taught basic simple codings and I really enjoyed it and thought that the class was actually quite fun. But the class didn’t give me any sense of the important real-world applications of Computer Science.... [tags: Computer science, Computer, Computer graphics]
1074 words (3.1 pages)
- Computer The technology in these days is considered help hand for everything to do our work with fewer errors and faster time. As we know many people in these days using the computer each day for doing their work and assignments or just for spending fun time. Computer word does not just mean hardware and software but means more than that. It means everything related to technology such as infrastructure, networks, and programming languages. Computer facilities have three primary computer specialists that are computer science, computer information system, and computer information technology.... [tags: Software engineering, Computer science, Computer]
830 words (2.4 pages)
- The Profile: Computer Science Computer scientists are stereotypically mistaken for nerds. Society sees them as geeks who spend almost their entire life staring at a monitor. "Another historic issue has been the nerd stereotype, or the related perception that computer science is only for boys, both of which reduce “coolness” among teenagers and thus student turnout," said Hadi Partovi, the founder/investor of Quora. In a Forbes article Partovi mentioned the problem with how society views computer enthusiasts as a group of people.... [tags: Computer science, Computer, Computer programming]
1210 words (3.5 pages)
- Concepts of Feature Computer Science In the 21s century, the field of computer science is experiencing fundamental transformations. In this article “Three New Concepts of Future Computer Science” was written as an observation result of a new computer science resulted from the six-year Sino-USA computer science leadership exchanges. The authors of this article , Zhi-Wei and Dan-Dan Tun, list three new concepts of the future computer science: computational lens, computational thinking, and ternary computing.... [tags: Computer science, Computer, Fields of science]
1035 words (3 pages)
- Statement of Purpose In the pristine place of Goa where parties and fun is at its peak, I was present there for the coding competition of Google. Though standing runner-up I learnt the vital phase of fun with work, in this Endeavour. This competition paved the way for me to pursue Master in Computer Science, which would help me to be a Google employee. Being in the kernel of technological and computing revolution, the field of Artificial Intelligence tends to change the human-computer interaction.... [tags: Computer science, Computer]
1015 words (2.9 pages)
- An important field in computer science today is artificial intelligence. The novel approaches that computer scientists use in this field are looked to for answers to many of the problems that have not been solved through traditional approaches to software engineering thus far. One of the concepts studied and implemented for a variety of tasks in artificial intelligence today is neural networks; they have proven successful in offering an approach to some problems in the field, but they also have some failings.... [tags: Computer Science]
1080 words (3.1 pages)
- Most clients see a PC at the front and utilize the graphical client interfaces. The first occasion when I utilized a PC, it interested me to know how these interfaces function, the hypothesis behind PCs and the strategy of how they function. I am a quick to promote my Computer Science learning. Contemplating Computing, ICT and Maths at A-Level has expanded my craving to need to know more about this subject. Besides I trust that my two week work experience arrangement, situated in IT support at ARM Holdings, gave me an incredible understanding into how a worldwide Computing business functions and affirmed that I needed to go into processing.... [tags: Computer, Software engineering, Computer science]
1212 words (3.5 pages)
- Computer Science is an extensive field with plenty of options to choose from, whether you want to create a new software that will make the development of a certain task easier to perform, to monitor and modify existing programs to make them work faster and more efficiently, to understand the structure of new technology and having the ability to fix it if something goes wrong, or simply keeping up with the new machines that as years go by, are becoming more necessary for our daily lives, this is the field you will definitely pursue.... [tags: Software engineering, Computer, Computer science]
1195 words (3.4 pages)
- Introduction Hardware can be daunting. The following is a brief look at why every computer science major should be knowledgeable in the acronyms that abound within the computer industry. Overwhelming Factors Budding computer science majors can be thankful to Ken Thompson’s desire to travel space. It was this desire that maintained a failed attempt of an operating system by a joint venture of General Electric, Bell Labs, and Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The operating system was named Multics and was abandoned in the late sixties, yet Ken Thompson had programmed a game he named Space Travel for Multics and it still needed an operating system on which to run.... [tags: Computer Science]
950 words (2.7 pages)